Microsoft confirms new Zunes, Zune 3.0 coming September 16

9-08-08newzunes.jpg

So much for that ta-da moment tomorrow -- Microsoft just confirmed the fall Zune lineup a little earlier than planned, and it's almost exactly as leaked: capacity bumps to 120GB and 16GB, new WiFi music store, Zune 3.0 software with recommendations and pre-programmed theme channels, and two new games, Hexic and Texas Hold 'Em. Oh, and that snappy blue flash Zune we just spotted. Pricing is similarly unsurprising, seeing as we've had it for a week: the 120GB Zune is $250, while the 16GB flash model is $199 and the 8 gigger is $149. Oh well, at least we still have those new mice and webcams to look forward to tomorrow, right? Certainly nothing else is going on.

Update: The official PR is out, looks like Zune owners can look forward to the Zune 3.0 software update on September 16. Oh, and there's new Audible support as well. Rock on, rockers.

Source: Engadget

Brilliant! I'm hoping that they've got rid of that stupid Love/Hate rating system.

EDIT: Got pictures of the new Zunes!

zune_v3_0009.jpg

Announced last week, the new line of refreshed Zune players arrived at Giz HQ today for our consumption. I really like the glossy black front, and anodized black metal back, which gives it a svelte, elegant look. One thing to note about the Zune 120 is that, unlike the Zune 80, it does not come with the Zune premium headphones. So if you were trying to avoid a headphone purchase, you may want to consider that. Otherwise, it's the same Zune 2 design we've come to know and love. The software is still 2.5, but 3.0 will hit tomorrow, and we'll have our full verdict on that soon. For now, I give you pics of these newest Zune players.

Source: Gizmodo

56k WARNING!!! :D

medium_2859714691_cdcb7ddef5_o.jpg

medium_2859714767_c00c3b1362_o.jpg

medium_2859714803_fae01d646b_o.jpg

medium_2859715035_4f662891cb_o.jpg

medium_2859715077_b69944c4a9_o.jpg

medium_2859714857_83937bf59d_o.jpg

medium_2860541478_85c7ed5abd_o.jpg

medium_2860541326_962549465a_o.jpg

Edited by MightyJordan

I don't think they have them in the UK/EU yet. Or even when they will, which is a damn shame since I'd jump on one right away.

I don't think they have them in the UK/EU yet. Or even when they will, which is a damn shame since I'd jump on one right away.

One of the bigwigs at Microsoft France says that they'll reach Europe by Fall 2009.

So will the 120GB be the same size as the current 80GB model? And wtf is up with no headphones? The ones that came with the Zune 80GB were excellent (although I still replaced them, lol). But still, it is nice to have them just incase my Sennheiser ear buds break or whatever.

I still have 30GB free on my Zune 80GB, so I can't say i'm really itching for an upgrade. It would be nice if they could improve on the battery life. Especially during Video playback which is just adequate to watch a 2 hour movie if you have a full charge and haven't listened to any music on it yet. The iPod Touch puts it to shame in that department.