Deamon Tools and Alcohol 120% won't install

Question

When i tried to install daemon tools today, it got through most of the setup, then game this is error:

Device setup error: code 25057 (0x61E1), 2 (0x2).

and did a rollback. I figured this just might be daemon tools, but i tried to installed alcohol 120% and gave me the same exact error. I googled the error code and came up with this page on the alcohol soft forums, which provided the answer:

I have now managed to get Alcohol52 installed and working perfectly, here is what I did... ( This is only relevent for people with 64bit Processors using WinXP SP2 )

I suspected that this problem might have something to do with the default DEP configuration so I went into the Boot.INI file and changed the setting from OptIn to AlwaysOff. Then I restarted the system. Installed Alcohol52 without any errors at all. Run Alcohol52 for the first time and configured it to my needs etc then changed the Boot.INI file back to what it was, restarted system again and everything is hunky dorey. Hope this information is useful to someone...

now i opened my boot.ini file to edit it, but this is all that it had in it:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

as you can see, the optin command is in there, but i have no idea how to change it to "AlwaysOff". does anyone have any suggestions?

i appreciate it

Mike

2 answers to this question

exactly - just change the piece of text that says optin to alwaysoff. Just open it in notepad, and save it. Best keep a backup though, just in case!