Source 64-bit

Excellent news... is this only announced or already on steam? In XP32 atm but will reboot to x64 later tonight to give this a try... I think source 32-bit already runs a bit faster for me in x64, so hopefully 64-bit engine will be even smoother.

I just logged into Steam after reading this (on Windows XP x64) and got this Steam News popup:

For those of you running with a 64-bit capable AMD? processor, along with the Windows? 64-bit operating system, Half-Life 2 and Lost Coast are now available in native 64-bit versions. Steam will automatically detect your OS and run the appropriate version the next time you run these games.

We've been working with AMD to get the Source? engine up and running in 64-bit mode to make sure we're taking advantage of these hardware configurations. This is just a first step for Valve into 64-bit. Going forward, we realize that more and more of our customers will be running with 64-bit processors and we will be set to take true advantage of them.

The official press release is available here.

Well my laptop has a 7800 but Pentium M is only 32-bit processor. I'm playing 64-bit source on my AMD64 desktop that only x800 Pro video...

LOL... anyways I just noticed that was for HL2 and Lost Coast only... I 'tried' Counter-Strike: Source with no improvements... wishful thinking! :whistle:

Hopefully 64-bit CS:S and DoD:S will come soon...

Edit: Just play Lost Coast 64-bit... the gameplay was much smoother even with 2x AA and 4x Filtering at 1280x1024 and highest details.

Edited by Budious

I got this update just, but im running WindowsXP (not x64).....i know its the latest update cos i was playing CSS lastnight....

Reading the news page, it says AMD64 with WinXP x64 :unsure:

aaaaaaaa my Source dont work anymore!! I opened Steam and it updated the platform files, then it started to update HL2 and Source, and once that was all done i ran CS and the loadin screen shows like normal, then it goes all black but i can still click stuff but dnt know wat i'm clickin, it makes the little noise of my noise going over the stuff for example. Find Severs, New Games, Quit etc... i dnt know wats wrong, anyone got any ideas?

Wonder why i got the update then :unsure:

Did is say it was the 64-bit update because there was also a DoD: Source update as well. And even if you did get the update, it just can't work without a 64-bit OS.

Did is say it was the 64-bit update because there was also a DoD: Source update as well. And even if you did get the update, it just can't work without a 64-bit OS.

kk, i did get the update tho, CS:S and HL2 both said they were updateing (and i ran Steam about 10PM (GMT) lastnight with no updates)....The game looks different (as i said on Page1 of this thread), shiny things are more shiny (like water and bump maps), i have noticed a small increase in performence too :unsure:

But I am deffinatly runniing x86 version of WindowsXP....maybe they added AMD64 stuff? :unsure:

Either way, the update i got was a good one :)

well this is another reason for me to install 64bit windows that i already have but there is no good 64bit antivirus and firewall out there, o well

Umm, NOD32 is basically the best antivirus you can get, and its available in 64-bit...

As for firewall, just get a NAT router (It'll cost about the same price as a decent internet security suite probably) and it'll be better than any software firewall anyone could ever throw at your system.

http://www.eset.com/download/download.htm

maybe ill go out and buy a sound card (that has 64bit drivers available) and install 64bit again now that steam will be releasing some 64bit ver of games