Distribution ISO's to DVD

Does anyone know if it is possible to do the following:

Download a distributions (fedora, for example) ISO's and instead of burning them to seperate CD's, extract the ISO's on hard disk first and create an installable, bootable layout to burn to a DVD for use as the installation media?

er, you know, If you're installing distros like, say, slackware, you dont even NEED to burn the discs... you can just leave the iso on your HDD and find it later.

As for DVDs, some distros already come with really big ISOs for them, bt I have doubts as to whether you can take a bunch of little ISOs and plop them together on one disk, without changing some of the code related to the installation.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do the following:

Download a distributions (fedora, for example) ISO's and instead of burning them to seperate CD's, extract the ISO's on hard disk first and create an installable, bootable layout to burn to a DVD for use as the installation media?

I agree with McDuck. Use the DVD version. ;)

But... If you had some .isos from a different (or earlier) distro that did not have a DVD version, you should be able to burn the .isos to the DVD and install them from there. But, you have to actually burn the .isos as files, not images. That is, you have to have:

Mandrake92-cd1-inst.i586.iso

Mandrake92-cd2-inst.i586.iso

Mandrake92-cd3-inst.i586.iso

as files on your DVD.

During the install, you specify the location of the .isos (e.g. /dev/hdc1/)

I know this works for RedHat/Fedora and for Mandrake. Not sure if the others can do this.

for download?

Edit:

Ah right, I've just found the fedora DVD ISO on their site. I didn't know one was available.

Thanks for your help everyone.

And good suggestion markjensen. I'll do that with ISO I have already downloaded.

Edited by Dudydoo