custom themes for Vista RTM?

Vista uses msstyles. Is that what you are looking for ?

Yes. I don't think that windows xp msstyles will work on Vista though. I will just wait for a while and see if some old favorits (watercolor lite) make their way to Vista.

Yes. I don't think that windows xp msstyles will work on Vista though. I will just wait for a while and see if some old favorites (watercolor lite) make their way to Vista.

I think they made the themes invista under a diferent file format. I tried to install the XP Royale theme on vista, added it to the corect path and everything, but it didn't show up in the theme selection.

Since a uxtheme patch for vista has been released

Huh? For Vista? Where? :unsure:

Search gets no hits...

Anyway, how do you edit the msstyles files in Vista? (x64)

ResEdit 2.20 doesn't work, and neither does ResHack :crazy:

I know about the antitgtsoft one, but it's not a *patcher* which patches the files on your system, it just offers replacement files, and only for the English version on top of that, so it's useless for me.

Also, no one knows how to edit the msstyles files in Vista? (x64)

As I said, ResEdit 2.20 doesn't work, and neither does ResHack.

> a UXTHEME PATCH for VISTA has been released

I too want to know where to find one, not a program.

I patched (replaced) the original uxtheme.dll with a modified one (someone made) and applied my desired

msstyle for my XP, and so have used it without installation of any additional program.

I don't know if Vista uses a similar system for its desktop style (it may not be a file named "uxtheme.dll"),

but I want to take the same way for Vista, only by replacing an original file(s) not using any extra program.

Help would be fine.

Thanx.

Marco

Anyway, how do you edit the msstyles files in Vista? (x64)

ResEdit 2.20 doesn't work, and neither does ResHack :crazy:

Its not possible to do it manually. There are no 64-bit resource hacking tools, they havn't been updated much in years.

Eventually TGTsoft will develop a 64-bit version of StyleBuilder.

Look at the works in progress and completed visual styles subforums! It is possible to make custom visual styles for Vista and apply them with a hacked uxtheme.dll, but I'm not sure if those will work in RTM.

I too want to know where to find one, not a program.

I patched (replaced) the original uxtheme.dll with a modified one (someone made) and applied my desired

msstyle for my XP, and so have used it without installation of any additional program.

I don't know if Vista uses a similar system for its desktop style (it may not be a file named "uxtheme.dll"),

but I want to take the same way for Vista, only by replacing an original file(s) not using any extra program.

Help would be fine.

Thanx.

Marco

• 4 weeks later...

I know about the antitgtsoft one, but it's not a *patcher* which patches the files on your system, it just offers replacement files, and only for the English version on top of that, so it's useless for me.

Also, no one knows how to edit the msstyles files in Vista? (x64)

As I said, ResEdit 2.20 doesn't work, and neither does ResHack.

Instead of whining, you *could* just email me the three files from your locale of Vista...

{myusername}@anti-tgtsoft.com

The language of the OS shouldn't make a blind bit of difference (otherwise Microsoft would have to recode and recompile every single dll and exe in the entire OS for every region).

Any hope to have a multilanguage patcher? I don't have an english version of Vista...I think applying that uxtheme patch (EN) maybe is not a good idea ^^

Vista is localized for the various languages. The core binary files are the same in all versions. Look in your System32 folder to see the localization folder. EN-US for example.

why doesnt windows just .... allow themes to be installed without hacking? i dont get it :blink:

It can be dangerous...you could make a 100% unusable theme and distribute it as a virus.