Edit saved Outlook .msg files

Question

Problem in a nutshell is that I want to edit a .msg file by attaching a new Excel file to it, however when I go to save, it saves it in Inbox, but does not save the changes in original .msg file.

The long vesrsion. I am preparing reports on behalf of someone, and it would be easy if I could just send a link to the .msg file, which once open could be sent straight away. Only changes from report to report are the Excel file that changes. And here is the problem, because once I open the .msg file and change the Excel file it saves the changes in my inbox and leaves the original message unchanged. Going through the sent items every time i need to prepare the mail is not that difficult, but it takes time and causes problems if the person sending the mail is different then usually.

Maybe there are some other file types I can use? need to be compatible with Outlook 2007.

I hope this is posted in the right place, and if not than feel free to move it as appropriate.

3 answers to this question

Anyone?

It is strange as I can do any text based changes and even edit the attached Excel file, and the changes will be saved in the .msg file. But as soon as I add a new Excel file it saves it under new inbox message. Maybe there is a way I can change the name of an attached file without re-adding it?