Can't install Vista SP2 if you've used vLite

I've gotten my hands on Vista SP2 RTM finally, and was very excited to install it, and was given the following screen after I pressed "next" on the welcome screen:

screenshot596.jpg

The support link redirects you to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968279

Which tells you:

"This problem occurs because system components that are required to install Windows Vista SP2 are not present on your computer.

However, a common reason for this problem is that the vLite software was used to customize the Windows Vista installation and some required system components were removed."

The line that talked about vLite caught my eye - I used vLite to integrate SP1 in my Vista DVD, which has apparently crippled my ability to upgrade to SP2.

The article explains that the steps to resolve this are:

To resolve this problem, use genuine Microsoft software media to reinstall Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 and then install Windows Vista SP2.

They give only two options to resolve this:

Option 1: Perform an in-place upgrade to Windows Vista

-OR-

Option 2: Perform a clean reinstall of Windows Vista

It looks like they've disabled any vLite'd installs, so I'll probably have to go ahead and reinstall my OS, which, I don't really want to do, but haven't done in a while, I guess..but...

Has anyone figured out a way to get around this?

Edited to change tone of post (didn't want to sound like I was pointing the finger)

Edited by Owenw

Do a repair install with an unmodified version of Vista then update. Installing the OS improperly crippled your ability to update, not the service pack. :)

"A lot" of their customers have no idea what vLite is.

If you only used vLite to integrate the Sp1 remove the following key from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\vLite

BUT, DON'T delete the key if you removed parts of Vista with vLite! Sp2 will fail to install.

If you only used vLite to integrate the Sp1 remove the following key from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\vLite

BUT, DON'T delete the key if you removed parts of Vista with vLite! Sp2 will fail to install.

So if I say...removed UAC...then removing that key would be a bad idea?

Do a repair install with an unmodified version of Vista then update. Installing the OS improperly crippled your ability to update, not the service pack. :)

"A lot" of their customers have no idea what vLite is.

Also true. :) Thanks.

If you have removed system components using vLite you are screwed, the SP update doesn't (and lets face it, shouldn't) cater to those of us who have done so. GreyWolf has come up with your best solution if you are desperate to avoid a reinstall, but to be honest I'd just get on with it.

I'm going to have to do the same soon enough, so I do feel your pain, but I think it's one of those things you sign up for when experimenting.

Removing the UAC is the worst offender.

What else have you removed?

Just UAC, which I regretted relatively quickly too :(

If you have removed system components using vLite you are screwed, the SP update doesn't (and lets face it, shouldn't) cater to those of us who have done so. GreyWolf has come up with your best solution if you are desperate to avoid a reinstall, but to be honest I'd just get on with it.

I'm going to have to do the same soon enough, so I do feel your pain, but I think it's one of those things you sign up for when experimenting.

Hmmm, I guess I'm due for a reinstall.

Just curious, and not looking to start an argument...

Your tone seems to point the finger at Microsoft for not supporting people who have intentionally messed with their OS installation media.

How do you figure the logic of that?

Just UAC, which I regretted relatively quickly too :(

lol, next time just use vlite to disable it by default :)

Just curious, and not looking to start an argument...

Your tone seems to point the finger at Microsoft for not supporting people who have intentionally messed with their OS installation media.

How do you figure the logic of that?

You make a fair point. I wasn't intentionally making it sound that way, in fact I think I'll edit the post to change the tone.

I admit, they do not have to support people modifying their OS with a 3rd party tool, it just makes for all sorts of complications and nightmares, especially for support, as they probably have tens of millions of different configurations that this has to work on already.

This is exactly why I dont use the 3rd party stuff. It always comes back to bite you in the butt sometime later. I had issues with sysprep back when they had nlite. From that point forward I never touched 3rd party apps to configure an OS. Its just too risky.

You make a fair point. I wasn't intentionally making it sound that way, in fact I think I'll edit the post to change the tone.

I admit, they do not have to support people modifying their OS with a 3rd party tool, it just makes for all sorts of complications and nightmares, especially for support, as they probably have tens of millions of different configurations that this has to work on already.

Just wanted to say nice response, and glad that you took my comment as it was meant, and not as an attack :)

using vlite period will 'disable' any update to SP1 or SP2. You can only get a compete intergrated copy of Vista and then use vlite.

Exactly. SP2's issues with a v-lited Vista are no different than SP1. You needed to slipstream SP1 first into the Vista DVD before you could vlite it. Same logic would hold for SP2. Of course you would have to check the vlite forum for more info, I dont think vlites author Nuhi is working on it, other members are offering tips and workarounds on it though.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I have a question. I did indeed use vlite to slipstream sp1, but did not mess around with anything else (like removing components). I had issues installing sp2. First I tried to manually download and install from microsoft's website- that failed. Then, I removed the vlite entry in the registry. All of a sudden the service pack update showed up in the windows update section. I downloaded it but during installation it failed. Must I reinstall Vista?

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I have a question. I did indeed use vlite to slipstream sp1, but did not mess around with anything else (like removing components). I had issues installing sp2. First I tried to manually download and install from microsoft's website- that failed. Then, I removed the vlite entry in the registry. All of a sudden the service pack update showed up in the windows update section. I downloaded it but during installation it failed. Must I reinstall Vista?

Your two available options are given in the first post.

• 1 year later...