Should the iPad be allowed in schools?

It would just be like when we had computer classes and typing classes. Nowadays they are using tablets to type out their assignments. Computers are tools and didn't replace our writing skills at all. We were allowed to use computers at specific times and even not everyday.

The OP's source article is incredibly poorly researched. Sure, and iPad is more expensive than *a* pen and *a* piece of paper, but? come on.

A friend of mine recently did the first 1-1 deployment of iPads in a school in the UK, Cedars in Scotland. If you do a technology deployment well, it doesn't replace teachers or balloon the budget. For example, yesterday he tweeted:

Just calculated that our school fees at Cedars are almost exactly in line with average spending per pupil in state schools.

(Source)

The school is now running an iTunes U course, Fraser runs a blog and was featured by Apple if you genuinely want to read more into using technology like iPad in schools.

Just an addition to an above post of mine;

Without being able to lock down/control what students can or cannot do on an iPad, they are stupid. The support team would be spending most of their time undoing the damage caused to iOS by the students.

Should be allowed only if the proper management tools are set. You can easily blacklist unauthorized sites at server level. Also installing apps require a password, even free ones.

This could save a lot of resources.

I think they could be used in schools for certain things. Perhaps used in ICT classes, or music classes. I see no need for an iPad in an English lesson or a Maths lesson. I remember when I started my A Levels we were told we could buy a laptop, and they had various tiers in terms of price and spec. I think mine cost ?200. If they roll out the same for iPads, there's going to be a lot of poor parents out there.

iPads aren't needed until you reach college/sixth form level. If the pupils are aged 16 and above you shouldn't need to have anywhere near as many parental/network controls in place as you would for younger students. I don't know anything about blocking websites or apps, but surely it's more complex to block an app than it is to block a website? I could be wrong.

No. While tablets are fun as others have pointed out the technological convenience of them can end up being disastrous on the students' communication skills. In some areas they're better than pen and paper and in others they fall quite short.

But then I don't feel that children should have smartphones either.

That's either an exaggeration or you went to pretty much the worst school in the universe. (That's also a slight exaggeration.)

i went to public School and ALL my math teachers hated calculators with a passion, in the mid 80's the mindset was still to force you to memorize every and all equations as well as to which one to use when it was necessary, needless to say, computers and calculators have always been available and the n"need" to know such useless information has been reduced, even my kids, on just graduated HS, two more still in HS and the calculator is only used as a supplement to learning all the unnecessary equations on top of knowing when to use them.

Based on my experience all you really need in the real world is to know what equation to use based on need and to let the computer/calculator do the job it was created for

Ass for tablets/laptops/ultrabooks it all depends on the classes and like said all the negatives can be easily "fixed" by a competent admin, even if the child is using a personal device. But at not time should schools be spending their limited resources purchasing the devices, let the parents that are foolish enough to give a second grader such an expensive device deal with the repairs, heck most HS students are not capable of maintaining their own devices, so rarely should the school ever supply them

Don't really see the point in it, unless using some specialized apps like the anatomy one which can be helpful.

Otherwise don't let them get too comfortable/lazy with technology.

I think kids should become familiar with technology while they're in school but unless the price comes way down for iPad like devices, I am entirely against them replacing traditional learning material. I don't have kids and this may come off as being a dick, but the majority of property taxes I pay for my house and car go toward schools and frankly, I'm tired of paying for other peoples kids to go to school. Every year I see parents get thousands back in tax returns while I get maybe a grand back in state/federal taxes combined. If anything, singles and couples with no kids should get a tax break for not contributing to the overpopulation of the planet!

The US spends more on education than any nation in the world and only a fool would conclude we profit from it. You don't need an iPad to teach reading, writing and mathematics. You don't need a $10,000 "Smart board" to illustrate things to a classroom. Have technology focused classes to teach the use of such things by all means, but don't equip an entire class with the latest technology and expect the tech to do the teaching!

Cons:

More expensive than pen an paper

True, but the cost will come down drastically in the not too distant future. Two years ago, I bought a brand new (nokia) mobile phone with a colour screen (and an LED flash light lol) for ?15, no contract, and it came with ?10 worth of calling credit.

- Regardless, it's still more expensive than pen and paper.

Dependency on technology for learning ? may not be skilled or aware of traditional learning sources such as the use of library books.

Lessons in using traditional sources should be given.

- I'll give you that one. These are just tools not replacements.

Can be a distraction with the multitude of non-educational apps at student?s disposal as well as access to social media, chatrooms etc on the internet

It should be a requirement that during lesson times, only a strict set of apps are enabled, and various websites are blacklisted. Don't think iOS has that capability, but then the iPad is not the only option for tablet computing.

- Should be, but isn't. I'm quite sure he's talking about iPads being in school in the present. The discussion is questioning about the iPad being in schools, not other tablets.

Online social media are readily accessible to the detriment of the development of interpersonal conversational skills, social and emotional development. Essentially interaction is with the technology rather than directly with another person.

"FaceTime"

- Yes, where it is required that every student sign up for an Apple account. I can see a big problem with this.

Social networking exposes students to inappropriate material, sexual predators, cyber bullying etc

Indeed it does, school seems as good a place as any to learn about that.

- I agree; school is about education, and that stuff happens anywhere regardless of the Internet.

Though the knowledge available in the internet is unlimited the correctness and accuracy of information is questionable.

Books are flawed too. Choose your sources wisely.

- Somewhat agree. Original claim is ridiculous since I'm quite sure books can be read on iPad too.

Hampered by slow connections to the school network, slow boot times, virus scans, flat batteries and so on. In addition to this crashes could result in data loss and reverse workflow.

All easily overcome with current technology.

- Not without some major expenses.

Will take more time, energy and cost to secure and monitor uses of technologies.

A solid policy should mitigate that from the outset.

- I suppose.

Grammar and handwriting skills are affected as students become reliant on typing and spellcheckers.

If your grammar sucks, you get marked down for it. I don't see why there should be any change there. Spell check should be disabled, especially in English lessons. Specific lessons in handwriting should be given, to compensate. I actually think doing that would raise the overall standard.

- I'm not sure about iPads, but there are grammar checks available on other software like Microsoft Word. So students could possibly cheat that way. Also the problem isn't spell check or grammar check; it's students' ability to recognize a vast majority on their own. That's what spelling quizzes, and grammar worksheets are for.

If the question is if kids can bring their own personal ipads that they/their parents buy for them to school to aid them in their learning, then sure.

If the question is if tax dollars should be used to purchase every student one of these expensive products, then no.

Yes, but you know someone will complain how disadvantaged kids will feel bad b/c their parents can't afford one, so either nobody will be allowed to or the district will pay for them all. Schools tend to have an all-or-nothing approach for baseline education. Extracurriculars are something else.

I really don't think it is time yet to have ipads in the classroom. Maybe in 3 years I think it will make sense for Ipad like device. I don't even think ipad should be used in general business. I do think in certain limited fields it is fine an useful.

As someone who works for a company, and especially a department, where every single asset is now delivered to our sales force via the iPad, I would have to say a resounding yes.

Because I am responsible for the technology that trains that sales force, which is 2500 strong, I am well aware since we implement software that literally whole companies whose sole existence is literally built upon applications for the classroom setting, that a whole, whole lot can be done with the iPad and "the student." These are not apps you find on the App Store. They are apps that need to be deployed with a MDM solution (mobile device management) and through an enterprise license. So these are not mainstream apps. They are the type of apps that 95% of people never heard of or even know that they exist until they have the need to find them.

Said apps let you control all aspects of the classroom such as any and all documents needed for the class itself. Full curriculum management. ARS systems (audience response systems), assessments (tests) and those are the bigger features. There are a whole host of other smaller features that make management of a classroom setting extemely streamlined.

Now obviously it depends on the schools budget, etc., but based on what I have seen accomplished in my workplace in classroom scenarios, as I said, my vote is a resounding yes.

I will also say I believe wether you like or hate the iPad, it does more or less represent the future of computing. And that is the convergence of mobile and laptop devices. So might as well also prep the students for what they will be dealing with in the not to distant future.

I will also add, I believe only students of a certain age should get them as well. No reason or need why they should be in a middle school for example. That is when the students should still be honing their fundamental skills. If they cannot read a book or write on a piece of paper, you cannot expect them to do so on a computer. Pretty simple stuff when it comes down to it.

When it comes down to it, I think the main question the OP was wondering is whether the iPad is a better solution than other alternatives in general. Pencil and paper, smartboards and clickers, or laptops, or or other tablets and eReaders? Does an iPad merit a value over any of those things? Pencil and paper have worked for ages in power or no power. Smartboards and clickers allow direct interactivity. Laptops have capabilities to do more heavy duty stuff. Other tablets and eReaders have similar capabilities too. Does the cost of an iPad benefit the educational markets that much? Your view point is from that of a company.