[VB.NET] Get index of selected item in listview

Question

Okay, basically, I want to get the index of the currently selected item (MultiSelect is set to False) in a ListView every time the selection changes. I'm using 'ListView.SelectedIndices.Item(0)' as the index of the currently selected item. It works fine when I use it on the Click event, but I want to get it every time the selection changes, whether by mouse or keyboard.

When I try to do it on the SelectedIndexChanged event, it works the first time, but the next time I select something, it gives me the error: ArgumentOutOfRangeException -- Value of '0' is not a valid for 'index' (referring to ListView.SelectedIndices.Item(0)). Can anybody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

That's because the event fires twice. Once for the item being selected, and once for the item that is no longer selected. Just check the SelectedItems.Count for > 0 before perforrming any operations on the first item in the collection.

Hi!

I know this is over 6 years old thread, but I really want to say thanks for this solution to the problem. I had identical problem and had been staring at the screen for quite a while. I didn't even think of event fireing twice. Wow. That's really wierd. :p

Cheers!