Shift to be reviewed

The folks over at Solidsnake Designs have their own monthly magazine called "The Herald" (of which I have the pleasure of being longest standing writer for) and for the month of September in a section called "Linux Corner" Shift Linux is being reviewed. :)

I just thought I would inform you all. :)

I don't mean to raffle any feathers but what's the point in reviewing it at this point? You cant possibly say its good at this early stage, there is practically nothing to review, it would only serve to give Shift a bad name :/

it would however put forward the commitment for a website to be involved in Open source distro that will be endorsed by us when it reaches a stable 1.0

With all the news of Google might be having it's own OS, how about Neowin might be having it's own OS, wheres the media!

Wheres the MEDIA! ahhhhhhh!

it would however put forward the commitment for a website to be involved in Open source distro that will be endorsed by us when it reaches a stable 1.0

With all the news of Google might be having it's own OS, how about Neowin might be having it's own OS, wheres the media!

The Media is in Israel. :(

imo, shift isnt an os as its based on a distro thats based on another which is based on a distro, if anything its a repackaged existing distro

imo, shift isnt an os as its based on a distro thats based on another which is based on a distro, if anything its a repackaged existing distro

I guess it really is down to what you define as a distro. Do we have to make our own Kernel patches? Do we need our own package manager? Do we just have to compile everything from source? It really is a subject that's open for debate, but regardless the point of this project is to produce a Linux Live CD for the Neowin community.

I haven't tried it yet. How stable is it?

It is still in beta form. We are really asking folks who want to test it out to do so..... and not really recommending it for installation at this point.

Barney

That is your opinion. However, we have posted many times that NO TROLLING of this distro is allowed. If you want to build your own distro then please be my guest. If you want to help our initiative, please be our guest. But to sit back and take pot-shots at others hard work is absolutely uncalled for.

Barney