The Indian Premier League Thread

Indian Premier Leaguw 2008

The Indian Premier League (also known as the "DLF Indian Premier League"), is a Twenty20 cricket competition created by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). The first edition of the Indian Premier League starts on 18 April 2008

The 2008 Indian Premier League season will be the debut season of the Indian Premier League, established by the Board of Control for Cricket in India in 2007. The season is scheduled to start on 18 April 2008 and the final match will be held on 1 June 2008. The league will consist of 8 teams. Each team will play two matches with every other team, held at Home venue and Away venue. The league matches will be followed by two semi-finals and a final match

The Teams

The winning bidders for the eight franchises were announced on 24 January 2008.[12] While the total base price for auction was US$400 million, the auction fetched US$723.59 million.[13] The official list of franchise owners announced and the winning bids were as follows.

Franchise Owner(s) Price (USD)

Mumbai Indians - Mukesh Ambani and Reliance Industries Limited $111.9 million

Bangalore Royal Challengers - Dr. Vijay Mallya and UB group $111.6 million

Hyderabad Deccan Chargers - Deccan Chronicle $107 million

Chennai Super Kings - India Cements and N Srinivasan $91 million

Delhi DareDevils - GMR Holdings $84 million

Kings XI Punjab - Preity Zinta, Ness Wadia, Karan Paul (Apeejay Surendera Group) and Mohit Burman (Dabur) $76 million

Kolkata Knight Riders - Shah Rukh Khan, Juhi Chawla Mehta and Jai Mehta $75.09 million

Rajasthan Royals - Emerging Media: (Manoj Badale, Lachlan Murdoch, Suresh Chellaram) $67 million

The Indian Premier League is based on The Barclays Premier League

Fixtures

18 April 2008 
Bangalore Royal Challengers vs Kolkata Knight Riders
M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19 April 2008 
Kings XI Punjab vs Chennai Super Kings
Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19 April 2008 
Delhi DareDevils vs Rajasthan Royals
Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi 

20 April 2008 
Mumbai Indians vs Bangalore Royal Challengers
Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai 

20 April 2008 
Kolkata Knight Riders vs Deccan Chargers
Eden Gardens, Kolkata 

21 April 2008 
Rajasthan Royals vs Kings XI Punjab
Sawai Mansingh Stadium, Jaipur 

22 April 2008 
Deccan Chargers vs Delhi DareDevils
Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Hyderabad 

23 April 2008 
Chennai Super Kings vs Mumbai Indians
M. A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai 

24 April 2008 
Deccan Chargers vs Rajasthan Royals
Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Hyderabad 

25 April 2008 
Kings XI Punjab vs Mumbai Indians

26 April 2008 
Bangalore Royal Challengers vs Rajasthan Royals

26 April 2008 
Chennai Super Kings vs Kolkata Knight Riders
M. A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai 

27 April 2008 
Mumbai Indians vs Deccan Chargers
DY Patil Stadium, Mumbai 

27 April 2008 
Kings XI Punjab vs Delhi DareDevils

28 April 2008 
Bangalore Royal Challengers vs Chennai Super Kings

And more... 44 Days of excitment begins today!

GO DELHI DAREDEVILS!

Edited by Crazysah

I don't knwo if any channels show this in the UK, the first match is today so i should be able to check when i get home. I've even set up a fantasy team on cricinfo.

Brendon Mcullum! What a freakin innings! One of the best innings I have ever seen! 158 runs of 73 balls!

kolkata Knight Riders ended with 222 for 3 in 20 overs!

Bangalore on the other hand are 49 for 7! YIKES! What a bad run chase. I expected more.

aww, wished south african team could play, man the indian team is kicking ass recently :)

Just so that you know, these teams are made up from players all over the world! Two South Africans are in the Bangalore Royal Challengers side! You are obviously not really a cricket man by the looks of it!!! You can follow what's going on at the Cricinfo site.

@ Crazysah: Yes, what a brilliant knock by Brendon, 10 x 4 and 13 x6 (73 Balls) and a strike rate of 216.43!!

Brendon Mcullum! What a freakin innings! One of the best innings I have ever seen! 158 runs of 73 balls!

kolkata Knight Riders ended with 222 for 3 in 20 overs!

Bangalore on the other hand are 49 for 7! YIKES! What a bad run chase. I expected more.

i know. Bangalore was crappy in their chase. i expected a much closer finish

I will be going for tonights match! It is Delhi Daredevils vs Rajasthan Royals! It is gonna be amazing!

The first match today is at 5:00PM Local TIme... it is between KingsXIPunjab vs Chennai Super Kings...

How many of you guys are actualyl going to be following the IPL closely? (Just so I know who to get into a heated discussion with!) And which team do you guys support?

18 April 2008

Bangalore Royal Challengers vs Kolkata Knight Riders

RESULT; KKR - 222/3 (20.0 ovrs) and BRC - 82/10 (15.1 ovrs)

Brendon Mcullum (KKR) - 158 runs of 73 balls!

Agarkar (KKR) - 3 for 25 in 4 ovrs.

one thing i will say.... considering how much money they put into this and since its going world wide did they ever consider gettin better commentators......honeslty...

and from last nights match bangalore had more of a test team....unlucky they had no steyn and why they picked noffke i have no idea..... and go mccullum wow....and consider this they had no gayle either...lol

crasyah yeh i will b following it ...since its on free to air tv here......

gotta say kkr is where the money is at.... :p

ps: ill look at the player lists and pick my team :D

So... Chennai Super Kings scored 240 with Mike Hussey scoring 116 of 53 balls! Kings XI Punjab replied with 207/4 in 20 overs and lost by 33 runs.

I went for the Delhi DareDevils match and it was a bit one-sided. Rajasthan Royals finished with 129/8 in 20 overs and we got to 131/1 in 15.1 overs! Some good bowling and good fielding work done by the Delhi DareDevil players!

Nice effort by Mr. Cricket the other day. Good work Hussey!

Does anyone know a decent website where we can watch cricket online? I know there is a site which has "live animation" but i would prefer the real thing.....

unfortunately i can't hog the computer from my flatmates all day watching the cricket, so sometimes i'm going to need to watch it online.

Thanks for the help

Maybe you could try Sopcast or www.iplt20.com when the match starts...

Tonight is Hyderabad Deccan Chargers vs Delhi Daredevils...

I expect it to be a close match but Delhi DareDevils will win!

Go Delhi DareDevils!

IPL's getting more interesting with the DC and MI opening their accounts and the Tasmans packing their bags, there might be a shift in power equations :)

Only wish RC would pick up their pace. The only thing that's good about them are the cheerleaders ;)