Do LCD monitors affect vision?

Hey, i knew this long time ago, but i wasen't too sure, right now i have a normal 15" monitor...and i do need glasses to see 'far' i also heard that LCD monitors dont affect ur vision meaning u can sit all day and it wont affect your eye sight liek the normal huge @$$ monitors do...So is this true? if they are the same.. how much difference are lcd than the normal fat monitors? :ninja:

thx

ps sory if i posted in wrong thread : :blush:

If you mean radiation, yes, the LCD's are 'safer' since they emit less of it. Not that a CRT would make you sick, though.

584947238[/snapback]

How less? do you know? or can u find some site that says like normal monitor: blah blah radiation, LCD: 50% less or something..Thx

as far as putting strain on your eyes, yes, an lcd is a lot better. i just switched back tho to a crt, lcd's really arent what they are hyped up to be unless you get something above $400 (at least from my experience)

i thikn my eye sight is getting worse and worse, and i want it to stop..but i cant really avoid computers because i do all my work on them (hmwk, etc) and stuff..I dont have $400+ but i think i have around $300 so any decent lCd/crt monitors for that much in canada? [ont]

There is no conclusive evidence that any VDU - TV, CRT, LCD, affects eyesight in any way.

584947406[/snapback]

than why when i spend 2 hours on a crt my eyes hurt and my head aches a bit while on an lcd i can go for much longer. can you explain that to me?

A major difference between CRTs and LCDs is that LCDs don't flicker like CRTs do. CRTs flicker 120 times per second (in north america, 100 times per second in the uk) due to the AC power cycle. It's faster than our eyes can see, although if you record a CRT on video camera you'll see lines through it due to the flickering. This doesn't happen on LCDs, as it's light is provided by DC power instead of an AC power. As a result they are easier on your eyes.

A major difference between CRTs and LCDs is that LCDs don't flicker like CRTs do.  CRTs flicker 120 times per second (in north america, 100 times per second in the uk) due to the AC power cycle.  It's faster than our eyes can see, although if you record a CRT on video camera you'll see lines through it due to the flickering.  This doesn't happen on LCDs, as it's light is provided by DC power instead of an AC power.  As a result they are easier on your eyes.

584947434[/snapback]

thanks for the explanation

yar.. yesterday i was playing some games on the computer for several hours then started geting a headache.. seldom experience this although i get headache quite often.. even when its not computer related.

could it be because my exams are like just over and suddenly im back to using the computer? im not sure..

but i see my friends lcd screen is like much more soothing on the eyes.. hopefully i can get one :)

than why when i spend 2 hours on a crt my eyes hurt and my head aches a bit while on an lcd i can go for much longer. can you explain that to me?

584947428[/snapback]

What?s the refresh rate that you use on your CRT?

A major difference between CRTs and LCDs is that LCDs don't flicker like CRTs do.  CRTs flicker 120 times per second (in north america, 100 times per second in the uk) due to the AC power cycle.  It's faster than our eyes can see, although if you record a CRT on video camera you'll see lines through it due to the flickering.  This doesn't happen on LCDs, as it's light is provided by DC power instead of an AC power.  As a result they are easier on your eyes.

584947434[/snapback]

Isn't the flickering due to the monitors refresh rate?

i was honestly thinking about this today...

how muh radiation do monitors put off... and some cases too :s

i know TV puts off alot of radiation, but oh well, were surrounded by it, its time we get use to radiation lol

Didn't Macs by default have something like 100hz, while most PC monitors are set to 70hz?

Isn't having I set higher better? I don't know.

I think I'm talking out of my ass on this one...

Didn't Macs by default have something like 100hz, while most PC monitors are set to 70hz?

584947593[/snapback]

Well I know you got the part about the refresh rate right, higher is definitely better as higher refresh rates reduce flickering which in turn reduces eye strain.

584947593[/snapback]

No, graphics cards and monitors are practically the same on PCs and Mac (sometimes exactly the same). The technology used on both platforms is the same except for the processors and mainboards. The rest (internals like RAM, hard drives, sound chips, etc etc.) comes from the same factories, believe me.

LCDs are certainly the "in" thing these days, but like everything else have their ups and downs. While they certainly look sweet, and are major space savers, be aware that there are inherent limitations with LCD technology.

If you are an average user, who surfs the web and listens to music, etc., then an LCD is fine for you. But if you are into gaming, are a videophile, or use applications where image quality is very important (photo editing, video), then be aware of the fact that LCDs have poorer brightness levels, contrast ratios, color saturation, and refresh rates than traditional (CRT) monitors do.

Refresh rate: for gaming, your display needs to be capable of updating at least 60 times/second. Typical (cheap) LCD displays with a 25ms "response time" are only capable of updating 40 times/second. Therefore, fast moving objects on the screen tear, and leave slight trails (blur). You will need to get a monitor with a 16ms response time or lower if you are into gaming. 16ms = 62.5Hz refresh rate. Even better is 12ms, which updates ~83 times/second. That is in the range of a typical CRT (75-85Hz.) Usually 85Hz or higher is preferred for gaming, depending on the capabilities of the monitor.

Brightness and Contrast Ratio: an LCD cannot match the light output or contrast ratio of a CRT--at least not yet. An LCD display cannot render true black. That is a side-effect of the technology used. You will see LCDs listed with "Contrast Ratio" specs of 250:1, or 400:1, or 700:1. The higher the better. Basically a 500:1 ratio means that the brightest spot on the monitor (100% white) is 500x brigher than the darkest spot (100% black.) CRT displays CAN show absolute black, and so the contrast ratio between black and white is infinite. The result of this is that you can only get the true range of shadow detail on a CRT device. This is true for televisions as well: LCD- or DLP-based tvs, which are all the rage nowadays, cannot render the shadow detail that a CRT-based tv can.

All that being said, LCDs are still a good choice, as long as you know what you are getting into. Buying an LCD monitor that approaches the quality of a good CRT monitor is not going to be cheap. Buying a 17" flat panel with a 16ms response time, and greater than 500:1 contrast ratio, will set you back around $500 US. You can buy a good 21" CRT monitor for that price.

I've noticed that when I use anything below or above 70 hz my eyes seem to hurt a little more. 70hz at 1280x1024 is perfect more me. I can't even stand to look at 60 hz, esp when windows 2000 boots up. Has anyone ever noticed that?

I've noticed that when I use anything below or above 70 hz my eyes seem to hurt a little more.  70hz at 1280x1024 is perfect more me.  I can't even stand to look at 60 hz, esp when windows 2000 boots up.  Has anyone ever noticed that?

584947714[/snapback]

Yes, I notice right away when I see a monitor at 60Hz. I can?t stand it.