Harddisk Search & Stats

Question

http://www.freebyte.com/harddisk_search_and_stats/

Finally discovered a program that I?ve been long awaiting for, i.e., searcinsideb> php, txt, html files and a range of other ASCII files.

This is a very small program that doesn?t even need to be installed, a single executable. We browse for a folder, enter the search string and press ?Start search? and it shows all the files having the string. I just tested this by typing in ?print_Lon()", a function I randomly picked from one of the files in WordPress folder and it showed 2 files having this. It also has an internal viewer so we can simply double click the result entries. But ctrl+F wasn?t working when in the internal viewer. So I went to Options and set ?Use Windows default?.

Very handy prog...came to know about this from SnapFiles - 20 latest freeware programs XML feed(Y)br />

(Y)

Edited by trigger_my_passion

10 answers to this question

hey. u guys simply HAVE to try effective file search. ALthough its shareware, believe my its really reallly worth paying for.

why i find this program to be unbelievably useful is that if im searching my hard drive with a particular keyword, like lets say "danish", then it will search my entire 40 gb drive in approx 40 seconds. NOW COMES THE COOL PART: if i dont close the application, ie leave it minimized or something, and then carry out another search using different keywords, it will reduce the search time for the entire 40 gb hard drive to about 25-30 seconds ie a 25-40% decrese in the searching time. And then if i carry out another search without closing the app, the search time will decrease AGAIN. On my pc, by the time im carryin out the 7th or 8th search, im usually down to abt 3-5 seconds for my ENTIRE 40 gb hard drive which is about 95% full.

Do try it out, you'll love it: http://www.sowsoft.com/search.htm

ps: did i mention tht its waaaaaaaaaaay better than the windows buit in find files utility :p

Edited by dtmunir

Mav Phoenix, As far as I know there's no search _inside_ files feature in windows.

dtmunir, thanks for mentioning EFS. Tried it and like it as well.

OK, never knew this exists in Windows. But unfortunately it doesn't work. When using the same search string and folder as I did for the above 2 progs (see the attached screenie), it says

Search is complete. There are no results to display.

post-12-1088951036.jpg

Anyway,it runs faster than the damn search in windows xp! :) And it is competely free! So I will use it instead of the default search in windows. Thanks!

The XP search does work, but is so slow that Microsoft set it up to only search through certain file types to save time. You can change that setup via either of two methods. The first adds individual file types and involves hacking the registry. The second is easier and turns on searching for all file types in one fell swoop. Instructions for the two methods are in the MS knowledge base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;309173

That said, I am now going to download the search program you guys have been discussing; I could dig a speed increase.