New Sound Card Won't Work...

Hello [again] Neowin. Got another problem for you guys..

I just bought a new (rather cheap) PCI sound card, on the box it says "Diamond XTreme Sound 5.1/16 Bit Sound Card".

I plugged it into the PCI slot, disabled the onboard audio via BIOS, booted into windows & downloaded the Vista drivers off there website for it, installed them and rebooted as prompted.

Now whenever I boot, the device starts with a yellow ! next to it, and says:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

And the audio won't work. BTW, it shows up as "C-Media PCI Audio Device" in the Device Manager...

I tried different PCI slots (all 3 on my mobo were tried...)

Rig:

Windows Vista 32-bit

P4 1.8GHz; 1GB Ram

128MB ATI AGP Video Card [Also tried removing this card and booting, no avail [other than the most horrendous graphics I have EVER seen from a desktop computer...but we won't go there lol]

PCI Slot 1: Buffalo Wireless Card

PCI Slot 2: Rosewill RC-212

PCI Slot 3: The sound card

As I said, i've tried pretty much every combination of cards in each PCI slot, also tried it without the Wifi adapter.

Please re-read my post, as I stated: "I plugged it into the PCI slot, disabled the onboard audio via BIOS, booted into windows & downloaded the Vista drivers off there website for it, installed them and rebooted as prompted."

Oh, my bad.

Two devices have been assigned the same input/output (I/O) ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel. The assignment was made by either the basic input/output system (BIOS), the operating system, or a combination of the two.

Good thing to do is go into safe mode and check device manager there. If you discover that there are some devices that show up when you start into Safe mode but do not show up in normal mode, you probably have some ghost devices installed on your computer. These devices are previously installed components that were not deleted properly by the operating system. Attempt to delete these devices in Safe mode. If you are unable to delete these devices, you probably need to determine where these devices reside in the registry and delete them accordingly. Until these ghost devices are removed, they continue to hold onto Windows resources, and the card will not operate.

It's also possible it's conflicting with one of the COM ports or the parallel port (if you have any), you can disable these to see if they are.

Oh, forgot to mention that I tried the safe mode thing, and also disabled the COM & Serial ports also.

I'm thinking I should just return this card to the store and get a better quality card off newegg....

I'm thinking I should just return this card to the store and get a better quality card off newegg....

...and that would be the right answer.