All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. "To mitigate potential privacy concerns and make things work faster, Microsoft wants to make all that processing happen on-device." The problem becomes how easily stolen and exploitable the data store the AI uses will be.
  3. Sure sounds like a good reason NOT to buy a system with a NPU. I'll be keeping my AMD 5950 based system for the foreseeable future.
  4. On device… yeah, until a “bug” sends all data to Microsoft. No thank you. I’m perfectly capable of finding my stuff on my own computer without this AI stuff built into it.
  5. ah the annual amazon devices are on sale and other things prices are meh except for some stuff day
  6. Eh, I've been using Open Shell for years so I never see ads/recommendations on my Start Menu. You can supposedly disable this in the settings.
  7. Jose_49

Replacing Windows 10 Gaming Laptop?

What about the Framework laptop? https://frame.work/
  8. Maybe I'm rare but I feel like 90% of the time something has "recommendations" for me its wrong and the 10% of the time its right its faster for me to do it myself the way I want then rely on the automated guess.
  9. AI Explorer should run in the background and keep track of everything you do Um, how about no? They can keep this garbage, sounds like a privacy nightmare.
  10. something seems a bit creepy about remembering everything you do, this is going to get misused fast if that is how it works
  11. More details about AI Explorer in Windows 11 emerge ahead of public announcement by Taras Buria On May 20, 2024, Microsoft will announce the Surface Pro 10 and the Surface Laptop 6 with ARM chips. In addition, the company is expected to unveil next-generation AI capabilities for its operating system, and the rumored AI Explorer should steal the show. Now, a new report revealed more details about the feature ahead of its official announcement. Right off the bat, the new AI Explorer reportedly will not work on "traditional" PCs with Intel and AMD chips. It will require a next-generation chip with a Neural Processing Unit, such as a Snapdragon X Elite or Plus. This rumor was seemingly confirmed by a recent code discovery in Windows 11 version 24H2 builds. AI Explorer should run in the background and keep track of everything you do on your computer, regardless of what app is running. This behavior would let the feature create "memories" and get back to them at the moment's notice. For example, AI Explorer should remember your specific conversation in WhatsApp, summarize emails or web pages, etc. To mitigate potential privacy concerns and make things work faster, Microsoft wants to make all that processing happen on-device. That is why you will need next-gen hardware to run AI Explorer. Also worth noting is that Microsoft will let you specify what apps AI Explorer should not track. Interestingly, Microsoft is reportedly working on a new search UI that would sit at the top of your screen, allowing you to type anything using natural language. For example, you would be able to ask Windows to show you web pages about a certain topic you viewed days ago. Here is a mockup based on the latest report about AI Explorer: In addition, AI Explorer can analyze what is happening on the screen right now and provide contextual suggestions, such as removing a picture background, comparing two documents, helping you draft emails, and more. While additional optimization from third-paryt developers will certainly help, plenty of features should work "as is." Sources describe the new AI Explorer as "a truly useful AI experience," and soon, we will be able to judge ourselves. Source: Windows Central
  12. Windows 11 Dev Channel gets a servicing build update by John Callaham Microsoft just released a new Windows 11 build for members of the Insider Program in the Beta Channel today. The company also released a new build for members of the Dev Channel, but they shouldn't get too excited. In this updated blog post, Microsoft says: We are starting to roll out Cumulative Update Build 26100.268 (KB5036908) to Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel. This update is designed to test our servicing pipeline and is the same as the April 2024 security update released earlier this month for Windows 11, version 23H2. In other words, there are no new features, improvements, or bug fixes in the build. While Microsoft has not confirmed it, it's looking like it is skipping a week to update the members of the Canary Channel in the Insider Program. Microsoft released a Canary Channel update last week that brought back the build watermark on the desktop. It also included some improvements to the Widgets button on the taskbar. Developers also got the ability to "send notifications to the taskbar button with their custom dashboards for the Widgets board." In addition to today's Beta Channel update and the Dev Channel servicing update, Microsoft released new non-security preview updates for both Windows 10 and Windows 11. The big and controversial new feature in the Windows 11 update is the "Recommended" part of the Start menu, which will begin to show apps that Microsoft believes users may want to check out. Many users are not liking this new feature, which are basically ads inside the Start menu for apps. We have already shown how these "ads" can be turned off in the Start menu. The Windows 10 non-security preview update includes new Microsoft Account notifications, Widgets lock screen improvements, and more. It also is the first Windows 10 update that will use technology from Windows 11 to reduce its overall download size.
  13. Today
  14. I pay $213/yr for my Mint Mobile and Love it. Long as this doesn't change the pricing much if at all its fine my me. Long as T-Mobile doesn't get hacked again.
  15. Maybe they should appoint Chief Security Officer... to lead the measures.
  16. Why does everyone make a stock buyback sound evil? The whole point of issuing shares is to get money to grow, when you have money you should be allowed to buy the company back from the investors.
  17. Google Workspace admins can migrate Slack messages to Google Chat using a new tool by Aditya Tiwari Announcing a couple of updates for Google Workspace, Google said that workspace admins and developers can now use a new migration tool from CloudFuze to transfer data from Slack to Google Chat. It is available to all Google Workspace users, but "a separate CloudFuze licensing is required to enable data migrations." In a blog post, the search giant explained that the integration allows admins to transfer data such as direct messages, channels, channel members, and features associated with messages to Google Chat. The company added that "CloudFuze also imports data while maintaining historical timestamps to ensure users can start using Chat spaces without losing any context." Google previously announced that developers and admins can import data from other messaging apps to Google Chat with the help of the Google Chat API. They can do so by creating a Chat app and "import mode" chat space. The company explained that the import mode has advantages over copying source data into regular spaces. For instance, it prevents end users from accessing a space while data import is in progress. Import mode spaces are hidden from end-users to avoid confusion "as a result of viewing an in-progress data import." Apart from that, Workspace admins can also get notified about application failures related to Google Meet hardware devices. Last month, Google started offering information in the Admin Console about when the Google Meet app fails to load for a device. The company announced that admins, who usually manage a fleet of Google Meet hardware devices, can opt-in to get notifications through emails or text messages. There is no action required from the end users, it added. Google said that the functionality is available to all Google Workspace customers with Google Meet hardware devices. It's scheduled for an extended rollout, which may take about six weeks to finish.
  18. Backwards Compatibility? Some forms of that existed in the 90's!!! The two largest obstacles were cartridge form factor and software encoding. Some early hacks were transforming older cartridges into the newer generation's form factor (think Nintendo), while others were software encoding (think Dreamcast). Then the disc-based era helped morph the landscape. The Xbox's successor, Xbox360, provided some forms of "BC" allowing a disc purchased to be supported on both that current-gen and its previous-gen hardware (Original Xbox). It was a competitive advantage compared to "planned obsolescence," a more-common derogatory term these days. The extension of the generational release cycles were the result of global macroeconomic circumstances ("great recession" from the 2008 market crash) rather than lack of innovational ideation (like the always-on features which were proposed during the 2010s, or the hands-free efforts of the Kinect). During this past era, competitors like Nintendo refocused their target niche away from FPS, and PC Gaming kept growing its place (like with Minecraft), and mobile gaming took additional form factors (from more-powerful smartphones to portable gaming tech). ALL to say, the obstacle of cartridge form factors has been cleared, whilst the software layers (think of emulation layers, connectivity, and encodings) have become negligible limitations. They were markers within specific generations, but they were never the only definition of a (console) generation. (In the early PC gaming days, COLOR was a major function of the day, and then mouse-driven navigation became a huge selling point... thinking of Myst, DOOM, and others.) The above speaks nothing of the "marketing term" you speak of. It's all technological progress baked into the standardized gaming console defining that generation.
  19. KB5036893 made my i9, 64 GB laptop perform line a core i3 with 4GB Of RAM Trying to update what is suppossed to be a fix ends with an error Nvidia GPU goes to 50% all the time and switching to the Integrated GPU has the same spikes Made my 6000 USD laptop completely useless, don't install it yet https://www.neowin.net/news/wi...8007000d-0x800705b9-errors/
  20. I bought a 5500 Euro laptop with GB of Ram the latest i9 processor and KB5036893 has made it perform worse than the cheapest Core i3 with 4 GB of RAM in the market Totally unacceptable
  21. Tricky Trials is the official name for the upcoming Minecraft 1.21 free update by John Callaham In October 2023, developer Mojang first announced plans for a new free update for its hit sandbox game Minecraft. It was labeled by version number 1.21, and today, Mojang announced that its final and official name will be Tricky Trials. In a blog post and an accompanying YouTube video, Mojang says the name comes from one of the update's features, the new trial chambers. These will be procedurally generated underground chambers where players will face "tricky" challenges. There will also be a new mob creature, the tornado-like Breeze. Along with the trial chambers and the new Breeze mob, the Tricky Trials update's biggest feature is the Crafter, which will add automatic crafting to Minecraft. Another new feature is the Copper Bulb, which can create light but can also dim over time due to oxidation. Another new mob, the skeleton-like creature known as the bogged, will also be a part of the update. Mojang has not announced when the Tricky Trials update will become available for Minecraft gamers, but these updates are usually released sometime in the middle part of the year. Mojang has already officially released another free update, called Armored Paws, earlier this week. The 1.20.5 update adds the new passive mob, the armadillo, to the game. There are also eight wolf variants included in that update, along with the new Wolf Armor. Mojang also made some changes and improvements to its Realms Plus server hosting subscription service this week. They include the addition of Realm Stories, a social networking feature where players can share Minecraft screenshots with each other, chat about their in-game adventures, and more. Realms Plus also now has drops of Character Creator in-game items every month. Finally, you can sign into a Realms Plus Minecraft server and get "eight extra chunks" of render distance in your games.
  22. Mindovermaster

Intel NUC Skull Canyon + USB-C Display

I never did this, as I never had a thunderbolt port (AMD) But it does sound logical to just use an adapter. Might wanna wait for someone else, but thats my 2 cents, and what I know of it.
  23. Google Pixel 8a ads leaked, promises seven years of security updates, IP67 rating and more by Sagar Naresh After multiple rounds of leaks revealing the price and the design of the upcoming Google Pixel 8a, now a fresh set of ads of the alleged Google Pixel 8a have surfaced online showcasing various features of the device. More importantly, they confirm seven years of updates for the Pixel 8a, the same as that of the Pixel 8 and 8 Pro. While the Pixel 8a is speculated to launch at the upcoming Google I/O event on May 14, it seems like we won't have to wait for the actual launch event to know about the features Pixel 8a will come with. Android Headlines has leaked a set of Pixel 8a advertisements that showcase some notable secrets of the Pixel 8a. According to the leaked ads, the Pixel 8a will pack an 'AI-mazing' camera on the phone, which will bundle features such as Best Take, Audio Magic Eraser, and Night Sight. Both Best Take and Night Sight aren't new features for the Pixel 8a; however. The Audio Magic Eraser is a feature that was added last fall to the Pixel 8 series and is a great addition to the mid-range Google phone. There are other features that the ads showcase, such as screening calls with Call Assist, getting a summary of emails on the spot, and Circle to Search. Also, the ads have revealed the specifications of the device, and as expected, the Google Pixel 8a is powered by the Tensor G3 chipset, the same processor that powers the Pixel 8 and the Pixel 8 Pro. Google has also mentioned fast charging but hasn't mentioned how many watts of fast charging is supported. Interestingly, the ads mention support for Google One VPN, which is something that is going away in June. It is possible that these ads were made before the decision to kill Google One was taken, or it's just that Google One will be promoted till its last breath. Furthermore, the leaked ads also mention that the Pixel 8a is IP67 dust and water-resistant. One thing that Google has highlighted is that the Pixel 8a will get seven years of 'security updates', instead of just updates. So, the update policy may not be the same as the Pixel 8 and 8 Pro, as we are expecting.
  24. Good for you, but I've worked professionally in the business for over 26 years and I can assure you "the year of Linux Desktop" is not anywhere close to being here more than it was yesterday. The average non-technical person can barely use their microwave, let alone ANY Linux distro. Thanks for the Friday funny!
  25. I miss 3Dfx so much.... loved SLI Voodoo 2s! I knew back then that accelerated graphics were going to be a big big thing! I will never forget patching my install of Qauke for VIS effects in glQuake! Long live Glide!!!
  1. Load more activity