Windows 10 1909 issue with some programs

Hi guys,

I am having some issues with some programs that would just not open after a fresh install of Windows 10 1909 on a new computer. The programs work fine in windows 1903 but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what is going on.

If I boot in safe mode, the program opens.

If i run it in sandboxie, it opens too.

I tried disabling my antivirus (Eset Smart Security(, nothing. Looked around windows defender too, but couldn't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know what else to do.

Hello,

I noticed you mentioned you are using ESET Smart Security.  While it may not be related, ESET discontinued that particular program three years ago (last version appears to be 10.1.245.0).  You might want to consider uninstalling it and using the replacement program, ESET Internet Security, as it is a free upgrade.  Neowin mentioned the latest version here (version 13.0.22.0).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I noticed you mentioned you are using ESET Smart Security.  While it may not be related, ESET discontinued that particular program three years ago (last version appears to be 10.1.245.0).  You might want to consider uninstalling it and using the replacement program, ESET Internet Security, as it is a free upgrade.  Neowin mentioned the latest version here (version 13.0.22.0).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks for the reply Aryeh

Sorry, it is Eset Internet Security and not Smart security, my mistake there, and I am using version 13.0.22.0.

I am also using the same version on my Virtual Machine.

Everything works fine in my VM (that has windows 1903), but not the main computer.

I have process hacker 2, and have it open while I run the program in question, and I can see that  it opens on the list (not on the screen), then it gets killed straight away.

So I am really confused of what is going on.

Hello,

Have you checked with the author of the program?  Perhaps there is some change which needs to be made for Windows 10 Version 1909.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Can you mention just what programs they are? Maybe someone else that runs them can chime in if they knew what the problem apps are.

yea, what Zag said.  Would be helpful to know what the program(s) are. 

Have you tried running them in compatible mode?

Now, if they are cracked/illegally downloaded programs ... we can not provide assistance.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, the program in question is Tableau Desktop, and no, it is not a cracked program. It is their trial version that you can download from their website.

I have contacted them and posted in their forums.

I did try running in compatible mode, but no luck there.

The other programs are ones that a friend of mine coded, and managed to run them in compatible mode.

So the only issue is with Tableau Desktop.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Ok, the guys at Tableau helped me with the issue.

For anyone that is interested, here is the issue and how to fix.

Published: 19 Aug 2019
Last Modified Date: 25 Nov 2019

Issue

Unable to launch Tableau Desktop (or Tableau Reader). You may notice that the product does not start when double clicking on its icon and no error message appears.

Environment

Tableau Desktop (or Tableau Reader) 2018.3 or newer

Windows

AMD Ryzen 9 3000 Series processor

Resolution

Try one of the following options:

Option 1

Upgrade to 2019.1.8, 2019.2.4 or 2019.3.1. For more information on current releases, see Upgrade Tableau Desktop and Desktop Upgrade.

Option 2

Work with your IT team to run Tableau Desktop with a parameter:

Restart your PC to make sure all Tableau Desktop instances are closed. 

Right-click on the shortcut icon of Tableau Desktop and navigate to Properties.

Under the Shortcut tab, add -DThreadTimeApi=GetThreadTimes at the end of the Target field. e.g.:
   "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 2019.3\bin\tableau.exe" -DThreadTimeApi=GetThreadTimes

Press OK to close the Properties screen.

Double-click the shortcut icon to start Tableau Desktop.

Cause

This behaviour is related to Issue ID 954245 which is currently under investigation. Tableau Desktop (or Tableau Reader) stops working on a computer equipped with AMD Ryzen CPU.