The oldest Oldtimer from the old countries coming aboard

Hi guys and girls, found this site by accident. Looks like a lot of nice and competent people got together. I am an oldtimer from the old countries. Wrote my first program in 1958 on a Zuse Z11 at my university (look up Zuse in Wikipedia) and my last in 1967 - that's when they promoted me to "Manager". From there on it went downhill until I finally reached the level of total incompetence. That's when I retired - 15 years ago. Never wanted a PC because I was a "Mainframe man". But the wife finally got to me. She wanted to go on Ebay and chat with the girls. So we got the first PC this year - now we have 3. I am on a steep learning curve and that's where all of you come in. Hope we can have a good time together and see ya soon. WHS

So what brought you here?

Lack of VISTA knowledge

Welcome to Neowin. Here's to many years of frustration with the PC. We love them, and they hate us. ;)

Hope we're able to help a vetran such as yourself. Here's a piece of funny to get you started.

Evolution of a Programmer

I may be a veteran in age, but not in knowledge - especially VISTA. I liked the funny piece. Reminded me of my own experience.

What's the betting that this dude:

1) Has a hell of a lot of knowledge to share.

2) Is gonna be a good laugh?

My money is placed on both as being true :)

Welcome, friend!

Hey WHS! Welcome to the forums. I joined early last year and came here every now and then. However, from today I've decided I am going to come here much more often and have even just subscribed!

It is an amazing forum and you are sure to find help with ANY problems, I believe. I've not had one problem which people could not solve.

Have fun! You're going to enjoy it :)

What's the betting that this dude:

1) Has a hell of a lot of knowledge to share.

2) Is gonna be a good laugh?

My money is placed on both as being true :)

Welcome, friend!

You are too kind. I buy the laughs. Forget the "knowledge". It is dated - like from before the civil war. WHS

Hey WHS! Welcome to the forums. I joined early last year and came here every now and then. However, from today I've decided I am going to come here much more often and have even just subscribed!

It is an amazing forum and you are sure to find help with ANY problems, I believe. I've not had one problem which people could not solve.

Have fun! You're going to enjoy it :)

That's encouraging cJr. WHS

The people around here have all pretty much grown up with the internet and computers, your "dated knowledge" may provide a unique and important perspective. Once you've gotten a handle on Vista be sure to check out the other facets of Neowin, there's a lot here.

Welcome!

^--- lol@that

Hey, Welcome! I read up on the Zuse on Wiki, and I thought I'd let you guys know... This guy was programming when vacuum tubes were new and considered really really fast.

In 1958 he was programming in binary on a computer that didn't even have vacuum tubes! And to think that I just CAN'T make programs without a few threads and the .NET framework.

This dude Zuse made the first computer that you could actually program, but that was in 1941.

Welcome! I am always interested in learning about the mainframe days. The only "big computers" that I've used are racks of servers which are nowhere near what the mainframes are like.