Instaling amsn or anyhting at all

Help me please, i am very new to LInux. I want to install asmn on my SUSE 9.1 computer. So I went to ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-gbv/rpms/SuSE_9.1 and download the amsn 0.94.src.rpm file. After a while it downloaded and a description of the file came up. I clicked "install with YaST" and it looked like it was doing something but it didn't. What do I have to do to make any rpm work?

Brilliant thanks a million, it works perfectly, how did you now I needed the other one? the README what was on the ftp site kindda poited me to the other one...

rpms are a hundred times better then .exe. I love the integration is has with YaST

586690546[/snapback]

The other rpm you downloaded contains the source code for the program, the one I directed you to contains a compiled version made for your distribution.

any of the RPMs that have ".src.rpm" are just going to be source code rpms.

Brilliant thanks a million, it works perfectly, how did you now I needed the other one? the README what was on the ftp site kindda poited me to the other one...

rpms are a hundred times better then .exe. I love the integration is has with YaST

Does SUSE have a package manager tool where you can just specify apt-get install amsn, rather than having to search for the correct app version yourself?

I think that YAST will handle dependencies, but I don't see it getting the correct original file. I don't have any real SUSE experience, but this seems more difficult than it should be. :unsure:

depends on what linux distro you have, if its based on red hat (i think), then it's .rpm, if it's based on debian, then its .deb... but yeah, it's basically the same as .exe... you can get more info on rpm here...

Lol don't start throwing code at me, I have no idea what that means or even where to type it! YaSt was very helpful and I am sure that now I've done it once I can do it again... I would hope.

Does SUSE have a package manager tool where you can just specify apt-get install amsn, rather than having to search for the correct app version yourself?

586690597[/snapback]

Providing YAST knows about the software (i.e. the appropriate repository is available) you can just type 'yast -i [packagename]', and it will download the package and all its dependencies (or ask for the appropriate cd/dvd), and then install it.