Wal-Mart confirms $100 PS3 gift card -- YES, even the MGS 4 Bundle

mgs4boxwalmartmain.jpg

We have confirmed with Wal-Mart Corporate Communications that the company is currently offering a $100 gift card this week with the purchase of any Blu-ray player. This applies to all PS3s, including the Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle (pictured above) available tomorrow. This re-confirms the information and documentation one of our reliable sources gave us two weeks ago.

After we made sure to ask about the MGS4 bundle this morning, Melissa O'Brien, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, told us, "Any Blu-ray player. Blu-ray. All of them." She said that the deal is quite explicit in the Wal-Mart flyer for this week (an image of which we've placed after the break), and the deal is both online and in stores. We hope this clears up any confusion on the matter.

walmartblurayanymain.jpg

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/11/wal-mart...d-yes-even-mgs/

An 80GB PS3 with MGS4 and a DS3 for $299 or there abouts (effectively :p)! That's a good price :yes:

is there any details about which countries this will apply to?

Is there Wal-Marts outside of America? :/

yeah isnt there quite a few countries with walmarts? anyway canada is what i'm wondering about regarding this $100 GC

Walmart owns Asda in the UK, but I think this is an exclusive to Walmart stores, not stores the Walmart brand owns.

I have no idea about Canada sorry.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/11/wal-mart...d-yes-even-mgs/

An 80GB PS3 with MGS4 and a DS3 for $299 or there abouts (effectively :p )! That's a good price :yes:

Look at the small text at the bottom of the ad. The $399 price is for a 40Gb regular PS3. The 80Gb MGS PS3 should be $499, which would make it $399 with the gift card. Still getting an 80Gb PS3 with MGS4 for 40Gb price, but just wanted to point it out.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a PS3 this afternoon. Of course I didn't do it at Walmart, the thought of any electronics purchases there makes me shiver in fear. Instead Best Buy matched the offer, and of course one of those warranties for the ever so unreliable consoles of today. Ended up being a bigger purchase than I planned, with the extra controllers, charger, games, bigger hard drive and what not.

Ah well, added a few movies to my collection that I didn't have at no extra cost, always a plus.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a PS3 this afternoon. Of course I didn't do it at Walmart, the thought of any electronics purchases there makes me shiver in fear. Instead Best Buy matched the offer, and of course one of those warranties for the ever so unreliable consoles of today. Ended up being a bigger purchase than I planned, with the extra controllers, charger, games, bigger hard drive and what not.

Ah well, added a few movies to my collection that I didn't have at no extra cost, always a plus.

How did you get BestBuy to match it? They don't match Gift Cards.

Look at the small text at the bottom of the ad. The $399 price is for a 40Gb regular PS3. The 80Gb MGS PS3 should be $499, which would make it $399 with the gift card. Still getting an 80Gb PS3 with MGS4 for 40Gb price, but just wanted to point it out.

Yes, you are right.

For $499 you get:

$100 gift card

80 gig PS3

DS3

MGS4

I'm looking forward to it Friday.

They most certainly match gift cards, especially when it comes to companies like Walmart. You just go up and ask them, and they match it. No smart business walks a sale out the door, especially over a gift card that pretty much guarantees them an additional revenue lift.

They most certainly match gift cards, especially when it comes to companies like Walmart. You just go up and ask them, and they match it. No smart business walks a sale out the door, especially over a gift card that pretty much guarantees them an additional revenue lift.

I called bestbuy and talked to Customer Service and they said they don't match Gift Cards. :( Did you get your PS3 at Best Buy at $400 or did you pay $500 and get a $500 gift card?

That's your first problem, talking to customer service reps. They are (like most of the best buy employees) dumb as bricks. Talk to a manager/floor lead or whatever they are called these days, in person.

I gave my friend a ring who works in their district staff, and they are currently matching Walmarts offer (per corporate instructions) to match the offer *if* the nearby store has them in stock. I think that was posted elsewhere in the forums, as well as a bunch of other websites. I guess it also helps things if you are considered a higher tiered / more profitable customer too. They tend to bend over backwards for me and others who fall in those categories.

That's your first problem, talking to customer service reps. They are (like most of the best buy employees) dumb as bricks. Talk to a manager/floor lead or whatever they are called these days, in person.

I gave my friend a ring who works in their district staff, and they are currently matching Walmarts offer (per corporate instructions) to match the offer *if* the nearby store has them in stock. I think that was posted elsewhere in the forums, as well as a bunch of other websites. I guess it also helps things if you are considered a higher tiered / more profitable customer too. They tend to bend over backwards for me and others who fall in those categories.

I guess I will go down there tomorrow. Did you get a $100 gift card or just $100 off of the PS3?

I guess I will go down there tomorrow. Did you get a $100 gift card or just $100 off of the PS3?

you get the PS3 at the regular price + a $100 gift card.

Is this the regular 40GB bundle or the gunmetal one?

Its for either the regular 40GB model or the MGS4 80 GB bundle. The 40 GB Gun Metal PS3 is only available through Konami's website http://www.konami.com/Konami/ctl3810/cp201...station3_bundle :)

So, say you buy a blu-ray player, get the $100 gift card, then return the blu-ray player. Do you also have to return the gift card too? If not, if you have more than 1 walmart, hit up all but 1, buy blu-ray players, return them, get the cards, then go to the last one you haven't been to, and buy a ps3 with the gift cards you now have. Nearly free PS3 if this will actually work lol.

So, say you buy a blu-ray player, get the $100 gift card, then return the blu-ray player. Do you also have to return the gift card too? If not, if you have more than 1 walmart, hit up all but 1, buy blu-ray players, return them, get the cards, then go to the last one you haven't been to, and buy a ps3 with the gift cards you now have. Nearly free PS3 if this will actually work lol.

LOL No. That will not work.

Yes, you are right.

For $499 you get:

$100 gift card

80 gig PS3

DS3

MGS4

I'm looking forward to it Friday.

What is a DS3? Does this version of the PS3 have backwards compatibility?

Dual Shock 3 Controller. The controller that has rumble in it like it always should have had anyway.

DS3 means DualShock 3 and yes the 80GB PS3 has backwards compatibility :D