Create a Master Control Panel in Windows Vista

Here is a simple hack suggested by my MVP collegue that can enable you to place all the Tasks Control Panel and System Settings in one place!

Create a new folder on your Vista desktop.

Name the folder as :

Master Control.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

The icon will change !

Now open the folder and see the magic of Windows Registry!

55930077.jpg

You will see that the folder contains all the shortcuts to the Tasks Control Panel and System Settings.

Move the folder to the C drive, and create its shortcut there.

Cut paste this shortcut in folder C:\Users\Owner\Start Menu\Programs.

This will display the shortcut in the Start Menu for easy access.

If you find that this hack makes your explorer.exe unstable or makes it crash, I suggest you use the cmd to delete this folder.

Sourced from WinVistaClub.

Edit : This tweak is incompatible with any 64bit version of Windows Vista as is being noted in this thread. Thanks Anaron.

Edited by HappyAndyK

Ahhhh! It's making my explorer crash endlessly! :angry:

EDIT: The command doesn't work and restarting my PC doesn't help. My explorer is still crashing. I had to launch Firefox from my task manager. How do I fix this?

Edited by Anaron

Very Tight, indeed!

(For those of you who were born in the 60's, went through school and graduated in the 70's - the word "Tight" was similar to today's term "Fly")

Now, for the bonus question: Where did the term "Fly" originate / come from?

--ScottKin

To those that experience the recurring crashing issue with explorer:

rd "c:\users\%username%\desktop\Master Control.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"

Simply run that command in Command Prompt, where %username%=your username.

Thanks again SkyyPunk! The regular rd command didn't work for me because there was no desktop shortcut. It simply vanished after my explorer crashed for the first time.

And for the record, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1.

Thanks for the tip. Works on Ultimate x86 SP1.

Look at all those keywords. :laugh:

wth??? my explorer is constantly crashing and the only thing i can access is things already open and my task manager...what do i need to do to fix this...

edit: finally figured out a way to get the command prompt open....fixed now...

Edited by Am_I_Evil

wth??? my explorer is constantly crashing and the only thing i can access is things already open and my task manager...what do i need to do to fix this...

edit: finally figured out a way to get the command prompt open....fixed now...

I know how you felt because the same thing happened to me. There should be a warning to this so called "hack".

OK I really need help.

Vista x64 sp1

This f*cking so called tweak should have a warning!!!!

Please what do I need to do to remedy the crashing situation guys??

Cheers

Figured it -

If you find that this hack makes your explorer.exe unstable or makes it crash, I suggest you use the cmd to delete this folder, as follows:

Run cmd and copy paste this command and hit enter :

rd "Master Control.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"

Completely ignore my flapping :) I didn't see the other posts in this thread :)

Edited by funkymunky

(For those of you who were born in the 60's, went through school and graduated in the 70's - the word "Tight" was similar to today's term "Fly")

Now what about those of us who were born in the '80s and graduated in in the '90s/'2000s and don't know either term? ;)

Very Tight, indeed!

--ScottKin

Dude, today's term fly? Today? Fly is totaly retro, man. Fo'schizznits homey, word.

It's been established that this tweak is incompatible with any 64bit version of Windows Vista.

HappyAndyK: Please put a warning in your post. Thank you.

I apologize for the bold words (no pun intended). This is the only way I can grab attention.

It's been established that this tweak is incompatible with any 64bit version of Windows Vista.

HappyAndyK: Please put a warning in your post. Thank you.

I apologize for the bold words (no pun intended). This is the only way I can grab attention.

Guess I should read the entire topic before trying something like this.....mine did the same thing....without thinking of looking through the topic, I simply rebooted into my other vista install and deleted the folder from there........I tried safe mode first and it appeared to be working at first, but then it went into and endless crash without all the prompts.....in short, everything was flashing really quickly, so quickly I couldnt even access my task manager, thats when I booted into my other install and got rid of it.

• 1 month later...

If you still want access to it on Vista x64 you can create a shortcut and put the target as:

explorer.exe shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

It won't crash your desktop. It only crashes if you create a folder with the "Master Control.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" name.

• 1 year later...

This old Neowin tip is what is being refered to as the God Mode ;)

If it kills explorer.exe and you need a fix, run cmd and copy paste this command and hit enter:

rd ?Master Control.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}?

Details @ here.