Wireless network..

That would have been nice when routers like a 150+, But now you can pick up a router for 20 bucks.. So why all the trouble ?

Maybe where you live it costs about that much. But here in my country you can pick one up for about 200$. So it is a nice solution to a wireless problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Right this might help me out of a tight spot actually because I can't really afford a router right now.

We've just got a Dell Inspiron laptop for my parents and they want the internet. As it stands I have one computer connected to the internet (this one) which is through a PCI card to the wall socket.

The laptop has a Wireless card installed in it (Intel brand I think) and there is only going to be these two computers accessing the internet. So does this mean I can use my PCI connection to the Internet and then share it with this laptop, say if I purchase a USB wireless adapter for this system? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I'm assuming I can connect to the Internet by the method I'm using now and then share it with the laptop in the way I described above using the guide?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice (Y)

However, the downside is that the one computer with the actual internet connection has to be running for the other wireless computers to get internet. But, linking multiple laptops for information sharing is really a kool idea. :cool:

Yes dave you can share all forms of internet connections with windows xp.

You just need to buy and install a wireless network card for your desktop and then follow the guide in the first post of this topic

Yes dave you can share all forms of internet connections with windows xp.

You just need to buy and install a wireless network card for your desktop and then follow the guide in the first post of this topic

Thanks I\'ve got it all set up now. :)

I\'m using a USB adaptor for now to run it in ad-hoc and that means I only need to plug it in when the laptop needs the network, which is handy. Obviously not the best range by far but eventually when I have enough I\'ll look into some of the pre-n or wait until the final n standard is in before buying a router since g is starting on it\'s way out.

So far I\'ve been able to share my printer, internet connection, music and videos no problem. However, I tried to share my DVD drive since my older Vaio system doesn\'t have a DVD drive. Now, videos (ripped at about 1100kbps according to Winamp) work fine but there is massive corruption if I try a DVD. The sound skips and the picture has plenty of square blocks and it speeds up and slows down. I\'m assuming that\'s because the setup I have right now can\'t handle that amount of streaming (WMM is enabled)?