Mac at its Core

I mentioned this in another topic, but wanted to throw it out there and see what everyone else thinks. (Mac fanboys, you'll love this!)...We all know that Apple's core is UNIX. This brings me to an interesting question. What has Apple done other than create a nice GUI? They really didn't write an entire OS, they built on top of UNIX. What else have they done on top of building a brilliant GUI? ...even at that, their GUI is easily replicated in Linux by means of various open source software. So watsup? What all have they really done?

Post Disclaimer: I am not trying to prove the superiority of any other operating system(s). I am simply asking a question. My stand on OS's is neutral here. I have come to appreciate, and use, most of the mainstream OS's right now. Point is: don't go there.

I personally don't use Mac but i know for a fact they have done more than an awesome GUI, they have developed a lot of other cool features too. :D

I wanna get my hands on one some time soon :)

I personally don't use Mac but i know for a fact they have done more than an awesome GUI, they have developed a lot of other cool features too. :D

I wanna get my hands on one some time soon :)

Me too, but college = money vacuum.

System 1-9 were Apple's own creation.

System 10 is really quite a hybrid of an operating system. The user interface and APIs are entirely in-house, created by Apple exclusively for use on System 10. The underlying kernel is Darwin, which itself is based on various open-source technologies, most notably BSD Unix. But much of the other code comes from NeXTstep, which was created by Steve Jobs in the late 80s.

So, to summarize, System 10 is essentially a Unix operating system with an open-source kernel, closed-source APIs and a customized user interface.

System 1-9 were Apple's own creation.

System 10 is really quite a hybrid of an operating system. The user interface and APIs are entirely in-house, created by Apple exclusively for use on System 10. The underlying kernel is Darwin, which itself is based on various open-source technologies, most notably BSD Unix. But much of the other code comes from NeXTstep, which was created by Steve Jobs in the late 80s.

So, to summarize, System 10 is essentially a Unix operating system with an open-source kernel, closed-source APIs and a customized user interface.

Good points. I've noticed that, unlike windows, they don't have the whole "Program Files" BS. Rather, they have one file executable files(...I think its something like that...)...When you refer to "System #" what exactly are you referring to? (I'm not fluent in MacSpeak. Only in nerd, geek, and Windows ;) )

It has a lot, but for the real documentation, go direct.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/M..._section_1.html

Or the PDF in one: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/M...gy_Overview.pdf

Mac OS X Technology Overview is an essential guide for anyone looking to develop software for Mac OS X. It provides an overview of the technologies and tools that have an impact on the development process and provides links to relevant documents and other sources of information. You should use this document to do the following:

Orient yourself to the Mac OS X platform.

Learn about Mac OS X software technologies, why you might want to use them, and when.

Learn about the development opportunities for the platform.

Get tips and guidelines on how to move to Mac OS X from other platforms.

Find key documents relating to the technologies you are interested in.

This document does not provide information about user-level system features or about features that have no impact on the software development process.

New developers should find this document useful for getting familiar with Mac OS X. Experienced developers can use it as a road map for exploring specific technologies and development techniques.

OS X Architecture in a nutshell:

osx_architecture.jpg

Good points. I've noticed that, unlike windows, they don't have the whole "Program Files" BS. Rather, they have one file executable files(...I think its something like that...)...When you refer to "System #" what exactly are you referring to? (I'm not fluent in MacSpeak. Only in nerd, geek, and Windows ;) )

Well, the "executables" are really more like directories that contain the application's resources and the executable binary. When the OS sees the .app extension on a directory name, it knows that the package can be launched (usually the binary resides in Contents/MacOS/). So I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're not really single files ;)

And like everyone has already said, it's more than just a GUI. In fact, I'd like to see the OS X GUI replicated in Linux as easily as you say... You might be able to make it look the same, but it's going to function much differently.

Well, the "executables" are really more like directories that contain the application's resources and the executable binary. When the OS sees the .app extension on a directory name, it knows that the package can be launched (usually the binary resides in Contents/MacOS/). So I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're not really single files ;)

And like everyone has already said, it's more than just a GUI. In fact, I'd like to see the OS X GUI replicated in Linux as easily as you say... You might be able to make it look the same, but it's going to function much differently.

If I had the computer power to replicate it, I would. It's fairly simple from what I've read. It's all a matter of building/installing packages...I like the look, the functionality is great, but if I could make Ubuntu look like that, I'd love it....Check this out: http://www.taimila.com/?q=node/11