msmail.dll Could Not Be Initialzed

Long story short, after lots of trial-and-errors, I managed to install Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta using Install_WLMail.exe (not the extracted files) and got in working (so far - initial run). Here are my problems and solutions:

- error 1603 (install problem): Make sure the "Automatic Update" service is set to "Automatic" and is running.

- msmail.dll cannot initialized (run problem): Reboot system after successful installation and go to Windows Update site (using browser) and manually (custom) scan for any new updates. No Updates were found (for my system anyway). Exit browser and start Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta :D

Remember to uninstall any previous installation (and reboot) before proceeding with the above steps :D

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=472110&st=60 (post #65)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I installed the latest version and still have problems starting this program. Can't initialize because of not connected to internet and msmail.dll problem.

Any solutions?

I had this problem. The Windows Live team helped me with a load of e-mails basically telling me to remove it fully (from add or remove programs, all WLMd icons, all WLMd folders in "Application Data" and all WLMd folders in the Registry (mske sure you back up the registry first).

Then you restart your computer, download the brand new set-up file again and reinstall it. (Making sure you install it on the account you would like to use in on - e.g. in my case it was my Standrard account rather than the Admin account).

I did all of the above and after two times of trying it all I got it to work and have not had the same problem since.