Error: The user profile service fail the sign-in, User profile cannot be loaded (Win10 home)

My wife just called me and told me that her laptop suddenly started displaying this error message and she is unable to login to the computer. She stated that this occurs all the time, and that the only option she has is to press OK, and she only has one account on the computer, and no access to the desktop. Is there anyway, short of reinstalling the OS to regain control?

If you can get it to boot into Safe Mode, yes you can fix it. This fix requires using regedit

HKLM > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > ProfileList

Click each "S-1-5" folder and double-click the "ProfileImagePath" entry to find out which user account it relates to

Once you have determined where is the user profile(and it doesn’t have a .bak ending), double-click on the entry "State" and change the Value data to 0 and click "OK".

Then Double click on the entry "RefCount" to launch a popup Windows and change the value to 0. If this value isn’t available, you might have to create it manually. 

Click anywhere on the blank space on the right pane - Click "New" > "DWORD (32 bit)" > type RefCount > click on "Enter".

Source: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/fix-user-profile-service-failed-the-sign-in.html#:~:text=If you encounter “The User,user profile has been corrupted.

I've used that in previously.

If you cannot get into Safe Mode, you can create a new account via command prompt and then migrate the data over; or just reset this pc option.

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

If you can get it to boot into Safe Mode, yes you can fix it. This fix requires using regedit

Source: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/fix-user-profile-service-failed-the-sign-in.html#:~:text=If you encounter “The User,user profile has been corrupted.

I've used that in previously.

If you cannot get into Safe Mode, you can create a new account via command prompt and then migrate the data over; or just reset this pc option.

How can she get into safe mode without being able to access the desktop or command line?

Occasionally Safe Mode will allow the user to login when Normal mode wont; or you can boot into the recovery environment for command line by selecting shift+restart at the login screen. However, if you are asking these questions, I would just do the Reset if data is of no importance.

3 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Occasionally Safe Mode will allow the user to login when Normal mode wont; or you can boot into the recovery environment for command line by selecting shift+restart at the login screen. However, if you are asking these questions, I would just do the Reset if data is of no importance.

Thanks for the help, she was able to reset and is now in the process of restarting everything. She believes that the issue may have been a windows update, and she accidentally closed the lid while it was updating. 

Ya, usually you can boot to the recovery mode and open command prompt from there. Then open regedit and mount the reghive and edit the key in question.