Mexican police offer Xboxes for guns

Mexican police offer Xboxes for guns

As part of a trial anticrime initiative to get people to give up firearms, police offer a trade-in for consoles and PCs.

Police attempting to tackle the problem of crime in the inner-city barrio of Tepito, Mexico, have come up with a novel idea. They're offering citizens game consoles in exchange for guns, reports Reuters.

Under the program, part of a push against drug violence, a small gun can be exchanged for cash or for an Xbox console. The report doesn't state whether the consoles are the original Xbox or Xbox 360.

High-calibre weapons such as machine guns would be swapped for a computer valued at 8,500 pesos ($769).

The weapons the police receive will be destroyed by the army, and those who give them up are promised anonymity. A police spokesperson reported that on the first day of the scheme, March 27, 17 guns had been handed in.

By Emma Boyes -- GameSpot

Posted Mar 28, 2007 8:45 am CT

Story from GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168193.html

Copyright ?2006 CNET Networks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Can we please introduce this policy in Iraq. Love to see how this would fly with some people :p

well LIVE isn't available in arabic yet so maybe not.. :p

Can we please introduce this policy in Iraq. Love to see how this would fly with some people :p

i really dont want to hear "death to america" everytime i get on live...i hear enough crap as it is

Ya the international nature of Live can be annoying. I hated hearing young brits "talk" during Halo 2 match ups. I wanted to carve my eyes out. :p

Ya the international nature of Live can be annoying. I hated hearing young brits "talk" during Halo 2 match ups. I wanted to carve my eyes out. :p

Hey! What are you trying to say about us Brits?! :p I personally feel there's nothing worse than a whiny American kid on Live.

Gun buyback programs don't work...you may take a couple hundred off the street that day, but I guarantee many more were made the same day that will replace them.

Buying Back Guns May Not Reduce Crime

Research: There is no evidence that gun buy-back programs reach the owners most likely to use their weapons.

By Mike Dorning

Mike Dorning wrote this article for the Chicago Tribune.

WASHINGTON - Piles of weapons handed over to the police for a few dollars make compelling photographs, but repeated studies of politically popular gun buy-back programs across the country have found no detectable effect on violent crime or on firearms deaths.

What's more, the guns and the owners that turn up for buy-backs represent neither the kinds of weapons nor the types of people generally involved in gun crimes, said several researchers who have studied the programs.

And some of those who participate in the buy-backs are cashing in on spare weapons but keeping at least one at home - or they are planning to use the proceeds to purchase another gun.

"or they are planning to use the proceeds to purchase another gun"

That's why money is a bad incentive. This is a slight variation that could have some nice effects like I mentioned before. Who knows though, they could just sell that computer/xbox 360 for a better gun that before :D.

yeah and how many pieces do these vatos locos have anyway?

and what do you get for heavier hardware? the black 360 i presume?

yeah and how many pieces do these vatos locos have anyway?

and what do you get for heavier hardware? the black 360 i presume?

No no, you get a PS3 :p

GARNER, N.C. -- A local police department hopes a few high tech rewards will help crack down on vandalism and graffiti.

Garner police officials say they are seeing more graffiti around town. The most recent case is the graffiti recently found along Benson Road near Garner Road.

To combat the problem, Garner police have come up with a creative way to get tips as to who is responsible.

The police are offering tipsters a game system of their choice including X-box, Playstation or Nintendo WII, or $500.

The tip must provide enough information to lead to the arrest and prosecution of the offender.

Source: NBC17

Pretty funny since it's only a 45min drive away :)

heh they give PS3's to the ones that run out of ammo.

crap that was my first PS3 joke ever, it was lame and now i feel bad about it.