All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Ubuntu 24.10 Oracular Oriole beta due in September, final release on October 10 by Paul Hill Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, has shared its timetable for Ubuntu 24.10 Oracular Oriole with the community. The schedule states that a beta release will be made available on September 19 before a release candidate on October 3 and the final release on October 10. What’s important to keep in mind with Ubuntu 24.10 is that it’ll only receive updates for nine months before being discontinued. If you’re looking for a more peaceful experience then choosing Ubuntu 24.04 LTS would be a better option as you won’t need to do any upgrades until 2029. The key dates according to the schedule are as follows: August 15 - Feature Freeze September 5 - User Interface Freeze September 19 - Beta September 26 - Kernel Freeze October 3 - Final Freeze, Release Candidate October 10 - Final Release If you do have time on your hands and like messing about with operating systems on a test machine, you’ll be able to download daily builds of Ubuntu 24.10 but do note that they can be extremely unstable. The daily release on September 6, for example, should have the desktop exactly as it will look when the final release comes out. One of the main benefits of Ubuntu 24.10 will be that it’ll have newer software packaged with it. This is ideal if you have brand new hardware that’s not supported in Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. It’s not known what kernel will ship with it but Phoronix predicted it’ll include Linux 6.11, GNOME 47, and the GCC 14.1 compiler but we’ll need closer to launch for this to be confirmed. If you’re not too familiar with Ubuntu, it’s an alternative operating system to Windows and macOS that’s available for free and supports lots of hardware, even older hardware. It’s the most popular version of Linux and was created in 2004 in a bid to make Linux more accessible to the average user. Source: Ubuntu Discourse
  3. They realised how disastrous this would be for future sales of this and other games, not to mention all the people demanding refunds because they can no longer play it. Not Sony being nice and responding to "feedback" as they claim, just them trying to rescue future sales and most importantly (to them), profits. The big question is whether it's too late, has the damage already been done?
  4. Today
  5. This is quite some amazing news. We were able to show a very big publisher that our voices matter. This changes everything.
  6. It could have been valve, they didn't want to deal with future refunds from those markets I'm sure. This might have done a good bit of damage though. We'll see what happens.
  7. Holy molly. Now this is a surprise! I wonder if it was Valve who pulled the game from the regions, and Sony got also mad at them, and Valve told them to go eat some dirt. Hopefully this sets a precedent, at least with Sony
  8. Ya, if they had blocked sales in the countries from the start, then maybe they could have sold this, but selling it in regions that will now be blocked was just a PR landmine. Cut your loses and hope you didn't do any lasting damage to the game that they are making BANK on cause they never thought it would be this popular.. Honestly I'm just surprised Sony backed down this fast..
  9. New rumor suggests that Apple could replace the Plus model with the ‘iPhone 17 Slim' by Sagar Naresh Rumors about the upcoming iPhone 16 have been continuously popping up online, revealing the design, camera specs, MagSafe charging ring changes, among other things, about the lineup. Cut to now, a fresh rumor has appeared online suggesting something interesting about the 2025 iPhone 17 series. According to analyst Jeff Pu of Haitong International Securities (via 9To5Google), Apple could let go of the iPhone 17 Plus model and could introduce a new iPhone 17 Slim variant, suggesting that Cupertino has significant plans for its next-gen iPhones. Analyst Jeff claimed that the 2026 iPhone 17 Slim could come with a 6.6-inch display and, more importantly, could sport a different design. The devices are alleged to come with front-facing camera improvements and a smaller Dynamic Island (a punch-hole, maybe?). As per the rumor, the iPhone 17 lineup would then consist of an iPhone 17, an iPhone 17 Slim, an iPhone 17 Pro, and an iPhone 17 Pro Max. Allegedly, the iPhone 17, iPhone 17 Slim, and iPhone 17 Pro would use an aluminum frame, while the iPhone 17 Pro Max would be manufactured using the more durable titanium frame. Analyst Jeff also claims that the iPhone 17 and iPhone 17 Slim could see a RAM boost. Rumors suggest that the iPhone 17 and iPhone 17 Slim could come with 8GB of RAM, while the Pro models could come with 12GB of RAM. The iPhone 17 Pro and iPhone 17 Pro Max could come with an advanced A19 Pro chipset, while the iPhone 17 and iPhone 17 Slim could be powered by an A18 or A19 processor. Various reports suggest that the iPhone Plus models aren't a hit among the masses and are considered a commercial failure. This is why Apple might be reworking its strategy and could introduce a new iPhone 17 Slim phone and replace the Plus model.
  10. Looks like the pushback and bad press were more than what Sony expected. This was always a dumb move, you can't just turn around and force the need for a account months later while locking out gamers from 177 countries in the process.
  11. Sony blinks and won't make Helldivers 2 PC Steam players link to a PSN account after all by John Callaham It has been a very rough last few days for members of the Helldivers 2 PC gaming community on Steam. The hit third-person sci-fi shooter from developer Arrowhead Game Studios and publisher Sony was just hours away from forcing new players to link to a PlayStation Network account to their Steam account so they could play the game starting today. Indeed, the day before that deadline, Helldivers 2 was removed from sale on Steam in 177 countries where those players were barred from establishing a PSN account. Thankfully, cooler and smarter heads have prevailed in this incident. In a post on the official PlayStation X (formerly Twitter) account, Sony has backed down and now says its plans to make Helldivers 2 Steam players link to a PSN account to play the game "will not be moving forward." Helldivers fans -- we’ve heard your feedback on the Helldivers 2 account linking update. The May 6 update, which would have required Steam and PlayStation Network account linking for new players and for current players beginning May 30, will not be moving forward. We’re still… — PlayStation (@PlayStation) May 6, 2024 The message added: We’re still learning what is best for PC players and your feedback has been invaluable. Thanks again for your continued support of Helldivers 2 and we’ll keep you updated on future plans. Sony's post does sound like they won't be revisiting this particular issue down the road so we think this case can be considered closed. Helldivers 2 PC players started review-bombing the game on its Steam page soon after Sony announced its PSN linking plans. It remains to be seen if Sony's turnaround on this issue will bring back all those players who made those review comments. As of this writing, the game's developer Arrowhead, and its vocal and supportive CEO Johan Pilestedt have yet to comment on Sony's PSN account reversal.
  12. Is Apple foldable in the works? A new folding iPhone patent surfaces online by Sagar Naresh In the Android world, multiple smartphone brands are manufacturing folding phones. Samsung, Motorola, and OPPO are some of the big names in this category. When we talk about Apple, there has been a wave of rumors about a folding iPhone, but nothing concrete has surfaced online. Now, the latest patent leak shows Apple's folding iPhone with an innovative hinge mechanism. Apple's patent filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) last October has surfaced online (via Patently Apple), showing a novel hinge design for the folding iPhone. The folding iPhone design bears a resemblance to the flip-style clamshell foldable similar to the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip series. However, the novel hinge mechanism that Apple is rumored to be considering for its folding iPhone has a greater range of motion. According to the leaked patent images, the hinge potentially allows the device to fold both ways, i.e., inwards and outwards. This will be a one-of-a-kind device on the market if it ever debuts. Notably, there have been rumors that a folding iPhone could launch in 2026. According to the leaked patent images, the folding mechanism applies to a broad set of devices including phones, tablets, laptops, and other portable devices. But the patent allegedly hints that if Apple were to bring a foldable iPhone, then they could consider a clamshell design over a folding boo-like style for their first folding iPhone. The patent image also shows that the hinge would come with synchronization gear plates with interlocked teeth, allowing for "synchronized rotational movement between the left and right halves of the hinge." Do note that a patent doesn't confirm or guarantee a product release. Apple, like other manufacturers, files multiple patents each year. But only a fraction of those patents get converted into a real-life product. So, a folding iPhone might be launched in the future, or it will stay as a patent for some more time. Notably, there have been rumors that a folding iPhone could launch in 2026. Let us know your thoughts on a folding iPhone, and would you consider a folding iPhone if it ever gets launched?
  13. You certainly do NOT understand this situation AT ALL. First the game launched with a text that said "PSN account linking is optional". Second, the game was available globally (all countries). Third, months after launch they issued a patch that effectively enforced PSN account linking. Four, out of all the countries, PSN is only available in 65 countries, so more than 170 countries do not have support. Five, you can cannot create a PSN account outside of a supported country and if you do you're risking violating Sony TOS and your account could get banned. Six, people that already bought the game and are outside the country supported by PSN, woke up a new day finding that they cannot longer access the game and they cannot create a PSN account, hence they cannot longer play the game and cannot refund it. Seven, soon after, Steam started issuing refunds for all the countries outside PSN coverage, while at the same time, their community manager (on Arrowhead) invited players to leave negative reviews if they were angry (a trans-LGBT community manager with trust issues mind you). Eight, after the game implemented PSN enforcement account, the text on the game description "was changed" to "PSN account required". So, bad attitud, neglect to say this information prior, Steam, publisher and developer agreed to sell the game worldwide, fully knowing it will create a nightmare afterwards, then removing the game from Steam, issuing refunds left and right... This whole fiasco could be prevented if everything did their jobs properly, which obviously they didn't and the hate is totally called for. crazy that you're blaming Valve/Steam on this... Valve cannot force anyone to sell their game on their platform.
  14. I can't remember the last time someone has gone so nuclear with its base.
  15. Isn’t what you described precisely why people are learning? Some of us can pick up new languages easily. Some learn better with actual teachers. It’s all about how people learn best. Relying on an LLM instead of using it to enhance a workflow makes for a rather lopsided and limited developer.
  16. Here is the thing. They have adjusted the size of the WinRE partition in the past. It used to be the first partition until the size of the partition had to be adjusted, so they shrunk the system partition and created a new WinRE partition automatically. I don't know when that happened, but it was in the last three years. One reason they might not be doing it automatically is a conflict with system protection (restore points); when I attempted to follow these instructions on my primary computer, I got an "invalid memory location" error. I disabled and renamed system protection, and without even a reboot, I could run all the commands successfully. The exact error is Invalid access to memory location it says to look in the event logs, and there was an event for the failure there, which led me to research an error code 0x800703e6
  17. I don't know if they were even teaching them syntax. I have always felt that once I understood the syntax of a programming language, I could use that knowledge to implement anything I wanted in any programming language. However, I recall a situation when writing one of my last projects as a student. Everyone in my group (the professor assigned) was a complete idiot. I designed the application, developed the database schema, and essentially wrote 90% of the application. The day before the assignment was due, I asked one of them to write a very simple print routine; I had to walk them through how to do that. I ended up having to do it myself. Keep in mind we had the same classes and professors. This project was for the final class that only students who would be graduating that semester were allowed to take. Before this project, I had not spent more than 5 minutes with the programming language. ChatGPT writes better code than these students I am talking about, and ChatGPT generates barely usable trash code; it's only helpful in saving keystrokes when you want to write a complicated class with many properties.
  18. Bad news, syntax and (arguably) the other are still useful and are on the back burner. What happens in when the LLM has incorrect syntax? Relying solely on AI is a mistake at this stage.
  19. What a sad and sorry time for Windows when there are applications to disable advertising.
  20. Boogiepop

It's official: Jack Dorsey quits Bluesky's board

Literally DOA app 🤣
  21. Good news, universities are going to finally start teaching more useful stuff than syntax and traditional algorithms.
  22. This is 100% wrong; please no one listen to this. I guess if your security mindset dates back to 2003, this advice would be fine...but then we had Blaster, and everyone learned that edge protection is only one of many important layers of security. Also, please remember that network-based attacks are only one type of attack, but they are the only type of attack that a firewall will block.
  23. rocks1985

It's official: Jack Dorsey quits Bluesky's board

ok. Mastodon is so much better than bluesky. You get 60% more space to write by default (500 characters vs 300) and some instances have 1000 characters or more. The edit button is built into the platform for free.
  24. Wlll Make sure i don't hopefully, i don't really have many spots to put a device like a Nas--Under TV stand where Gateway modem is, pretty much full, (I know i'd get better signal if Gateway modem was up higher, but always been in that spot lol) The Comcast XG1V4 4k DVR box, and DVD Player lol
  25. Educators are now teaching high-level coding skills over syntax due to generative AI by Paul Hill According to IEEE, university professors are changing the way they teach students how to code. The emphasis is reportedly being moved away from syntax and more to higher-level skills such as testing and debugging code so that AI-generated code can be validated as being correct. Aside from testing and debugging code, lecturers are also focusing more on problem decomposition where you break a big problem into smaller problems which an LLM may be able to solve more easily. Discussing this, Leo Porter, an associate teaching professor of computer science at the University of California, San Diego, said: “This is a skill to know early on because you need to break a large problem into smaller pieces that an LLM can solve. It’s hard to find where in the curriculum that’s taught—maybe in an algorithms or software engineering class, but those are advanced classes. Now, it becomes a priority in introductory classes.” While AI can certainly help with coding, professors are still warning students to be cautious about its use as it can hallucinate and also infringe on copyrights. They’re also warning that AI should only be used as a copilot, not an autopilot. As generative AI Is quite new, many professors are only just adapting their courses. The forms these courses are currently taking are not likely to be the final result as they need to see how well they work in practice. Another issue that teachers will have to think about is how well the shift away from syntax actually helps people when they get into work. Many companies restrict the use of generative AI because they’re working on secret code that they don’t want leaking out via AI. If students don’t learn as much syntax, they could find themselves struggling out in the real world. Nevertheless, generative AI is having some beneficial impacts. One educator who spoke to IEEE said they used to ask students to write code and then grade them based on whether they passed some pre-written tests. The educator has now realised that this mode of teaching is too restrictive and has broadened their teaching method, which is definitely a positive. Source: IEEE Spectrum | Image via Depositphotos.com
  26. You certainly do NOT understand this situation AT ALL. First the game launched with a text that said "PSN account linking is optional". Second, the game was available globally (all countries). Third, months after launch they issued a patch that effectively enforced PSN account linking. Four, out of all the countries, PSN is only available in 65 countries, so more than 170 countries do not have support. Five, you can cannot create a PSN account outside of a supported country and if you do you're risking violating Sony TOS and your account could get banned. Six, people that already bought the game and are outside the country supported by PSN, woke up a new day finding that they cannot longer access the game and they cannot create a PSN account, hence they cannot longer play the game and cannot refund it. Seven, soon after, Steam started issuing refunds for all the countries outside PSN coverage, while at the same time, their community manager (on Arrowhead) invited players to leave negative reviews if they were angry (a trans-LGBT community manager with trust issues mind you). Eight, after the game implemented PSN enforcement account, the text on the game description "was changed" to "PSN account required". So, bad attitud, neglect to say this information prior, Steam, publisher and developer agreed to sell the game worldwide, fully knowing it will create a nightmare afterwards, then removing the game from Steam, issuing refunds left and right... This whole fiasco could be prevented if everything did their jobs properly, which obviously they didn't and the hate is totally called for. Account linking was NOT optional. Within 30 minutes of the game launching the servers were overloaded trying to link accounts to PSN so they disabled it to handle the load.
  27. That’s why I don’t have any recovery partition. My Recovery folder lies on the root of C: drive. I have been using it this way since 3 years. But any major OS upgrade like 10 -> 11 upgrade can trigger creation of Recovery partition which I promptly delete.
  1. Load more activity