Patch My PC - Not bad, not bad at all.

Is there a way to save the install files/windows update and then run the patch my pc application? I will like to roll out this app within my job, however it will be very slow if it is has to re download every time i run the app

Yeah, I'd trust this as much as I trust the auto driver update programs, not at all. It's windows update or manual/programs own updater. Only way to go.

Agreed. I tried that Driver update once and it installed a bunch of crap I didn't want. I just couldn't avoid it after awhile and was losing my mind, the download driver icon was on every webpage I went too, usually right next to another download link I was looking for and it was trying to confuse me into accidently clicking on it. Direct download for me as I don't trust these 3rd party gatekeepers, they always seem to have an alternative motive.

Well, it worked under Win8 x64. Only updated a couple things. But it was fast. Unlike Secunia.

Yep I use to use securnia also but to update just flash alone, it would take FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Last month I had added patchmypc to my scheduled tasks on my computer using the patchmypc.exe /s, so every night it would run in the background and install all the latest versions. Tonight, I went to open iTunes to get the newest security now for my walk, and i forgot I had setup patchmypc to run silently every night. When I went to open up iTunes i already had the newest version that just came out. I thought... That's a hell of a thing!

why in the hell are you giving this free advertising? It sucks! There is no way you can remove certain things and fix everything without sitting in front of the computer!

Try actually trying it before mouthing off mate, its actually a not bad bit of software which is perfect for your mom/dads to use and leave you in peace, we assessed it for managing in a locked down corp domain for such crud like adobe etc, ended up using ninite pro, cos its hassle free, but patch my pc is just as good! (and free!)

There is no way you can remove certain things and fix everything without sitting in front of the computer!

Err Logmein and RDP??? Bios access on physical machines is the ONLY thing you cant do with Logmein or RDP! Everything else CAN be done remotely. I do exactly this daily on 200 workstations and 35 servers (physical & Virtual). Jeesh!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One other nice thing about patchmypc that i've started using is it makes it really to install a handful of common applications after a clean install.

Open it and right click on all the applications you wish to install and select "Install / reinstall". The item will then turn red. Do that for every item you wish to install and then click the "Preform X number of updates" button. Then in 1 click all of the applications you selected will be downloaded and installed

Got ninite for that, though in general I hardly ever do a reinstall

I use it for Customer reinstalls saves me lots of time

I prefer reinstalls as a last resort unless the client requests it, and then, I do a reinstall, patch up with windows update, adobe reader, java, flash, and maybe office and AV on request.

Better to just install them manually, and most of them have web installers so I can just keep them on a USB stick with my tools.

I use it for Customer reinstalls saves me lots of time

What a great idea! I have 3 different peoples' computers right in front of me, and although I knew about that program, didn't even think about using it on them! Thanks, warwagon! (Y)

I prefer reinstalls as a last resort unless the client requests it, and then, I do a reinstall, patch up with windows update, adobe reader, java, flash, and maybe office and AV on request.

Better to just install them manually, and most of them have web installers so I can just keep them on a USB stick with my tools.

Well this way you don't have to open each individual web installer. Just select the apps you want and hit go and patchmypc does the rest automatic for you.

What a great idea! I have 3 different peoples' computers right in front of me, and although I knew about that program, didn't even think about using it on them! Thanks, warwagon! (Y)

ya give it a try on them, i'm pretty sure you will fall in love. One word of advice. For some reason if malwarebyes get updated with that application, patchmypc doesn't tell malwaredbytes to not reboot. So sometimes the PC will shut down and reboot after the malwarebytes updates with patchmypc. So I usually do that one by hand.

In the end it's so little work to launch those three installers it's less work than running this app.

The fastest and most efficient way is to download a ninite installe for them me store on the stick though.

But even then I would rather do it manually, then I know it's installed and works properly.

Well, I used it, and it was simply amazing! Saved me a huge amount of time. Thanks for the heads up about the malwarebytes update, though. I had already installed and updated it before hand on all 3 systems, so it wasn't an issue for me. Anyway, this nifty little jewel is now on a permanent fixture in my pc repair utility list. Awesome is the only word I can use to describe it! Very happy! :)

That UI needs some heavy polishing.

Sheesh!

I think that anyone who complains of just the UI has absolutely no clue as to why they don't like something. Who gives a crap what it looks like, if it works? I mean, are you going to set and stare at it all day, or what?

Personally,

I'm like the person on page 1 of these replies, I don't like these kind of programs either. Would rather update my stuff manually, but I might give this a try on the computers that come through here too.

I don't know if I'd trust it. Besides I'm usually running alpha/beta programs and I doubt this would update to higher alpha/beta releases.

Plus I tried a driver update program, Driver Doctor, it did it's thing, told me how many drivers were outdated, downloaded them and went to install, while installing each one by one said the driver about to be installed was older than the current installed, which I kind of thought too, so of course I cancelled them and uninstalled the program.

Like someone mentioned above, manual update is the best.

Who gives a crap what it looks like, if it works?

A lot of people do. It'd work just as well without a theme that fell out of 2002.

I doubt that it has anywhere near the size of application database as secunia, judging by the immature interface look it's still new software and may be much buggier than mentioned secunia's beta version, but, well, i haven't tried it yet!

The last version that I used seemed a bit slow but I tried version 2.3 and it worked pretty nicely.

A lot of people do. It'd work just as well without a theme that fell out of 2002.

Hmm... I actually LOVE the current interface.