[NCAAF] What games were you most surprised about?

Seems like there weren't too many upsets, mostly what I'd call reality checks with some overrated teams being shown for what they are *cough* Boise State *cough*.

Anything this weekend catch you guys off guard, aside form the National Championship caliber play of the Georgia Bulldogs? :D

The only surprise was Oklahoma's loss to Tulsa - 17-10

586486868[/snapback]

That is a surprise!

They also got beat by TCU, same score, this past weekend! ;)

oklahoma overrated.

tennessee overrated.

miami vs. fsu was the worst played football game i've ever seen in my life. both teams should be out of the top 15.

mid-majors need to shutup about being in a national title game until they actually beat someone big.

this weekend will decide the fate of the big 10: michigan vs. notre dame and ohio st. vs texas.

both games have possible national title importance.

big 10 looks good as of now. sec looks improved.

pac 10, acc, and big 12 look really weak though.

OU was the biggest upset in the books.  I have to say next week, the biggest upset will be Notre Dame beating Michigan.

How does that sound, BroChaos? ;)

586488828[/snapback]

That would be horrible and doubtful! GO BLUE!

i don't think anybody understands that cjbeckwith. if i had a 5 year old sister, i bet even she could tell you that the big least is one of the weakest conferences in all of football, and even their "champ" shouldn't be in the top 25.

@lethal-bring it buddy :p

kinda hard to upset nebraska when they aren't ranked ;)

i'll be honest though. i'm worried about ND. and i don't trash talk my own team until after the game. just gotta play your hardest and hope for the best.

I thought Michigan would crush N. Illinois. That being said, the Huskies usually have a decent team year in and year out. I think it is really hard for some of the big name schools to prepare for games like that. Obviously, there is alot more film on Michigan than on N. Illinois. That is why you always see a team or two get tripped up early in the season.

I thought Michigan would crush N. Illinois.  That being said, the Huskies usually have a decent team year in and year out.  I think it is really hard for some of the big name schools to prepare for games like that.  Obviously, there is alot more film on Michigan than on N. Illinois.  That is why you always see a team or two get tripped up early in the season.

586488974[/snapback]

i agree 100%. people said michigan didn't look that great, but i can guarantee you they will look better against ND. these small teams always get way more fired up, and have a lot more to play for. the big teams view these games as "warm ups" which can be a bad attitude to have. NIU is definitely not a bad team, being 14th overall in rushing last year, and individually wolfe being #7 in the nation last year.

Pitt sucks, I can't believe they got a Top 25 ranking. Yeah, they have a good QB but their defense is horrible, they gave up 38 to ND last season when the ND offense was absolutely terrible. So, that game didn't suprise me at all, actually, I expected ND to come out like that...I did NOT expect their defense to be so much improved though.

Oklahoma surprised me for losing but I did think they would struggle to win. You can't expect your running back to play 1 on 11. And their defense is not the same as in previous years.

Biggest suprise to me would be Tennessee SQUEAKING one out against UAB (I picked UAB to cover the 23 but not lose by only 7). Hopefully, they play that way in 2 weeks but I doubt it.

By the way, anyone else think Marcus Vick is SEVERLY overrated? VA Tech being ranked in the Top 10 is hilarious. He should give Eli a call and start a gang called "Coattail Riders".

well, if it isn't obvious yet, QB experience WILL make or break any team.

Ohio state, michigan, iowa, texas, usc, nd, and georgia all played well. all had experienced QB's.

oklahoma, miami, florida st., tennessee (hard to get experience splitting time 3 ways), and virginia tech all had rookie QBs, and their teams either squeaked by or lost.

i'm the biggest vick hater in the world, but i don't think marcus vick was THAT bad. although he wasn't as WOW as everyone said he would be.

IMO, biggest overrated player of the week award goes to miami's hester. he committed a mistake EVERY time the ball came near him. not ONCE did he make a solid/positive play.

Ohio state, michigan, iowa, texas, usc, nd, and georgia all played well.  all had experienced QB's.

oklahoma, miami, florida st., tennessee (hard to get experience splitting time 3 ways), and virginia tech all had rookie QBs, and their teams either squeaked by or lost.

i'm the biggest vick hater in the world, but i don't think marcus vick was THAT bad.  although he wasn't as WOW as everyone said he would be.

IMO, biggest overrated player of the week award goes to miami's hester.  he committed a mistake EVERY time the ball came near him.  not ONCE did he make a solid/positive play.

586489210[/snapback]

Yeah, forgot about Hester...probably because he was MISSING FROM THE DAMN GAME. What really irked me about Vick was a particular drive in the 3rd quarter (when he made his 2 nice runs). After every single play, ESPN kept showing Michael on the sideline. It was annoying as hell; never have I seen someone NOT even in uniform be that much of the broadcast. ESPN has a major suckfest going on with both of them, that's probably why I dislike them so much.

And don't forget Chris Leak in the QB factor. 330 yards 3 TDs 0 INTs and 17 straight completions. Finally he has an offense that opens it up for him.

IMO, biggest overrated player of the week award goes to miami's hester.  he committed a mistake EVERY time the ball came near him.  not ONCE did he make a solid/positive play.

586489210[/snapback]

Maybe Deion gave him some bad advice to help FSU :devil: . lol

Ohio state, michigan, iowa, texas, usc, nd, and georgia all played well.  all had experienced QB's.

i'm the biggest vick hater in the world, but i don't think marcus vick was THAT bad.  although he wasn't as WOW as everyone said he would be.

586489210[/snapback]

Although UGA's Shockley is a senior he has had relatively little playing time splitting duty with Greene for three years. He looke d alot better than most of us were anticipating, about 250 yds and 6 TDs (5 pass, 1 rush)?! I just wish it had been against a "better" team and not some overrated second tier team.

By far the most suprising was Oklahoma getting it handed to them...and Boise State got ripped up too

Note to the Marcus Vick haters: Don't hate on Marcus because you don't like Michael...thats just crazy. I even got ticked that ESPN kept showing Michael instead of Marcus when he made good plays. But, he didn't play spectacular because they weren't calling very risky plays (because he's making his first start against one of the top defensive units in the nation!!! Or didn't you realize this?). I thought he played pretty calm and collected considering he hasn't been on the field in such a long time AND considering the pressure and media scrutiny surrounding him on and off the field lately. Overall I was a little disappointed in the teams performance but they never open up really strong...they always begin the season very very conservative.

BroChaos: How did the ACC show you they were weak? BC beat BYU...Clemson beat Texas A&M...Georgia Tech beat Auburn...Maryland beat Navy (suprise)...UVA beat Western Michigan (Another Suprise)...Wake Forest loses to Vandy (who cares)...

Are you sure you aren't a little biased? :p

Edited by DreAming in DigITal

Oooooooo, I forgot the Clemson game. Even though it was at Clemson I thought Reggie McNeal and A&M were going to win that game pretty easily. I'm not big on Charlie Whitehurst, alot of hype and everytime I see him play he's far from good.

O and not a surprise but just an observation. Does Miami ever stop producing great TEs. I mean lately they haven't been panning out in the pros as well as people have expected but in college these guys are incredible. Against FSU Greg Olsen had 8 catches for 137 yards including four consecutive third-down conversions, including a 3rd and 19. Sorry if this is the only game I'm really commenting on but it's the only one I saw since I was away for the weekend lol.

I just realized I didn't comment on the game here but in the Pick 'em thread. Oops. Well anyway, yeah, that's my excuse.

/\ Yea Olsen played a good game...Also, as much as I hate to say it, give the miami QB another 4 or 5 games and he's going to be tearing it up. He can really throw a ball.

By far the most suprising was Oklahoma getting it handed to them...and Boise State got ripped up too

Note to the Marcus Vick haters: Don't hate on Marcus because you don't like Michael...thats just crazy. I even got ticked that ESPN kept showing Michael instead of Marcus when he made good plays. But, he didn't play spectacular because they weren't calling very risky plays (because he's making his first start against one of the top defensive units in the nation!!! Or didn't you realize this?). I thought he played pretty calm and collected considering he hasn't been on the field in such a long time AND considering the pressure and media scrutiny surrounding him on and off the field lately. Overall I was a little disappointed in the teams  performance but they never open up really strong...they always begin the season very very conservative.

BroChaos: How did the ACC show you they were weak? BC beat BYU...Clemson beat Texas A&M...Georgia Tech beat Auburn...Maryland beat Navy (suprise)...UVA beat Western Michigan (Another Suprise)...Wake Forest loses to Vandy (who cares)...

Are you sure you aren't a little biased?  :p

586490385[/snapback]

i wouldn't say the NC State D is THAT good. they were about 28 or so in the nation last year. like i said, i didn't hate on vick that much, as he played decent. i will be hating soon though, when he loses a couple games. ;)

ACC weak? Because all 3 of your top teams played pretty bad. I've seen pop warner teams play better football than miami and florida st. both those teams should be out of the top 25 (they both will be after they lose at least 2 each). and the 2nd best team VaTech barely squeaked by an unranked NC St team. and i'm not buying the "top defensive units" claim. they are above average, but not top.