Remove explorer bar

Probably, but not without a lot of messing around in Registry Editor. You can't do it via the GUI, for example.

I'm almost certain its possible, just not sure exactly how to do it. Pretty sure it involves edditing the mui text file in the visualstyle.

By modding the shellstyle, you can hide it.

Yeah, thats the one. Any idea how to remove it, not hide it? I dont want it popping up when i mouseover it.

You mean the Command Bar? Why would you want to get rid of that?

I guess he feels it takes up too much space and all its functionality can be accomplished with keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks - this is great, although there's one annoyance I have from it. In an open/save dialog box the folderband doesn't slowly fall down; instead it just appears with no delay and it's annoying when you move your cursor up to the directory bar... and it can also screw up and keeps flashing for a few seconds.

Shellstyle.dll\UIFILE\1.txt

search: <style resid="FolderBandStyle">

In the next line you write: <Element padding="rect(0rp,0rp,0rp,-32rp)"/>

Save and replace the 1.txt

So then is the folderband always out.

How this works?

Can someone upload the modded shellstyle.dll for vista sp1?

Its called the folderband, we'd like to get rid of it cause its useless.

Actually, it's called the Command Bar. I think I'd know :)

Any hack to remove it is unsupported and may cause you problems down the road. I'm surprised that anyone would want to get rid of it, since that's where the view controls are. Are you turning on the classic menus instead? I guess I'd like to know the impetus for wanting to get rid of it, since we could always consider making that an option.

Actually, it's called the Command Bar. I think I'd know :)

Any hack to remove it is unsupported and may cause you problems down the road. I'm surprised that anyone would want to get rid of it, since that's where the view controls are. Are you turning on the classic menus instead? I guess I'd like to know the impetus for wanting to get rid of it, since we could always consider making that an option.

Since classic mode is designed to replicate the Explorer windows of the 95/98 days, yes, I think an option to remove the Command Bar would be welcome. Maybe introduce it into SP2 or something?

Yes, It works!!! :D :D :D

I used reshacker to patch the shellstyle.dll, in case anyone interested here is the shellstyle for vista sp1 english just replace and reboot LINK

90348815tb7.jpg

Okay this got me thinking...could someone apply this and then change their style to windows classic and then take a screenshot? im kind of curious to see if windows classic appearance is improved at all with this modification. And whoever takes the screenshot could you take one with the file menu visible and one with the file menu not visible? Thanks in advance. :)

I think we may be on to something ;)

Unfortunately its still there in classic and standard.

well you think you can try to come up with a mod to remove it in classic/standard? i think that would improve the look of classic a lot if that could be possible

well you think you can try to come up with a mod to remove it in classic/standard? i think that would improve the look of classic a lot if that could be possible

You could ask psycob, he might have a solution.