Huge HalfLife 2 News

Ok, here is something not necessarily new (its been floating in rumours for a while) but my friend's mother works at Vivendi and they recently learnt of the final PLANNED timeline for Half Life 2. So here it is but remember this is only the plan which does not mean it will match exactly and may be changed altogether depending on Valve's progress (or lack thereof) in the next few days.

(Point 5 should be taken with an even greater pinch of salt as this was only mentioned, it was not part of the memo.)

1. Valve are shooting for one more preload next week however it may be 2 depending on bug analysis which may hence lead into the week containing the 30th of september. Vivendi are prepared either way and are leaving the decision up to Valve considering the importance of the title. (hey, what's one more week!)

2. Once the product has gone GOLD it will be released on Steam ASAP (nothing to more to be done, so why not ASAP) possibly a couple of days before the planned September 30th CD RTM release depending upon how much Valve get done before Friday the 24th, I guess its there call.

3. The 30th of September release is still the date Valve hope to have released the gold version to CD Production, but if necessary it will be pulled back and will hence spill into October this also applies to Steam until the Gold version is set. I will leave you to guess how long it will be before it arrives on the shelves after the GOLD version is released to CD Production.

4. Following the recent issues with CounterStrike Source, Valve have been updating code for both games and this should be mostly implemented in the HL2 Gold release if not entirely the update should be available within a week or so via Steam.

5. At the present moment Valve & Vivendi are tinkering with the CD Key/Steam/Multiplayer/Singleplayer situation and it looks like LAN Servers can play under 1 CD Key but they are planning a cap (something like 6 - 8 players), internet is a different story. It also seems that the singleplayer can be played offline (steam running, but not online) but you will need to inform Valve via Steam once (e.g. like Microsoft Office or Windows Product Activation)

Hope this sparks some interest, if I learn more from my cool Vivendi Source I will update this post.

Enjoy!

I Would Believe it. But like this.. their are many rumors. its good you heard it. people may or may not believe it.

Most of all say i believe it when its out.

we all know coming out very soon cause there alrdy 3 preloading done. So we hope btw tnx for the info. i believe you :)

2. Once the product has gone GOLD it will be released on Steam ASAP (nothing to more to be done, so why not ASAP) possibly a couple of days before the planned September 30th CD RTM release depending upon how much Valve get done before Friday the 24th, I guess its there call.
That's illegal and breaches Valve/VU's agreement. I don't think this is real.
5. At the present moment Valve & Vivendi are tinkering with the CD Key/Steam/Multiplayer/Singleplayer situation and it looks like LAN Servers can play under 1 CD Key but they are planning a cap (something like 6 - 8 players), internet is a different story.
A cap for LAN players? Yeah right.

Oh I see...you need 1 key for each client to login so that's actualy completely wrong! :p

Do you know how Valve is planning with Steam in the future? and what upgrades? Didn't think so.

So we'll see what they got up their sleeve

Right. So they're going to do a complete u-turn and let people play without their own unique key? I don't know what will happen in the future, but I do know it won't be anything as stupid as that.

Fingers crossed - I like the sound of this plan. End of the month for this would suit me fine now that I am up and running on Steam :D

so for those of us who have the free key from an ati card, does that mean we can download it right off of steam? i have had that lil card i got with my ati card for almost a year now, i want to use it!!!

so for those of us who have the free key from an ati card, does that mean we can download it right off of steam? i have had that lil card i got with my ati card for almost a year now, i want to use it!!!

Of course it will work with Steam... that's what they were meant for anyways. :p

That's illegal and breaches Valve/VU's agreement. I don't think this is real.

5. At the present moment Valve & Vivendi are tinkering with the CD Key/Steam/Multiplayer/Singleplayer situation and it looks like LAN Servers can play under 1 CD Key but they are planning a cap (something like 6 - 8 players), internet is a different story.

Well my friend must have intepreted this wrong from his mum, only relaying information can't verify anything so don't blame me if the info is not entirely correct, not trying to get people angry or start wars!

My friend's uncle's father's second wife's son who lives in states and works at Valve as a cleaner overheard Gabe Newell saying that their plan at making everybody believe in that HL2 will be out this year has succeeded. And that the game will not be out this year as they have yet to come up with a good story.