Zorin Is a Linux OS That Looks and Behaves Like Windows 7 (BAH!)

Seriously? It looks like every other Gnome based Linux distro...

That's what it pretty much is, almost as if Windows XP got hammered and puked across a blank development kit.

Don't get me started on this one.

Unfortunately this is another example of

"Hey, why not bring a good GUI concept to this system?"

-"Yeah!"

"Don't get too concerned about details and removing redundancies, okay? This is still GNOME/KDE/<insert>"

What a BAD copy.

Don't get me wrong. Copies can be AWESOME - when done RIGHT.

This is so badly copied it leaves every Win 7 GUI fan crying.

I'd much rather take something completely different than a bad copy.

If you want a good "copy" of a major OS GUI (not Win 7 in this case though) take elementary OS for an example! (Y)

Glassed Silver:mac

True that.... ^^

And thanks for the reminder on elemantary OS... Haven't checked on that one in a while and I have a laptop ready to be cleaned out.

• Like 1

True that.... ^^

And thanks for the reminder on elemantary OS... Haven't checked on that one in a while and I have a laptop ready to be cleaned out.

The next masterpiece from the Elementary team is due some time around Ubuntu's 12.04 release. It shall be called 'Luna'. I can't wait.

....and yes, this Zorro OS is truly horrendous. It looks about the same as Windows 7 as Amiga OS does.

• Like 1

That's definitely KDE in the screenshot.

Its actually highly customized gnome 2/compiz afiak. I've seen some screenshots/videos of it and havent seen a single kde app. All gnome stuff, and it has the ubuntu gnome indicator menus too.

The next masterpiece from the Elementary team is due some time around Ubuntu's 12.04 release. It shall be called 'Luna'. I can't wait.

....and yes, this Zorro OS is truly horrendous. It looks about the same as Windows 7 as Amiga OS does.

Yeah, luna does look interesting. So far I'm not the hugest fan of their dock (plank. Docky was better, don't know why they decided to totally start from scratch). Slingshot and the panel look good though. Slingshot looks like what the unity dash should have been.

Speaking of Elementary... they just uploaded wingpanel to their luna ppa for testing. It's steadily advancing towards Linux's future.

Distros like Zorin are the reason why I think Linux should have a couple of official widely supported distros in order to avoid bad press.

Red Hat for servers, Arch for advanced, Ubuntu for begginers and Elementary as the future replacement for Ubuntu.

• Like 2

Speaking of Elementary... they just uploaded wingpanel to their luna ppa for testing. It's steadily advancing towards Linux's future.

Distros like Zorin are the reason why I think Linux should have a couple of official widely supported distros in order to avoid bad press.

Red Hat for servers, Arch for advanced, Ubuntu for begginers and Elementary as the future replacement for Ubuntu.

Well, doesn't linux already have a couple if widely supported distros? Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS, OpenSUSE/SLED. Linux itself is just the kernel, I don't see how it would officially support any of them.

Sometimes smaller distros like mint get some attention, but the big dogs are what is well supported and usually recommended to new users.

Well, doesn't linux already have a couple if widely supported distros? Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS, OpenSUSE/SLED. Linux itself is just the kernel, I don't see how it would officially support any of them.

Sometimes smaller distros like mint get some attention, but the big dogs are what is well supported and usually recommended to new users.

Yes, but I'm talking about a new working model. Big distros working and collaborating with each other, motivating users to use and test the official distros instead of making yet another one, creating a Linux/GNU foundating for the official distros. In a nutshell, making a collabrative effort. The big distros are what they are because individual and independent effort, but the distro panorama it's fragmented and irregular, that make Linux (Not the kernel, but Linux as the public perception) appear just as a hobby OS.

The problem is, the big distros pop up when a group gets together and says, "hey, we can make an OS that's way different/better than those jerks/idiots working on last big distro!", and the little distros pop up when a group gets together and says, "we're not quite big enough to release our own distro, but we can make the software update system / installation procedure /window borders way better than those jerks/idiots working on current popular big distro!"

Except for Red Hat, who said, "hey, we did such a great job that jerks/idiots will pay for this!"

I'd like to believe that, in my lifetime, Linux will agree on one install package / system. It would be a good start.

The problem is, the big distros pop up when a group gets together and says, "hey, we can make an OS that's way different/better than those jerks/idiots working on last big distro!", and the little distros pop up when a group gets together and says, "we're not quite big enough to release our own distro, but we can make the software update system / installation procedure /window borders way better than those jerks/idiots working on current popular big distro!"

Except for Red Hat, who said, "hey, we did such a great job that jerks/idiots will pay for this!"

I'd like to believe that, in my lifetime, Linux will agree on one install package / system. It would be a good start.

This x1000.

Some of these distros would make a much larger impact if they brought in some of the smaller groups. They would end up with a much more polished system and probably finally get to the point where they could rival Windows/OSX.

About 3-4 years ago I had one of the Linux distros (I don't even remember which now...) as my main OS. I stuck with it for a year. Main reason for switching back was gaming. Everything else worked fantastic.

What an ugly, clunky, cluttered piece of ****. Looks like someone went back in time and plucked it out of the 90s. I feel sorry for the suckers (all 3 of them) who actually gave this a serious try.

• Like 1

Didn't they try that with Lindows? That sucked too.

Why not try and do something innovative and unique instead of just trying to copy Windows?

Didn't they try that with Lindows? That sucked too.

Why not try and do something innovative and unique instead of just trying to copy Windows?

When you name a product just one letter different from another product in the same category, but from a different maker, it's fairly safe to say that when it's got the same (or intentioned to have) look and feel it's not about innovation, but about actually - yes - copying the product in some fashion and making it different by what you define to be needed to be included to make a better product. (oh and that last part would actually be innovation again! Hmmm...)

Why?

It was their attempt to actually give Windows users the option to have Linux and it's advantages without actually relearning or "refeeling" anything...

It's like building a car that looks just like your old one, but with a different engine, tires and whatnot.

You can argue how good they were at it, whether it's something you'd opt to use (actually I think it's targeting elder people who learned Windows, but somehow want or are "told" to switch to Linux (WHYEVER...)), but you can't argue the point of copying.

Copying is not bad at all. If you do it properly, it's actually what moves the tech industry forward (as opposed to small branches or just features of single products of a company).

No copying, no moving forward.

Don't get me started on this one.

Unfortunately this is another example of

"Hey, why not bring a good GUI concept to this system?"

-"Yeah!"

"Don't get too concerned about details and removing redundancies, okay? This is still GNOME/KDE/<insert>"

What a BAD copy.

Don't get me wrong. Copies can be AWESOME - when done RIGHT.

This is so badly copied it leaves every Win 7 GUI fan crying.

I'd much rather take something completely different than a bad copy.

If you want a good "copy" of a major OS GUI (not Win 7 in this case though) take elementary OS for an example! (Y)

Elementary OS: Now that is a sharp, nice looking, clean OS. I like it.

• Like 1

Arch for advanced!? Are you CRAZY!?

I use arch on a server and this PC, yeah it's great and all but it's certainly not advanced, gentoo is advanced, build your own kernel and packages SPECIFIC to your exact hardware.

Elementary OS: Now that is a sharp, nice looking, clean OS. I like it.

Made it my primary OS on my netbook.

Simply because I was tired of hackintoshing my netbook (which was a pain either way... Might do it for tinkering's sake again though) and wanted a nice looking Apple-esque OS GUI.

Elementary looks incredibly promising and I REALLY like it.

It basically brought me back using Linux more again and nowadays I know many software releases available to Linux as I use way more open source applications.

It truly is a good Linux distro with a better GUI for once.

• 2 weeks later...

I have several netbooks. And installed Zorin OS on one of my netbooks as the only OS. That netbook used to have Windows 7 on it But now runs Linux as the only OS.

I chose Zorin OS because of the Windows Style start menu. But I have had problems with Zorin and have had to reinstall the operating system several times. I have found that after I have restarted my computer the taskbar or panel has disappeared . And I have not been able to restore it. Now for the 7th time I have again reinstalled Zorin because of this. But after an update the taskbar has again vanished and without it I have no way of accessing the start menu.

So in the end I uninstalled it and have now installed Linux Mint 11 Gnome edition on that netbook. And I am not having any problems and the taskbar is still there.Linux Mint also has the Windows style start menu and you can also pin short cuts to the desktop like on Windows.

I think the problem I have with the taskbar disappearing on Zorin OS could be some kind of a bug or virus that they have not fixed. But maybe the next version of Zorin OS might be more stable. There is also a Zorin OS Lite based on Lubuntu and I tried it out in live CD. But I don't see the need to install it when we have got that in Linux Mint LXDE. And Linux Mint is much more stable.

I have also tried Xubuntu in live CD and I am going to install it on my second netbook. The taskbar on Xubuntu is at the top of the screen by default. But you can move it to the bottom like on Windows or even have it on the left or right hand side if you want to.

A lot of Linux versions do have the windows style start menu on the left hand side. Which Windows users like me are familiar with and as well as pinning short cuts to the desktop. you can also rename Rubbish Bin, Recycle Bin and folders like Documents,My Documents to give you that Windows feel.

If you have limited experience with computers like I have,Linux can be hard to use.And it is not as user friendly as Windows. But the easiest version to start with is Linux Mint Gnome as it is made for Windows users new to Linux. And has the Windows style start menu. And has all of the plug in such as Adobe flash player needed to play videos. So you don't have to install anything. Andrea Borman.

A lot of Linux version do have the windows style start menu on the left hand side. Which Windows users like me are familiar with and as well as pinning short cuts to the desktop. you can also rename Rubbish Bin, Recycle Bin and folders like Documents,My Documents to give you that Windows feel.

If you want everything to work, look 'n' feel like Windows, save yourself the trouble and just use Windows...

I'm using Zorin OS Lite, which uses LXDE. The current version is based on Lubuntu 11.10. It looks good and it works good but it's still Linux.

If you want everything to work, look 'n' feel like Windows, save yourself the trouble and just use Windows...

Yes you are right. Some versions of Linux look like Windows at first glance,but Linux is not the same as Windows. It is not as user friendly as Windows. And if you break something on Linux,like I have done several times by tweaking or clicking the wrong settings. You are often stuck because you cannot repair it. And there is no System Restore like on Windows. So I end up reinstalling the whole system.

But on Windows these problems would have been fixed in five minutes. And I seldom have to reinstall Windows.

Also installing programs on Linux is different it is very difficult to install software from the internet. So basically,if the software you want is not in the package manager,then you cannot have it. In most cases.

But on Windows you can of course download any software you want from the internet. Also another disadvantage on Linux is that you have to log in with a password and enter it every time you do something on your own computer. And there is no way to disable this feature.

But on Windows you do not have to have a password if you do not want one. So I don't have a password. And on Linux of course I have not found a way out of having to have a password. But what I do is set up an easy to remember password which can even be one or two letters,for example Yes or No or even just type in one number4,something that you will never forget. So you can even set up a one or 2 letter password. It is kind of cheating but it works.But Linux won't let you set up your user account without a password like Windows does.

If you install Wine on Linux you can run Windows software,but Internet Explorer web browsers and software based on IE does not run well on Linux.But Pale Moon and Comet Bird web browsers which are Firefox web browsers strictly for Windows only run well on Linux.But they are not based on IE. But Aim messenger and Green browser which is IE based installs but does not run on Linux.

It is true that when I am on Linux Mint I think like I do on Windows.I pin as many items as I can to my desktop as short cuts like I do on Windows.I rename Trash,Recycle Bin and my folders My Documents and My Computer to give them the familiar Windows feel.And you have even got the Windows style start menu in the left hand corner on Linux Mint just like on Windows.

But I can only do simple things on Linux,nothing more but I want to get to know Linux better. Xubuntu is a good choice. The start menu is at the top of the screen but you can move it to the bottom like on Windows. Lubuntu is another good choice. I would like to try KDE but someone told me it does not run well on a 1GB ram netbook like mine. But I don't know if that is true or not.

Andrea Borman.

Bottom line: You run Linux because you find it limiting compared to Windows?

:/

Well with the threat of Windows 8 the next version of Windows being made without a start menu and the Metro theme. And knowing that often when Microsoft make a new version of Windows,they stop selling the old version. So if one day that happens and you can no longer buy Windows 7.

Because I cannot use the new version of Windows,I am thinking " well what's the alternative?" Linux does have a Windows style start menu and desktop. A lot of them do anyway. So at least you can get around it.And find all of your programs and settings. But you cannot with this new version of Windows-Windows 8 with the Metro theme.

But that's not the only reason why I installed Linux on one of my many netbooks. It is also good to try something different.

Andrea Borman.