MS Points Scratch and Weep

ok, so bought myself two of those 1600 minute cards for the first time, get home all excited and realize you have to scrtach that thing off.

right, so why does it say "do not scratch before being prompted" or something? what, they got little camera bots tracking you from the store back to your study? i love microsoft btw!

but here's the clincher: so there i am in the study, eager for Doom and Galaga, whipping out a spare DVI-VGA adapter so i can scratch that thing off. what do you know? the secret number came off as well!

nice one guys, maybe it's time to make them a bit more durable?

save us, Spartan X!

1-800-4MYXBOX

Even without SpartanX to verify it, I would think that is your best bet for immediate resolution. Just make sure you have the serial number from the packaging on hand as well.

And may I also suggest using a coin on the next one. ;)

1-800-4MYXBOX

Even without SpartanX to verify it, I would think that is your best bet for immediate resolution. Just make sure you have the serial number from the packaging on hand as well.

yup... do as he said as I have very lil power over what's going on at the support centers... :happy: :yes:

thx guys, but i'm assuming support will just politely tell me to go **** myself as these things are kinda like CD keys right? i wouldn't blame them actually. which is why they don't even need to know, nolimit...

will try tho.

and larry, yes, i learned that lesson well...

HOWEVER, the point of this thread was to plea for sturdier materials used in constructing these cards. i'm sure there's many doofuses out there like me with the same problem.

haha, well this is funny.... the samething happened to me and i used my fingernail. Not all of it came off, only the last 4 letters but i called them and they told me to take it back to the store since they can check with some software they have there to see if it's used or not and they can issue me another. Yay!! i went there and they laughed at me... not really but they just told me they have no such ability and no GameStop does. LOL They told me to call microsoft again and they should be able to take care of me..... i got a hold of someone who could speak a lil more english this time and they told me to fax it and all that plus gave me a reference number.

Hopefully i can get something soon cuz i wanna buy some stuff.

thx guys, but i'm assuming support will just politely tell me to go **** myself as these things are kinda like CD keys right? i wouldn't blame them actually. which is why they don't even need to know, nolimit...

will try tho.

and larry, yes, i learned that lesson well...

HOWEVER, the point of this thread was to plea for sturdier materials used in constructing these cards. i'm sure there's many doofuses out there like me with the same problem.

This is why I use my credit card to purchase points :). Saves gas aswell.

yeah, you're right, the point cards are wasteful and too fragile anyway.

shotta, you actually bought that? software that checks codes? pah! as nice as they are, Xbox phone support really don't know what they're talking about half the time. and yes, they told me to fax them etc but i won't, it's easier to just get another card. of course, i reiterate my request for better-constructed cards.

well i tried calling back to see if i could get another person and i got the same girl the first time. LOL She's like it's me, you spoke to me about it already and all that. I'm like BUSTED! LOL anyways, i faxed it to them and she says the supervisors say they get alot of these calls and their working with them on a case by case basis. They'll call you back when they sort it out or something. Man, i wish they had that system implemented that they could just get the serial number and then apply the code to your account from their side instead of giving you a long ass code to write down.

Edited by SHoTTa35

• 1 year later...
1-800-4MYXBOX

i call and they tould me to go to gamestop i go to gamestop and they tould me they wont returned it. so what could i do

The reason that they ask that you do not scratch the panel until prompted is for the following reasons:

1) You don't accidentally put it down in a pile of other scratched ones then forget which one is the unused one

2) To minimise the chance of someone else memorising or writing down the number and beating you to the activation of the card

Hope this helps!

This happened to me once with a 1600 point card, I used a pocket knife to scratch it off. Mistake! I just took it back to gamestop and they gave me another one. I'm sure I just got lucky, I assumed they were gonna laugh in my face.

Funny how they give you scratch cards for the MS Points cards, when all the Live Gold trial and XBLA game cards I've received had little tear off paper covers. I was always impressed with how thought out the tear-off covers are (having ruined a few scratch-n-win's in my time)... too bad it's not used for all the code carrying packages.

<- Two years later, still amazed at how the RCA & Component connectors are shaped like little 360's. :laugh: