[rel]FindeXer V1.1 Nightly #3

Well, I haven't posted this on Neowin before, mainly because i perceived it to be more of a "Themes" forum.

But, seeing releases of a few other apps here, i thought "Why not?"

FindeXer is an Explorer Bar that replaces the Folders/Info Pane with a much more customizable one.

You`ll be able to drag in (for addition) and out (for removal) ANY file or folder - including special folders such as ?My Computer? or ?Control Panel?.

Files dragged in and selected, will be opened up by the default Associated application, while Folders will be opened up for viewing by the Explorer Window.

FindeXer is NOT a .NET app! it was coded using C++ and ATL/WTL - so it can be as small and as fast as possible (without coding it in ASM and posting in about a year).

[note: this is NOT a bash at .NET, it is sipmly stating facts as i know some people have a "fear" of those for weird reasons]

Lots of customization options, one of which is the ability to ?get rid? of the Grey Titlebar, Enforced by Explorer on all sidebars. Just select the appropriate option in the General Appearance tab of the Options Dialog, and Poof - it`s gone.

This is the #3 beta release of V1.1 it should be FULLY USABLE (except for some of the ToolTipping features) - and will be actively developed as well as a few oFeatures coming in the next Versions of FindeXer :ndeXer :

• Item Info mini-display.
  • Customizable Info in the Tooltips.
  • Drive Mounting Detection (Dynamically aware PIDLs).
  • Detection of an Item`s Relocation.
  • Bar tabs.
  • Language/Color/Skin Customizing.
  • And much more (well, I have to leave some surprises Please do not feature request for now, as you can see I already have a lot planned out and will not be implementing any feature requests until i am finished with I plan.
    You are ofcourse welcome to report bugs and discuss the current fetures available.ailable.[/b]lablHELP NEEDED :NEEDED :
    - If you are a skilled artist and will be able to (and willing to) help with creating graphical icons to liven up the menus/option dialogs, or create logos for FindeXer, LessClix (and 2 other apps that are on the way) please contact Please :Please :
    • NO FEATURE REQUESTS... The development is full of queued stuff at the moment, there will be enough time for those LATER!
    • Read the Readme! (a shocking concept - i;)96;m sure ;) )
    • Enjoy...

Preview :

FindeXer[ss].png

This actually seems pretty cool, but I'm a bit concerned how it would act with my current WB theme that has a top shell style.

It's nice, and I've tried it, but I think I'll stick with my shell style. One thing I did notice was that when I tried to play around with Captions, what I typed in to be displayed didn't come up.

This actually seems pretty cool, but I'm a bit concerned how it would act with my current WB theme that has a top shell style.

It will work the same as in the default Windows Explorer.

This is just an extra pane in Windows Explorer which you can enable and disable like the Search pane.

It just like the directory tree, so the shellstyle will still showup the way it does in the default Windows Explorer :)

Its a very nice app. simple, custimizeble and lean. It uses here my own icons (tango theme). One thing i cant seem to figure out. If i enable the tree mode, and disable it again, the finder bar is gone. Do i mis something here? If it would come back just like the "task pane" (wich i dont use) then it would be perfect imo. Now i have to re-enable it manual again.

Thanx for you app!

emmo

ps, you i did read your info :) but a simple button to add on the explorerbar, to enable of disable the finder would an option to.

Since WB skins the shellstyle im wondering does this support the same skinning/theme from Shellstyle located in the theme used by WB? Or will it use its own theme because other than that it would look odd. And that would let me use it.

For recycle bin i wann change the icons but it only allows me to choose an icon for either Empty or full. I dont have one that changes on its own. Is there anyway to set two icons for when its empty and when its fulll.

@CrisCr0ss - as Capric0rn has already mentioned, there should be no problem with either WB or a VS - it does nothing to a top or bottom bar defined in the shellstyle. As for the "Recycle Bin" - FindeXer does not support Dynamic PIDL Awareness, which means that when something on your computer changes, FindeXer is not notified and therefor will not change anything in it's appearance or behaviour.

Dynamic PIDL Awareness is planned for the next version.

@drumy - the link is not dead, and has never been dead in the 2 months it's been up(i visit it at least a couple of times each day), if there are/were any problems it must have been with your host - sorry.

@All - for the next 2 weeks i will be pretty busy with moving the appartment (our lease is up), so there will be a slight delay with the next nightly i was planning on releasing. on the bright side, this means it will contain much more fixes/features then previously planned, so it might all turn out for the good ;)

• 1 month later...

Bump.

I want to use 32x32 icons, but they appear jagged. Using 48*48 looks fine, though. Any way to fix that?

Also, I might want to use 16x16 icons, but the program doesn't use the 16x icons, but the largest ones and scales them...

I REALLY like this app!!

Well done!

Still quite a few improvments to be done before I will use it.

I'd like to see:

-1px thin Panel border

-propper icon support (16x16,32x32)

This is kind of like a mod of FinderBar, but who cares, this app is a million times better than it.

Excellent work my friend, great work, I love it.