Win7 32bit or 64bit?

Hi my copy of Win 7 home premium (full) not upgrade arrived today, but not sure which version to install 32bit or 64bit,

my pc can run either, it has a AMD athlon x2 2.6, 4gb ram and a 9800gt, with Vista 32bit.

I use my pc for general use, bit of gaming, photo and video editing etc, Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Aj

Yeah. Just be aware that you'll need to do a full install (i.e. You'll lose all your documents and software) when you jump from 32-bit to 64-bit.

On a fairly new system with a fairly new accessories (or at least a printer that you know is supported) then I'd go 64bit without question.

64bit was painful under XP (when it first came out). It was mostly ready when Vista shipped but now I'd say that 64bit is mature and ready to go.

If you have a 64-bit CPU, install a 64-bit operating system. No question about it. Even if you just had 2 GB of RAM, it would be worth it. But of course if you have 4 GB.

So the consensus seems to be go with 64bit, on a side note win 7 64bit drivers a problem to find? or is it a case of using vista 64bit drivers for the time being?

Windows Vista drivers should work... allnewer hardware will be supported - the only thing I cant find drivers for on my setup is a cheap scanner that is over 10 years old which I used from time to time.

I'm stuck on 1gb ram (max supported is 2 on my mobo) so I'm gonna install 32-bit. I ran the 64-bit rtm but most 64-bit apps (itunes, LR I think) are simply emulated (or whatever it is) and not true 64-bit. 32-bit is fine for anyone with less than 3.5gb ram I feel (or rather, those who can't benefit due to mobo limitations)

I had to search far and wide for my W7 (Vista) 64-bit wifi driver - once connected everything else just came in through Windows Update etc.

Windows Vista drivers should work... allnewer hardware will be supported - the only thing I cant find drivers for on my setup is a cheap scanner that is over 10 years old which I used from time to time.

If you are prepared to live without that scanner then go ahead and take the 64bit plunge.

32 bit windows, like standard definition television, is dead. They should stop making 32 bit windows, and make people upgrade. It's been long enough. Vista will still work fine for 32 bit users... part of me prefers it to 7 actually due to the large clunky taskbar but oh well, change happens.

32 bit windows, like standard definition television, is dead. They should stop making 32 bit windows, and make people upgrade. It's been long enough.

I'm pretty sure Win 7 is the last version to have a 32 bit version.. agreed 64 bit is working great for me

On a fairly new system with a fairly new accessories (or at least a printer that you know is supported) then I'd go 64bit without question.

64bit was painful under XP (when it first came out). It was mostly ready when Vista shipped but now I'd say that 64bit is mature and ready to go.

Mostly true, though I still run into a couple incompatibilities here and there, especially for "regular" computer users (which means nobody on Neowin). Basically Apple took a smarter route than Microsoft by allowing 64-bit software to run on a translated 32-bit layer in OSX. This encourages the development of 64-bit code. Microsoft did the opposite. So now you've got the mess we're in where there's little encouragement to compile 64-bit software on the Windows platform since essentially no home computer users have a 64-bit OS even though many of them have 64-bit processors.

The ONLY thing that's going to get 64-bit Windows onto lots of computers is OEM computer sales of rigs with 4GB of memory or more, and then those computers trickling out into the world. The fact that the vast majority of computers in use right now have much less memory means that 64-bit computing on the Windows platform will not be commonplace for several years.

If you don't have to run 32bit, I haven't a clue why you would. Even if you don't have the RAM, there are still benefits... plus the future-proofing if/when you do upgrade.

That said, I have a hard time disagreeing with boogerjones' post. I'm actually curious how many OEMs are going to be pushing out 32bit Win7, even if the computers themselves can run 64bit, too.

That said, I have a hard time disagreeing with boogerjones' post. I'm actually curious how many OEMs are going to be pushing out 32bit Win7, even if the computers themselves can run 64bit, too.

There are netbooks too you know...

Hi my copy of Win 7 home premium (full) not upgrade arrived today, but not sure which version to install 32bit or 64bit,

my pc can run either, it has a AMD athlon x2 2.6, 4gb ram and a 9800gt, with Vista 32bit.

I use my pc for general use, bit of gaming, photo and video editing etc, Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Aj

Its year 2009, chose 64bit

32bit, until 64bit is more mainstream and has better compatibility i say 32bit.by 2015 or less 64bit will be more worthwhile.

I decided to go with the 32bit version for now, even though I'm "loosing" 1GB of the 4GB of RAM I have installed. Two reasons:

1. Ethernet drivers weren't working too well. Transfers on local networks were visibly slower and not very reliable. When playing music from a NAT and trying to copy a large file at the same time, music was stopping for the time of transfer.
  2. DVI video output seemed to be slightly more blurry than with the 32bit version. This may have been just my perception, as I couldn't easily compare two versions side by side, but felt quite strong.

I have a month-old ThinkPad R400 with Intel's graphics.

As for the additional RAM - running the 64bit system casually was eating up 500MB more RAM than 32bit, so I was effectively getting only 512MB more.

For anyone trying to choose right now I'd suggest checking out the 64bit version and testing it thoroughly before activating. If everything works, you may as well stick with it. If not, you'll have a way back to 32bit.

I guess the real question is Which version dd you buy the disk does not contain both if I remember correctly

most oem computers.. at least the ones in bestbuy etc come with 64 bit now.... of course if the oem has drivers for everything it should be alright