In search of games that can run offline and run on a win 7 SP1 32bit 1 GB RAM system

A friend just dropped off a computer that was a flea market find and his whole 'plan' was to use it to play games such as Starcraft, Medieval II, etc. But Steam requires a minimum of 4 GB's RAM to run, and his 'monitor' is a TV that runs at a very funky resolutions, and even Starcraft does not seem to run, not sure what the issue is, but it loads, but does not display anything. So I am looking for a list of games that could be played in a system like this, he likes RPG's.

11 minutes ago, LostCat said:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

~2% of current players have 3GB of RAM or less, so I'm not sure how you decided Steam required 4GB.

According to a Google search, it said it needed 4GB, but regardless, the RAM installed is DDR2 800 mhz, and Steam takes every little bit of system memory, and I had to restart the computer to regain control.

Steam SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

OS. Windows 7 SP1/8.1/10 - 64bit.

CPU. Intel Core i5-3470 / AMD FX 4350.

RAM. 4 GB.

VGA. NVIDIA GTX 670 / AMD Radeon HD 7870.

DirectX. 11.0.

Hard Drive Space Required. 40 GB.

Resolution. 1280 x 720.

I don't know about the specific requirements for these games, but my laptop is pretty old and it can run the following:

• DEFCON
  • Frozen Synapse
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Sheltered
  • Sunless Sea
  • Uplink

With that said, I've just seen your post about the laptop having 800Mhz RAM. I think your best bet will be browser-based games.

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I don't know about the specific requirements for these games, but my laptop is pretty old and it can run the following:

• DEFCON
  • Frozen Synapse
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Sheltered
  • Sunless Sea
  • Uplink

With that said, I've just seen your post about the laptop having 800Mhz RAM. I think your best bet will be browser-based games.

Yeah I'm beginning to think the same thing. He paid $40 for it, and to upgrade the RAM would cost much more then that, so do i tell him he's SOL?

18 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

According to a Google search, it said it needed 4GB, but regardless, the RAM installed is DDR2 800 mhz, and Steam takes every little bit of system memory, and I had to restart the computer to regain control.

Steam SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

OS. Windows 7 SP1/8.1/10 - 64bit.

CPU. Intel Core i5-3470 / AMD FX 4350.

RAM. 4 GB.

VGA. NVIDIA GTX 670 / AMD Radeon HD 7870.

DirectX. 11.0.

Hard Drive Space Required. 40 GB.

Resolution. 1280 x 720.

Those would be for specific game in Steam rather than Steam itself.  Steam runs fine on integrated graphics chips and minimum spec Windows systems.

I have yet to find any actual posted requirements for Steam itself other than Windows 7 and up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions, I am not sure what our friend is wanting to do with the computer (it is still sitting here) but he wants to be able to play Startcraft II, which apparently does not work in Win 10

2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I am not sure what our friend is wanting to do with the computer (it is still sitting here) but he wants to be able to play Startcraft II, which apparently does not work in Win 10

Starcraft 2 works fine in Windows 10.  It's even the recommended OS.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/27575

It does require 2GB of RAM though.

13 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Starcraft 2 works fine in Windows 10.  It's even the recommended OS.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/27575

It does require 2GB of RAM though.

Thanks, I was not aware of that, but apparently he has some older games as well that he likes to play, so again IDK until I talk with him again what his idea is.

• 2 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for 90 days. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.