[Beta] Windows 7 Startbutton changer

This little tool I've been working on lets you change the Windows 7 Start button without patching explorer.

Basic way it operates is it hooks explorer's calls to BitBlt and if its drawing the start button it changes the image explorer draws.

It's not 100% bug-tested, I'm sure there will be be bugs, and for now it requires a bit of 'manual work' to install (not making an installer until its more bug-tested since I need to add a UI). If your willing to test it for me or want to try it then download below. Please report any problems you have.

Make sure to do what the instructions file says or it will not work.

Download

ap-graphik has made some nice replacement start buttons, so if you need a start button to try this with these are perfect. You'll want to grab the 6801.bmp image (and then follow the instructions included with the download of the program)

A replacement startbutton image you can try

Another replacement you can try

Makes use of Win32APIOverride by Jacquelin Potier

Screenshot of it in action:

post-248102-1259120152_thumb.png

That's one messy desktop you got there

:huh:

They're actually in categorized sections.

Installed software top left

Ongoing projects bottom left

Misc utilities bottom right

A few misc files/programs that are used a lot top right

• 2 months later...

Will this work on x64?

Unfortunately the tools that support the hook my dll uses to do this don't work on x64 :pinch:

If I find another way to hook the draw function that supports x64 I'll implement it.

Unfortunately the tools that support the hook my dll uses to do this don't work on x64 :pinch:

If I find another way to hook the draw function that supports x64 I'll implement it.

Having made the transition to x64, I hope you find a way soon.