All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Who the actual F is AI to dictate me what I should be doing on my PC? Might as well buy a total AI PC and watch it predict and do things randomly by itself and waste electricity.
  3. Yup jump ship... Oh wait, we're you ever on the ship in the first place?....serously every excuse is go to Linux. Let me tell you from some one that uses a good portion of Windows with enough dabbing in Linux and even a small dab in BSD, Linux has gotten better, but still has its fair share of issues. Its best use case still remains in servers and special use cases. BSD is good for server/firewall router level cases. Now Windows will remain the defacto OS for a majority of people and true multitasking with gaming its biggest strength. The AI features were innebible as the industry as a whole is moving that way. The good thing is this is not a forced feature or upgrade. Microsoft has been refocus Ed on security and privacy across the board now, and just like prior versions of Windows, the feature is available if the hardware is there. It is also not internet reliant as the feature requires the NPU as everything is onboard and not going through the net to special servers. Stating your going to Linux goes on deaf ears. I changed myself to debian with no issues at all. And I did not use linux in the past as I was a windows fanboy until 10.
  4. Today
  5. Your own personal stalker, watching, listening, documenting, following....
  6. Gerowen

Death from Static Electricity...?

Yeah I told my wife that we needed a humidifier or something to help with it. I went to undock my Steam Deck the other day with my shoes on and the end of the USB extension cable I have connected to it zapped the daylights out of me.
  7. Tomoko

Interesting, glad it's working again. Now you might want to try doing something to cut down on the static; there's a homemade spray you can mix up for the carpet.
  8. Gerowen

Of all the random things; reseating the CMOS battery fixed it, lol.
  9. ...as you glance at your phone for new messages. Ya, locally running AI that doesn't share this information is 'scary' - however, giving Google or Apple every bit of information about yourself is just nifty and fine. Where was the public's 'upset' about privacy invasion 20,15,10 years ago. *I really don't get the cognitive dissonance. I have watched it for 20+ years, and it still hurts my brain.
  10. What’s worse, the nefarious activities you’re doing on your PC or the nefarious investigating MS is doing with your data?
  11. Maverick is accurate here. What I find interesting is that most users have already handed everything you note of concern to companies like Google. It seems like there is a disconnect in people realizing how much and what data Google has been collecting since the mid 00s. Chrome alone is giving Google far more data than expressed here. Android with Google Services goes even further. i.e. Chrome has been tracking mouse movements and coordination to detect potential disease - and selling that data to interested parties, like insurance companies. Potential signs of Parkinsons? Google knows before you do, and so does any company that wants to buy that information. (This came to light with Chrome, but has also been found in Google services like CAPTCHA.) I see these things as beyond invasive and a violation of a user's expected privacy. I don't find machine encrypted and machine localized AI any concern when coming from Microsoft. Not that Microsoft is 'better', but they don't have the incentive to sell user privacy information, and they are heavily monitored and criticized for simple things other companies have done for years, like "Recommending Apps" or "Upselling" OneDrive and Office to Windows users. (Things that Apple, Google, IBM, Sun/Oracle have done for decades - even Ubuntu has similar 'Ads' at login. Even the appearance of violating user privacy or behaving badly by Microsoft makes major news, and it probably should. They are the only major tech company that has fought for user right and privacy, often in direct legal opposition to companies like Google or ATT or Apple.
  12. Gerowen

I didn't reseat the battery itself no, but I will. Also it's not a newer board, so no on-board LEDs. It's an old MSI 970FXA board with an FX 8370 CPU in it. So if it is dead, it's not the end of the world. The RX 480 GPU has been carrying it for quite some time and honestly, my Steam Deck is nipping at its heals in a lot of the games I play. It's a decent 1080p rig most of the time, but the CPU has become a bottleneck in a few games in particular. I had to play Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade on my Steam Deck because of an issue with the number of audio channels that game uses and some kind of limitation caused by that old CPU that would cause audio stuttering even though the framerate was locked at 60. Besides gaming occasionally, the biggest thing I used it for was ripping DVDs and Blurays, but honestly it's getting long in the tooth for that. Moving to Bluray rips instead of DVD and switching from x264 to x265 means that my Handbrake transcodes can take a WHILE to finish.
  13. Mindovermaster

Does your motherboard have onboard LEDs? Most new boards do. Look on your manual what they represent. If it has trouble loading up on one of those LEDs, like you described, THAT might be the issue. Also, did you reset your BIOS battery?
  14. Yeah, I assumed that. They did word it poorly though. You COULD use the web browser on an older Xbox to sign up for an Apple TV subscription. With the way they worded it, that SHOULD qualify. Yeah, I know, I'm taking what they said way too literally, but there's going to be someone out there that tries it and gets upset when it doesn't work. Yeah, it was ambiguous.
  15. Gerowen

Troubleshooting update: - Disconnected all external peripherals except the power cord - Have tried both memory sticks in each individual memory slot, one at a time - Have tried a different power supply and as a result, have also re-seated both the 24 pin, PCIe and CPU power connectors - Have re-seated the graphics card - Have disconnected the front panel headers and tried manually shorting the power button pins with a screwdriver - Have disconnected power and data cables for all storage devices It still powers on just for a split second; long enough to cause fan spin but immediately shuts right back off. I almost think the fan spin though is just the capacitors draining because if I try to power it on a second time immediately after, I get nothing. The only time I get fan spin and a light is if I turn off power to the power supply and drain the capacitors by holding the power button down for a few moments, then flip the power supply back on and hit the power button again. It's almost like it just drains the capacitors into a power on attempt but once they're drained they don't get recharged.
  16. I am sorry, you will no longer be able to "upgrade" Windows without a Microsoft approved NPU - Microsoft, the company who cares about climate change by not adding more tech to landfills* *May or may not be a future Microsoft statement. and yet ALL climate activists buy into it and turn a blind eye to the landfill for hardware as well as the base manufacturing of hardware like batteries or even the mining for the materials needed for said hardware/battery.
  17. Thats cool, I know some android roms already do this like Xiaomi stock rom for example.
  18. It's not in my region yet. I requested/suggested this feature to google multiple times. Can't wait for it.
  19. Yup jump ship... Oh wait, we're you ever on the ship in the first place?....serously every excuse is go to Linux. Let me tell you from some one that uses a good portion of Windows with enough dabbing in Linux and even a small dab in BSD, Linux has gotten better, but still has its fair share of issues. Its best use case still remains in servers and special use cases. BSD is good for server/firewall router level cases. Now Windows will remain the defacto OS for a majority of people and true multitasking with gaming its biggest strength. The AI features were innebible as the industry as a whole is moving that way. The good thing is this is not a forced feature or upgrade. Microsoft has been refocus Ed on security and privacy across the board now, and just like prior versions of Windows, the feature is available if the hardware is there. It is also not internet reliant as the feature requires the NPU as everything is onboard and not going through the net to special servers. Stating your going to Linux goes on deaf ears.
  20. You overthinking. They are requiring new hardware with AI neutral processing units to keep information secure and private by having the onboard NPU do the work. No internet required for the feature. You also get to choose what apps work with it. You read too far into it.
  21. Tomoko

I thought this post was going to be about being killed by a static shock. 😄 When a computer is plugged in the case and all exposed metallic parts would be grounded so I wouldn't have thought that just touching the case would ruin anything. It sounds just like what happened in this thread though, which turned out to be a bad power supply. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/static-shock-on-the-case-death-of-the-system.271887/
  22. PC players get everything the consoles have, this is a patch with fixes, not a remake. The consoles get a native version for the new hardware but this is something PC always had and could not newly gain. For actual improvements they would try to sell that to you, for example the Anniversary version of TESV. Considering how many existing bugs that weren't fixed, the version bump probably made the game worse for 70% of people due to mod compatibility issues.
  23. I couldn’t have been any clearer. Your original argument: ”You can get a much better laptop for the same price” You won’t be upgrading either of those to even the same amount of ram much less more at the prices listed. As I said you can upgrade the ram to 64gb or more on both laptops. I had both and bought a set of 2x32gb for $100 on FB marketplace, I put 32gb in each and they work with 8gb included in the origional sku for 40gb total each. still came out cheaper than this mini pc
  24. will it be able to remember what the taskbar icon was for before Virtual Desktops blanked it because of a year old bug?
  1. Load more activity