[Olympics] Iraq Upsets Portugal

No its an official match of their group!

Iraq is leading group (D) now and they need to win only one match to qualify to the next round..

The group also includes Portugal, Costa Rica, and Morocco..

http://www.athens2004.com/en/FootballOlympicTournament

VidER

...?

I could've sworn it was only pre-lims! Oh well, congrats to them! :)

Its called politics.

Are you implying that Portugal lost just for good politics?

Don't seem to quite understand what you're saying... but if that's what you're implying then I highly doubt it's accurate... that's just my opinion, though :)

I'm portuguese!

But, I didn't saw the match because I was in the theatre, watching a play.

I was told that the referee was a jackass with us, but, Portugal didn't deserved to win anyway...

The only plausible explanation is this: (=_=)

Maybe fatigue?

Our players made a full season in their clubs, plus, some of them played in the U-21 World Cup or/and in the Euro 2004!

So, they decided to take a vacation trip to Athens!

But, hey... we also lost our first match in Euro2004 and went into the Final!

To hope is always good!

Guys Iraq isn't a bad team..

They qualified to each tournament's finals this season in all the different afe groups..

Those younge Iraqi players play in good leagues accross the region and some of those younge players got noticed in the last Asian Cup and are being chased by big international clubs..

And these are the olympic games.. if Portugal tried to play with the results they will be heavily penalized..

Also don't forget that Portugal's National Team disapointed its fans in Euro2004.. and they would do their best to pay them back in Athens.

Finally follow these Iraqi players in the upcomming matches to know how good is Iraq: (Nashaat Akram, Emad Mohammad, Younis Mahomood)..

VidER

And these are the olympic games.. if Portugal tried to play with the results they will be heavily penalized..

Since when do we play with the results?

Also don't forget that Portugal's National Team disapointed its fans in Euro2004.. and they would do their best to pay them back in Athens.

*sigh*, that's bull$hit!

Our main goals were:

• Go over the 1/4's of finals like our Mister promissed
  • look good to the rest of the world

Which we did, because we went to the final (for the first time) and Uefa said this was the best Euro ever!

tiagosilva29,

So you agree that Portugal intentionally lost the match 2-4 to Iraq?

VidER

No way!

Football is not a political issue to us! :no:

// Altought football is a great excuse for our politicians to leave the parliament... "official representation" :rolleyes:

Those younge Iraqi players play in good leagues accross the region and some of those younge players got noticed in the last Asian Cup and are being chased by big international clubs..

There are no big international clubs. Only European ones... :p

No way!

Football is not a political issue to us! :no:

// Altought football is a great excuse for our politicians to leave the parliament... "official representation" :rolleyes:

This is what I am trying to explain :)

Read the whole thread.. I am on your side!

VidER

This isn't much of a surprise if you ask me. Portugal goes in and looks at Iraq and thinks they can't play because of what their country is going through. Iraq goes into the game, and gives them a whooping.

Not that much of a surprise considering these are sub 23 teams :rolleyes:

This isn't much of a surprise if you ask me. Portugal goes in and looks at Iraq and thinks they can't play because of what their country is going through. Iraq goes into the game, and gives them a whooping.

Not that much of a surprise considering these are sub 23 teams :rolleyes:

i agree with that.

Portugal has a good technical team and Iraq has a great physical team.

Iraq deserved the win.