Sony's "Home" to be released on Nov. 19th

SONY AND MICROSOFT are poised to do battle in virtual worlds.

The console kids both announced Second Life-style virtual environments at the Tokyo Game Show today. Both games show striking similarities to Linden Lab's creation

Players are represented by avatars which live a virtual life - engaging in relationships, going about day-to-day business. These can be personalised to look as similar (or different) to how the user looks in real life.

Sony's "Home" virtual world for the Playstation 3 will be released on November 19th, after its delay twice already. It will go up against Microsoft's Xbox 360 "New Xbox Experience".

Ryoji Akagawa of Sony said that around 24 game design companies would provide the content needed for Home - but didn't give much else away.

Game expert, Hirokazu Hamamura head of Japanese publisher Enterbrain told Associated Press, "You still can't tell what (Home)'s all about."

Microsoft's John Schappert said, "Our goal is to make the Xbox experience more visual, easier to use, more fun to use and more social...We focused a lot on friends and other experiences outside just playing games."

Let virtual battle commence.

Source: http://n4g.com/ps3/News-214100.aspx

Maaan, can't wait for the 19th.

Both consoles will be used heavily in the one month, big electricity bill incoming :p

Who didn't see this coming :p

edit: not renewing your sub AB?

I've been away since friday visting the GF in Dundee.

Just home today, didn't know it was running out.

I'll do it later tonight I think :)

Released as what, open beta? Or is it gonna be 1.0?

I think it's going to be 1.0.

But as Sethos said expect them to pull a google and call it beta.

glad to see that more people are finally gonna get to try it. it's been pretty barren and frankly quite boring the few times i've used it. the game spaces are a great idea though...the uncharted one is pretty cool with its hidden areas and such. hopefully the other companies making spaces can come up with something just as good, because imo these will be what draws people to home.

So BOTH 360's NXE and PS3's Home to be released same day, lol.

kind of expected that anouncement from sony

In what way is NXE even remotely similar to Second Life. Since I'm in Australia, those things won't be out until probably the 20th down here which suits me just fine as thats my birthday :D

Interesting bit about Home at TGS

With some information related to the Playstation Home beta for Japan, there was some interesting info in SCEJ?s press release.

You already know from us that the Japanese version of Home recently got 24 third party developers and publisher on board to make there own area?s and/or more.

Well it seems that there will be a large-scale closed beta test between late October and early November. This is to prepare for the Open Beta Service which release date will be announced on the official Home website.

The most important bit is that you?ll be able to obtain special items usable within Playstation Home depending on the level of your gameplay.

So does this mean that when you have played a game a lot and gathered enough trophies you will for example be able to walk around in a generals outfit (Warhawk related) or have a golden golfstick in your hands (Hot Shot Golf 5 related). We don?t know but it is getting more and more interesting in what Sony has planned for Home.

Despite the game being originally developed by SCEE it seem SCEJ has taken the foreground to announce most information and many of the features we can expect.

There was no word on Europe and North America getting a similar ?stress test?.

Source: http://talkplaystation.com/interesting-bit...ut-home-at-tgs/[/uSONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT JAPAN ANNOUNCES

OPEN BETA SERVICE FOR PLAYSTATION?HOMETwenty-Four Third Party Developers and Publishers Join PlayStation?Home in Japanme in Japan

Tokyo, October 9, 2008 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Japan (SCEJ), a division of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) responsible for business operations in Japan, announced today that it will start PlayStation?Home Open Beta Service within this calendar year. PlayStation Home is a 3D on-line user community service for PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?).

Through the closed beta test conducted since late August this year, the company has offered users to test different areas in PlayStation Home, to enjoy communication, and to try games and events such as Namco Museum BETA from Namco Bandai Games Inc., echochrome and Destroy All Heros www from SCE. While the company continues to update and elaborate features and service based on various feedback obtained through the closed beta test, it will start the final stage of a large-scale closed beta test between late October and early November, to prepare for the Open Beta Service*1.

In addition to the already available game titles, PlayStation Home will offer new and exciting experience in collaboration with titles from first party and third party developers and publishers, such as BIOHAZARD? 5 and STREET FIGHTER? IV from Capcom Co. Ltd., and SIREN: Blood Curse, Hot Shot Golf 5, TrashBOX, Mainichi Issho, dress, and Derby Time Online from SCE. Additionally, users? gaming experience will be further enhanced by communicating with other players in game lounges and experiencing ?Home Rewards? system, where users will be able to obtain special items usable within PlayStation Home, depending on the level of their game play.

In Japan, 24 third party developers and publishers* have decided to join the Japanese version of PlayStation Home. Further details will be announced on PlayStation Home Official Site (http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/home/) as they become available.

Taking the opportunity of showcasing PlayStation Home at Tokyo Game Show 2008 starting on October 9, the actual SCEJ booth in real-life will be replicated within the currently running closed beta. In this virtually replicated booth, users will be able to watch promotion videos of various game titles and obtain exclusive items only available in this virtual area.

Through PlayStation?Network, PlayStation Home will offer a new and fun ?playground? to all PS3 users.

*1 The announcement for Open Beta Service will be made through PlayStation Home Official Site.

http://www.jp.Third Party Partners Joining PlayStation?Home for Japan (as of Oct. 9, 2008)foCompany Name (in alphabetical order) Name (in alphabetical order)

ACQUIRE Corp.

ACTIVISION Ltd.

AQ INTERACTIVE INC.

ATLUS CO.,LTD.

Capcom Co., Ltd.

D3 PUBLISHER Inc.

ELECTRONIC ARTS K.K.

GAME REPUBLIC INC.

Genki Co.,Ltd.

GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc.

HUDSON SOFT CO.,LTD.

IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.

KOEI Co.,Ltd.

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.

NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE INC.

PAON CORPORATION

Q Entertainment Inc.

SEGA CORPORATION

SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION

Spike Co.,Ltd. 

TECMO,LTD.

UBI SOFT KK

Walt Disney Company (Japan) Ltd.

Source: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/081009ce.html

In what way is NXE even remotely similar to Second Life. Since I'm in Australia, those things won't be out until probably the 20th down here which suits me just fine as thats my birthday :D

Most likely, however, if it's a worldwide release we might (technically) get it a day before the Americans :p since we are a day a head and all that ;) (it has happened before). BUT I'd say they will more likely then not delay our release by one day so we get it at the same time as everyone else :p

EDIT: MS have confirmed NXE as the 19th Nov Worldwide. I can't get confirmation Home is releasing in Australia on the 19th, SCEE (who also are in charge of Australia) are saying the date isn't concrete. Anymore got a source that confirms Home release is worldwide?

Edited by Xerxes