File sharing between Vista and OS X

After I installed Vista on my PC, I found that I could no longer log in to my OS X machine to share files. It turns out that Microsoft has quietly changed some security defaults in Vista that prevent logging in to OS X (how nice of them!). I did some searching and came across this article that tells how to change the setting in Vista back to allow logging in to OS X.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?p=225903

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

1. Click the Start Orb, type gpedit.msc into the Start Search field, and press Enter

Click the Continue button on the User Account Control prompt.

This will launch the Group Policy Object Editor for the Local Computer Policy.

2. In the Group Policy Object Editor, expand:

-> Computer Configuration

-> Windows Settings

-> Security Settings

-> Local Policies

-> Security Options

3. Open the 'Network security: LAN Manager authentication level' policy and change the Security Setting to:

Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

4. Click the OK button to save changes, and then close the Group Policy Object Editor.

• 1 month later...
After I installed Vista on my PC, I found that I could no longer log in to my OS X machine to share files. It turns out that Microsoft has quietly changed some security defaults in Vista that prevent logging in to OS X (how nice of them!). I did some searching and came across this article that tells how to change the setting in Vista back to allow logging in to OS X.

NOTE:

It apparently is NOT possible to do this in Vista Home Premium. The Group Policy Object Editor is NOT available (even though Help and Support says it is.)

Donald McDaniel

I had problems with this when I first got Vista too. I can now access my mac from my Vista machine. However, when I try to access files on an external hard drive (connected to my PC), from within OSX, none of the files display :/

Anyone know how to fix this?

• 2 months later...

another thing, i've seen this on another website, but once you see your mac on the network list, just enter in the ip and the username in the Username section and BAM your in...

for ex

username:192.168.1.3/xdviper

password: blank leave it

To change this setting in vista home basic or premium, start regedit and go to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel

Change the default entry from 3 to 1, and save it.

• 2 months later...