Workaround for Eolas update IE7

Hello,

I recently upgraded my IE to version 7.

However, since than I get on ActiveX controles the message to activate this ActiveX control.

I know I didn't select this update on WU on IE6, but somehow it got downloaded when installing IE7.

Is there a way - possibly change in register or so - to disable this ActiveX control and have it run without clicking twice?

Thx for your help.

Edit:

On the MS site I found KB917425, but this doesn't install on IE7 :(

No workarounds

It's built into IE7

Microsoft has to, they lost the lawsuit, remember

I know they lost the lawsuit, but I thought there might be a contra-patch against it by a 'third party', since this is kinda annoying to click twice on each ActiveX control...

• 3 weeks later...

on the subject, i seem to be having a problem with active x. For one of my online courses, i need to install this plug-in. When I try, i get an error msg saying that I do not have admn rights. Of course I do. Its not an IE problem, because I tried with Netscape and same problem.

Any help? Thx.

• 2 weeks later...

The fix is to change the website code. MSNBC/CNN are using scripting to disable the prompt.

Maybe someone can write a smart browser plug-in to dynamically change the html code to disable the prompt.

The fix is to change the website code. MSNBC/CNN are using scripting to disable the prompt.

Maybe someone can write a smart browser plug-in to dynamically change the html code to disable the prompt.

Yeah OK, that's from the website's (developers') view.

And what about the end-user like you and me... is there some reg-change possible or setting in IE7?

seems this is just a fact of life, living with software patents. in fact this thread would technically go against neowin's anti-circumvention rules [probably will be closed before i finish typing this message] just because its microsoft you're talking about doesn't mean they don't have to obey the law :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

This issue still bugs me.

I found the following website:

http://surfthenetsafely.com/ie7configure.htm

with the follwing script in an .exe file:

[Version]

Signature=$Windows NT$

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg=Add.Settings

[Add.Settings]

HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3,1001,0x00010001,0x00000003

HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3,1200,0x00010001,0x00000003

HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3,1405,0x00010001,0x00000003

HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3,2000,0x00010001,0x00000003

My question is: can these reg-changes be made to prevent the annoying extra click, so that immediately the ActiveX component is installed?

• 2 weeks later...