Arctic Silver 5

IMG_1264_small.JPG

Overclocking, the killer to some chips when done wrong, or becomes fatal to the chip from overheating. Cooling your CPU is the number one importance to everyone's need when establishing such a risky task, and most users will do anything and everything to lower their temperatures.

Arctic Silver 5 has become the number one paste out of overclockers and computer enthusiast?s mouths when the question arises in which thermal paste to use for their heatsink and CPU.

So to get this party started, I took some pictures of the process I went through into applying the paste.Installationb>The Victim:b>

IMG_1251_small.JPG

When removing the heatsink, you'll be left with the paste you previously used. In most cases, it'll be completely gone, or dried up and hardened.

Removal of the old paste, I used Bestcare 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, and some Q-Tips. Applying a little bit of pressure with a q-tip, the paste was slowly being removed, and soon enough, it was all gone.Cleaned Core:b>

IMG_1258_small.JPG

When applying the Artic Silver5, you must remember to not use the entire tube, but only a small, even, and thin amount over the core of the chip. It's a shame I did not think of grabbing a picture after the thermal paste was applied to the core.Applying:b>

IMG_1266_small.JPGTemperatureb>

I have created a couple of graphs in order to show the differences of temperatures between the regular Zalman thermal paste that was previously applied, and the Arctic Silver 5.

Load times are created by playing Unreal Tournament 2004, on Deathmatch, map DM-Deck17, with 16 bots. This simulates an actual game play world. I felt that running the chip at 100% CPU Load would of simulated a temperature that'd never be reached during regular use. However, I may be wrong.When Stock:b>

stock.gifWhen Overclocked:b>

oc.gif

Both Idle temperatures stayed the same surprisingly, however it's made up from the Load temperatures.

Conclusionb>

The Zalman paste was beaten noticeably, and that's exactly what I wanted to see during this whole process. To go out and purchase a tube is worth it. No money being wasted here.

I hope some of you have gained some knowledge in this review, and will be a bit more comfortable when possibly choosing this thermal paste. Remember there are other thermal pastes out on the market. However, from word of mouth throughout the community, this appears to be "the one you want."

If you want to see more tests, more pictures, or you feel this is unbiased in any way, feel free to tell me so, and I'll attempt to correct and/or change any possible material.Purchasingb>

You can view the Arctic Silver website here: Arctic Silver Homepage

Newegg currently has the 3.5 gram tube for $7.49.

Edited by jhSellars

says AS5 takes up to 200 hrs to settle completely and provide the best temps... but my temp flucuates so much that i'll never know... it's all dependent on my room's temp... it sucks.

says AS5 takes up to 200 hrs to settle completely and provide the best temps... but my temp flucuates so much that i'll never know... it's all dependent on my room's temp... it sucks.

Really? Interesting. The temperatures outside and inside of room change so much, it'd be hard to tell as well if it made a difference.

But I do idle at 113F now, with 95F incase temperature.

I would go out and purchase this AS5, but i have AS3 sitting in my drawer - and want to wait til that runs out.

same with me, i guess i should do my northbridge and graphics to try and run the tube down lol

AS5 is great stuff.  :D its a little bit hard to spread but thats ok.  ;)

I noticed that. When I was spreading it I was like "Wtf stop sticking so much pos DFlkdsjklJ!MSCONFGIPING!!"

But anyways, yeah.

I noticed that. When I was spreading it I was like "Wtf stop sticking so much pos DFlkdsjklJ!MSCONFGIPING!!"

But anyways, yeah.

why did you put "msconfig" in that? :huh:

why did you put "msconfig" in that? :huh:

Got Rice b? Got Rice? got food, got soup, got spice?

Got brains like us? got skills like us? got cars, got clothes, got gurls like us?

Nice, mine is Artic Silver Ceramique.. I have heard its a bit much better than AS 5. My CPU is 2500+ oc'ed to 3200+ Aeroflow Vantec + AS Ceramique 34C idle.. Unreal 2k4 around 37C. That is pretty good, eh!

kurt...

Are you looking at that temperature during actual gameplay? Or as soon as you quit the game you glance at the temperature?

I've noticed the temp drop an entire 15 degree's when I quit out of the game... and that lag time in quiting out to see what temp you have can make a big difference.