Would you upgrade to a 3D HDTV this year?

Not sure how much these babies cost, but hell I am very conflicted about this.

On one hand, I think it's VERY COOL and would LOVE to get it, but on the other hand, I would love to use my current HDTV until it dies (Hopefully not for another 5+ years) and get my money's worth!

Or I could sell it on Craigslist. Lord knows what I am gonna do.

How about you?

I'll wait until my current HDTV blows before I move to 3DTV. The effect is good in a movie theater because the screen is so large, you're IN the movie. But at home, unless you buy the biggest screen possible (and even that), you're never going to have the same effect. Having a tinny hammer thrown at me while watching My Bloody Valentine 3D at home will have much less impact... The feeling works well when it's life size.

And my eyes can only stand so much of 3D. My head start to hurt after max 2 hours. So, is it worth it for me? I don't think so.

Watching 3D movie is something cool that I do once in a while in a theater. But for home, I think it's a gimmick. Content will be available on Blu-Ray and I'm not sure but is it Direct TV that is planning on having 1 channel of 3D content when their new SAT is in the air....? I don't know, again, not enough content make 3D a no-go for a couple of years....

Edited by TruckWEB

Who will provide the 3d content? If there will be 3d broadcasts maybe it's worth it, but if it's only going to be on bluray or something like that, I guess going to a theater once in a while would be better.

what's a 3d hdtv ? never heard of it, do you need glasses to use it, how does it work ?

I'm assuming it will require >= 120Hz refresh rate and shutter glasses, unless they're planning on putting two display panes back-to-back and using polarized glasses like the iZ3D monitors.

I am NOT planning on buying yet another TV, so they'd better find a way to do it with current tech. :)

i would consider this before buying.

-where am i going to get the 3d content.

-new technology costs too much.

-new technology has bugs, the next models will fix the bugs and be cheaper.

-i have a 57" right now, is the cost to get a 57" 3d tv worth it, because i would consider anything smaller a downgrade.

-3d was neat for the first 15 minutes i saw it. after that it wasn't that special.

personally, i think i will wait until i need a new tv. if 3d is an option on it, then cool. otherwise i dont really care.

So, when does it stop being a "gimmick"? When more and more films are being released on it? When hardware manufacturers are all starting to support it? When television starts running programming for it? Ah that's right. All of that is happening now.

Who knows how well it will do. It isn't going to have any impact if you don't use it. I see it as an alternative, not a gimmick.

I would hold off for this year as most are going to be first generation. 3D TV is not a gimmick, this is going to take off in a big way. Disney, ESPN, The Discovery Channel, Direct TV, and many other players are already on board. What the industry needs to do is focus on 3D without having to wear glasses. There are two vendors at CES who are showing these prototypes panels off.

Definitely not.

I have seen them first hand at CES this year, and they are "all the rage" here for the big companies.

Here is the problem with 3DTV's..

- you need glasses to watch it (something i dont want to wear while watching tv, games or movies

- You need a compatible device to play 3D, such as a 3D blu-ray player.

- the picture doesn't look good at all angles

- You will need to buy more glasses if you have company coming over

- some glasses require you to charge them.

Absolutely no intention of watching a 3DTV.

HD isn't even fully fleshed out yet - for broadcasters at least.

Not this year and likely not for several years.

I'll upgrade when we get autostereoscopic displays -- i.e. ones that don't require the viewers to be wearing special glasses.

Absolutely no intention of watching a 3DTV.

HD isn't even fully fleshed out yet - for broadcasters at least.

DirectTV is introducing 2 channels by June 2010, and have another 6+ networks lined-up to bring content.

There is also a Toshiba TV that can turn regular 2D TV into 3D.. I will have to investigate more on this.

Actually, it is right here, called Cell TV

https://www.neowin.net/news/live/10/01/06/t...nounces-cell-tv

No. Not till they do away with the glasses.

Anyway, I am skeptical of how having a window of 3D content on an entire 2D wall will lead to a good 3D experience. That would still be kind of tunnel vision, negating the point of 3D in the first place.

I'll wait for Sony to make a 3D LED 72" TV. Now that's the dream!

With time they can build the glasses right into the frame of the tv.

So, when does it stop being a "gimmick"? When more and more films are being released on it? When hardware manufacturers are all starting to support it? When television starts running programming for it? Ah that's right. All of that is happening now.

It's going to stop being a gimmick when we will have GOOD 3D without the use of glasses. When watching something in 3D becomes more natural.

And again, it's NEVER going to be immersive like in a theater, the screen is just too small, even at 65-72", object size are not life like, so the effect will be less.

God no! Just a gimmick that will pass imo.

3D TV/Cinema smacks of a case of, let's do this for the sake of it because the technology allows, not because it will actually enhance the experience!