firefox 3.5.5.

I tend to agree with those who say it is the fault of the extension an individual chooses to use and the sites they choose to visit. In that thought I conducted a test of my own on FF memory usage.

Test sites (61 simultaneous tabs): 20 tabs of CNN news stories (some with video), 20 MSNBC news stories (some with video), 20 Deviant Art member profile pages, and last (but never least) the Neowin home page.

Test conducted under 64 bit versions of Kubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7 using the same FF profile and the same extensions.

Test duration 30 minutes after all pages had been viewed.

FF 3.5.5/Kubuntu 9.10: 579.7 MB or an average of 9.5 MB per tab.

post-44198-1259427054_thumb.jpg

FF 3.5.5/Windows 7: 338.488 MB or an average of 5.5 MB per tab.

post-44198-1259427121_thumb.jpg

Based on my results I see no memory problem in FF 3.5.5. If anything it might show a weakness between memory management on different OS platforms, but even at 579.7 MB I do not think that is unreasonable for that many tabs.

Are you kidding me? Extensions are the ONLY reason why anyone would consider using Firefox. Even IE8 whups a vanilla extensions-less Firefox install.

So yeah, if a feature sanctioned and heavily advertised by Mozilla causes this much problems with the product, end users are entitled to complain. TBH, though, I wish people would take you seriously. Then they might consider moving off this crap browser and migrating to better products.

You need to understand that not ALL extensions cause problems. I have 50+ extensions installed right now, and even though I regularly have many tabs open, my memory usage maxes out ~300MB. The advice that was given previously was to not blame Mozilla for memory issues when there are extensions installed. If after disabling the extensions, the memory leak persists, then by all means blame Mozilla. However, if there are memory problems only when extensions are installed, track down which one(s) causes the leak, and complain to the developer. In fact, in all recent benchmarks that I've found, Firefox is the best when it comes to memory consumption. So, if you're having problems, figure out which poorly-coded extension is causing them.

A couple more things:

For starters, you seem to believe that the fact Firefox is featureless without extensions is a bad thing. You need to understand that for many of us, this is the sole reason to use Firefox. It's a browser capable of doing everything you want, and nothing that you don't want. Unlike some alternatives (eg. Opera), the core program is not full of features [email, torrents, widgets (WTF? really?)] that I don't want to use. A minimal core with powerful extensibility is the best part of Firefox.

Next, "migrating to better products"? Please. Like what? I mean, Chrome's cute and all, but it doesn't have a fraction of the features that many power users desire. I've already stated a big problem with Opera. All that's really left are Safari and IE. Safari has about as many features as Chrome, and IE's just a joke. What do you consider a "better product"?

I like Google Chrome... and I like Firefox. I switch between the two all the time honestly. I love Firefox and it's customization capabilities, but the Dev builds of Google Chrome are catching up with them, and it certainly handles memory better than Firefox.

But the bigger question is why isn't everyone running Firefox Ultimate Optimizer alongside Firefox, it keeps my Firefox memory consumption to ~3,000 kb, and that program uses only ~500-1000 kb. So yeah, get that instead of worrying about Firefox sucking up Memory :)

@XpFanatic - did you even read the comments on that page? Supposedly that program just make Firefox use the page file (vm) instead of RAM so it looks like it using less memory.

• 1 month later...