quick format full format

A full format also performs a chkdsk along with removing the table, a quick format just removes the table.

cool, i didnt know that, i mean, i knew there had to be a reson to offer a quick and normal format, i just didnt know the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a reasonably slow formatter, always do full though, windows/programs partition is only 30GB, so I just use the time for something productive...like looking at numbers from 0 to 100 :p

• 4 weeks later...

another difference between quick format and full format is that full format removes everything, while quick format only deletes the root folder and FAT (file allocation table). deleting the fat has the effect that your pc doesn't find the files on your hard disk any more, but they are still there. but because your pc doesn't find them any more, it just writes over them... :)

Imo good practice to use them would be Quick format if you know the drive is sector healthy, and use Full format if say your formatting a customers computer at work or you just bought the harddrive.

another difference between quick format and full format is that full format removes everything, while quick format only deletes the root folder and FAT (file allocation table). deleting the fat has the effect that your pc doesn't find the files on your hard disk any more, but they are still there. but because your pc doesn't find them any more, it just writes over them...?:))

584887737[/snapback]

Yep yep

Thats why you here when people say i did a format(quick) that i still have some files left over from that format etc.

On occasions the quick format will do its job fine, on rare occasions, Registry values, files and alike pop up to cause hassles etc.

Always use full format.