Resolution questions for a new TV

I'm looking for a new TV for college. Initially I was looking for a 1080P TV but that is just going to be out of my price range. Since I will be looking at 32 inch 720P TVs I know they have a funky resolution of 1368x768 or something like that.

Is there any difference in quality between that and 1280x1024 if I were to run my monitor through it? Is it just up to personal preference?

I'm looking for a new TV for college. Initially I was looking for a 1080P TV but that is just going to be out of my price range. Since I will be looking at 32 inch 720P TVs I know they have a funky resolution of 1368x768 or something like that.

Is there any difference in quality between that and 1280x1024 if I were to run my monitor through it? Is it just up to personal preference?

not really so much quality.

though if you're close. since it's a wide screen res it has more horixontal space, but also less vertical space than 1280x1024.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1280x1024 is the resolution for 4:3 LCD. HDTV is 16:9 (or 16:10) and would be better on a widescreen LCD.

Using a 4:3 monitor to watch HD content, you will have black bars on top and bottom of your screen.

Proper resolution would be 1280x800 (found on small LCD Laptop), 1440x900 (19" LCD), 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 (on 24"+ LCD). Those are all 16:10 widescreen resolution.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1280x1024 is the resolution for 4:3 LCD. HDTV is 16:9 (or 16:10) and would be better on a widescreen LCD.

Using a 4:3 monitor to watch HD content, you will have black bars on top and bottom of your screen.

Proper resolution would be 1280x800 (found on small LCD Laptop), 1440x900 (19" LCD), 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 (on 24"+ LCD). Those are all 16:10 widescreen resolution.

psst, he's buying a TV not a monitor :p

I suspect he just wanted to know if there'd be a huge quality difference form the 4:3 res on his currect monitor and the 16:9 on the TV he's buying. But it's all a matter of perspective, or rather distance from screen, since if you sit as close to a 32 inch tv as your monitor, yeah, that rs will be ... not nice... but at regular viewing distance for a 32 inch, it'll probably be better than the moinitor at the nromal monitor viewing distance.... sort of..

psst, he's buying a TV not a monitor :p

I suspect he just wanted to know if there'd be a huge quality difference form the 4:3 res on his currect monitor and the 16:9 on the TV he's buying. But it's all a matter of perspective, or rather distance from screen, since if you sit as close to a 32 inch tv as your monitor, yeah, that rs will be ... not nice... but at regular viewing distance for a 32 inch, it'll probably be better than the moinitor at the nromal monitor viewing distance.... sort of..

I guess I just wanted some basic differences coming from that kind of a monitor to this kind of a TV. Here are the three models I am looking at.

LG

Samsung

Sony

Trying to decide between those 3.

Better Samsung that I found through the AVS forums and it seems to be getting great reviews.

Any Sony to directly compare to that Samsung?

keep in mind this TV is for sale through amazon @ $707... I just recently purchased a samsung from amazon and easily saved a couple of hundred dollars....

keep in mind this TV is for sale through amazon @ $707... I just recently purchased a samsung from amazon and easily saved a couple of hundred dollars....

I'm all for purchasing a TV online, but since my parents are paying for half of it, it's not going to happen.

I just can't believe I'm probably going to have to pass up $150.

What about the TV though, would you recommend it?

I'm all for purchasing a TV online, but since my parents are paying for half of it, it's not going to happen.

I just can't believe I'm probably going to have to pass up $150.

What about the TV though, would you recommend it?

Well.. at least run it by them.... most parents dont want to pass up $150 either....

as for the tv... I def would recommend... as would these 40 people who posted their review on Amazon.

Reviews

36 out of 40 gave it a 5 star, 4 gave it a 4 star.

I have had my LN52a650 for a little over 2 weeks and I could not be happier with it.... Samsung has really stepped it up a notch with their LCDs (compared to their earlier DLPs). post back when you get it... !

EDIT - just saw this....

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32A550-32-...4989&sr=1-1

its the next series up.. the 550... for just $40 more you get the true 1080p resolution... doesnt really effect that much on a 32" tv.. but.. like i said.. $40 difference and you get a little better on the specs..

* 1080p Resolution

* 15,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio w/ Wide Color Enhancer

* 5ms response time

* 3 HDMI, 2 Component, and 1 PC inputs

* Swivel Stand

also.. looks like its being sold by 6th Ave and not amazon.. so... you may have a 6th ave store in your area... hope this helps...

Edited by jerzdawg

It looks like the only 6th Avenue stores are in New Jersey or New York, so a bit out of luck there.

I really wanted a 1080p as well and that tv looks awesome, I just have to convince the parents somehow. We should be buying sometime this week, so I will continue to post back here on whether or not I will be able to buy online.