DEFINITIVE Intro to Linux Window Managers

This post will serve as the central point on Neowin for "introduction" threads that explain the basics of some of the Window Managers or Desktop Enviornments available to *nix users. The intent is that these "introductions" will cover some detail on how to customize your environment to your preferences (GUI config tools and text files, if applicable). These are to be written by Neowin members for Neowin members. Please do not just rip the content from another site. Write it up for the rest of us, and do us proud! :)

In the individual threads, I would like other members to comment and add material they think is appropriate by posting the information in the appropriate thread. The thread starter can add this new content into the first post, or a moderator can do this, as well.

Desktop Environments

Window Managers

Items without a link above need a thread started, so what are you waiting for? See how others have been doing it (it is actually easy, but just takes a small commitment of time), start a new thread and write up a simple intro on how you can customize your favorite WM/DE. Let's share new information and get other users interested in how they can customize their Linux!

Edited by markjensen

Your efforts would be greatly appreciated, as I believe that this thread will be a great resource for anyone wanting to learn/try a new environment. (Y)

Ok, I'll start the gnome one tonight, if anyone wants to help make it real good, you should PM me and we could get working :)

I'm also looking to make a Step by Step installation guide for Ubuntu (for the complete noobs) so family and friends can get it installed with no hassle.

If I'm up for it, I might do a Gnome one :)

586061945[/snapback]

Ahem. If you could say howto install Gnome that would be great :D I couldn't find Gnome 2.10.1 tgz's for Slack... I build Dropline GNOME but that screwed KDE up.

thechitowncubs if u will do the gnome part can u please add to u guide of gnome, how upgrade gnome 2.10 to 2.12, step by step, I will appreciate!

Ahem. If you could say howto install Gnome that would be great :D I couldn't find Gnome 2.10.1 tgz's for Slack... I build Dropline GNOME but that screwed KDE up.

586122270[/snapback]

Patrick recommends GNOME.SlackBuild, I use it on my Slackware machine, pretty good.

http://gsb.freerock.org/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dropline?

586223702[/snapback]

http://dropline-gnome.sourceforge.net/

:happy: Its basically just a Slackware build of Gnome which means it can be installed quickly and will work on a default Slackware install. Its pretty good, but it can be a bit buggy. I had to 'install' it 3 times before it would actually fully install itself.

• 1 month later...
Someone should do a FVWM intro, its quite nice. Here's a screeny (not mine):

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/scott/fvwm_red.png

Going to be trying it out when i finally get my laptop, so if no one does anything about it till then i might. :p

586650177[/snapback]

FVWM looks nice, I have never used it before, might try it out later. :)

EDIT: Is there a reason why no one has tried to do one for Gnome. I figured it would have already been done considering it's popularity. :D

• 3 months later...

IceWm is my favorite windows manager. I have tried many others and keep returning to IceWM. I think the reason is best stated at the IceWM website, "The goal of IceWM is speed, simplicity, and not getting in the user's way".

I don't think I could improve on the guide at OSnews:

IceWM - The Cool Window Manager

I recommend making this tweak so that the menu works without alot of clicking and opens when the mouse hovers over the menu (like a very popular proprietary OS). Edit the preferences file (~/.icewm/preferences) and change the "MenuMouseTracking" parameter to:

MenuMouseTracking=1

You may need to delete the # character and spaces at the beginning of the line to uncomment the parameter.

Here is a tip. Need a run box, windowskey + spacebar, type away then Enter. Change your mind, use the Esc key.

It does take some manual configuration but it is pretty simple to do. IceWM does pack alot of functionality into a small amount of screen space.

Enjoy!

^^^ That is a good IceWM overview there. :yes:

I added it to the first post, noting it is an external link. Thanks for pointing it out! (Y)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...