Linking Notepad++ to run a compiler on F5?

Question

For college purposes, I need a quick, and light C IDE. Been using DevC++, since it's easy enough to create a new source file, enter code, and compile, without the need for creating projects, dependencies etc.

Problem with DevC++ is that the editor has some pretty bad highlighting and options. Notepad++ is miles ahead.

Now, I found that Notepad++ has options to run an external program, with arguments, when pressing F5, explained on the following link: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/run-HOWTO.php

Could anyone tell me how exactly to do that, and to which file? DevC++ is based on GCC, so it has gcc.exe in its root folder.

In lixux, the gcc syntax is, if I remember correctly:

gcc inputname.c -o outputname

Anyway, to sum it up, I would need the following: When you press F5, n++ calls GCC, and compiles and runs a new file, with its filename the same as the source code filename.

Thanx in advance :)

8 answers to this question

yes it possible, but with plug-ins and mini plug-in script

see:

// The script code, C source code compiling with GNU CC (GCC) in notepad++ (by "NppExec" plug-in) and compressing with UPX...
//
// Enable? "//" signs remove in code line. 
// Sample: C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe "$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)" -o $(NAME_PART)

YOUR_GCC\BIN\_PATH_HERE\gcc.exe "$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)" -o $(NAME_PART)

// UPX Compress (with "--best, --ultra-brute" options)
// Enable? "//" signs remove in code line. 
// Sample: C:\WINDOWS\system32\upx.exe --best --ultra-brute $(NAME_PART).exe

YOUR_UPX_PATH_HERE\upx.exe --best --ultra-brute $(NAME_PART).exe

I tried doing the post above to see if it worked and it seemed to compile fine, but it doesn't generate the .exe file within the folder with my sourcecode. I'm guessing the script needs some addition to copy it there.

Problem with DevC++ is that the editor has some pretty bad highlighting and options. Notepad++ is miles ahead.

Now, I found that Notepad++ has options to run an external program, with arguments, when pressing F5, explained on the following link: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/run-HOWTO.php

Could anyone tell me how exactly to do that, and to which file? DevC++ is based on GCC, so it has gcc.exe in its root folder.

In lixux, the gcc syntax is, if I remember correctly:

gcc inputname.c -o outputname

Anyway, to sum it up, I would need the following: When you press F5, n++ calls GCC, and compiles and runs a new file, with its filename the same as the source code filename.

Thanx in advance :)

You can edit the highlighting of DevC++ although I do like Notepad++. You might want to give Code::Blocks a go. It's also a pretty lightweight IDE, and it has some customisation options for syntax highlighting also.

On my system, Visual Studio's cold start is about 3 seconds, while Code::Blocks takes above 5 seconds. Eclipse takes 15 :p. I wouldn't rule out VS on the sole basis that it's a large and powerful IDE. It's also very efficient.

On my system, Visual Studio's cold start is about 3 seconds, while Code::Blocks takes above 5 seconds. Eclipse takes 15 :p . I wouldn't rule out VS on the sole basis that it's a large and powerful IDE. It's also very efficient.

Yeah I'll give you that, VS starts pretty quick on mine, although saying that Code::Blocks is around the same time. Feature-wise VS wins but I still like using CB / Dev C++ :p I think when I first started out and tried to do a few things in VS and it threw all this code at me before I could any of my own threw me a bit. Maybe I just tend to avoid it subconsciously now :laugh:

Yeah I'll give you that, VS starts pretty quick on mine, although saying that Code::Blocks is around the same time. Feature-wise VS wins but I still like using CB / Dev C++ :p I think when I first started out and tried to do a few things in VS and it threw all this code at me before I could any of my own threw me a bit. Maybe I just tend to avoid it subconsciously now :laugh:
I just redid my very informal test in which I count seconds out loud, watching the clock gadget, after lauching the program :

Visual Studio : 2.5 seconds

Code::Blocks : 3 seconds

Eclipse : 14 seconds

It's not very scientific :p but the results seem consistent. I wonder if there's an easy way to write a program that can reliably benchmark this? Anyway, my point was just to dispel the popular myth that open-source = much more efficient, because I've seen fully-fledged IDEs like DevC++ and Code::Blocks mentionned as "lightweight" alternatives, and I supposed VS was automatically cast aside based on that myth.

Of course I'm personally a big VS fan, the only reason I ever use anything else is if I'm working in Java or Python, or if I'm stuck on Linux for some homework. Oh and if you want your project to be empty : File -> New -> Project -> Visual C++ -> Empty Project. No code, not even a main.cpp. :)

On my system, Visual Studio's cold start is about 3 seconds, while Code::Blocks takes above 5 seconds. Eclipse takes 15 :p. I wouldn't rule out VS on the sole basis that it's a large and powerful IDE. It's also very efficient.

i agree. even though it's bloated, it's the best compiler out there and it's free (express edition)

Oh and if you want your project to be empty : File -> New -> Project -> Visual C++ -> Empty Project. No code, not even a main.cpp. :)

Yeah I think this was something I missed when I first started using VS :laugh: I'll give it another shot some time soon!