Sign in to follow this  

Best rated or ranked paid Antivirus 2012, according to tests and user's

remixedcat    2,765

yeah, webroot is truly awful in all test on av-comparatives. I hope no-one has that installed. I used to use avast free but after looking at recent reviews on av-comparatives i saw that it was lacking compared to avira free in all tests so i switched.

post some task manager screenshots please....

ruh rohhh!

In May 2012, following a defective definition file update, AntiVirProActiv started blocking several legitimate Windows processes, and also preventing PCs from booting.[19] The problem was fixed through an update on 13 June 2012.[20]

[edit]

ahhell    1,306

Hello,

I have been doing some paid Antivirus software research on the internet, for the last couple days.

So you want us to do your job for you? That's nice. :s

StrikedOut    125

So you want us to do your job for you? That's nice. :s

No he didnt, read the whole post.

torrentthief    312

post some task manager screenshots please....

11mfbys.jpg

Another problem I had with avast was that it would use loads of cpu when i'm running programs, which slowed my computer down. I haven't had that problem so far with Avira.

Marshall    15,353

they came 11th in detection tests: http://www.av-compar...t_201209_en.pdf

it scored just 58/100 in malware detection tests (admittedly it was late 2011 when the testing was done): http://www.av-compar...m_201111_en.pdf

kaspersky, avira and bitdefender always perform well in all tests and have done for a very long time. Eset is much weaker than these 3.

I personally use Avira free and Comodo firewall, i have ad-aware and spybot installers incase i get some malware that i can't remove but i don't have those installed.

Comparatives.org is hardly a reputable source, they're known for creating financial deals with AV vendors in order to boost their score. Just the fact that Webroot got a 78 on their test proves this point.

The best testing platform is your own experiences.

+Odom    163

Another problem I had with avast was that it would use loads of cpu when i'm running programs, which slowed my computer down. I haven't had that problem so far with Avira.

Wow, compared to our Sophos:

Untitled3.png

Edit: screenshot wasn't showing

Edited by Odom

Yorak    416

I am going to quote myself from this thread:

After using ESET NOD32 for over four years, I finally found another product that I like a bit more. Avira Antivirus Premium 2013. In the past three or four days during my spare time, I have tested the newest versions of the most popular antivirus products including NOD32, Kaspersky, BitDefender, Avast!, AVG, Comodo, Avira, MSE, Norton, Avira, and Webroot SecureAnywhere. I did not plan on posting very specific test results, but I can probably separate them into a few categories for you. Among the worst are AVG, MSE, and Webroot. They had a combination of false positives and missed some hardcore malware. Honorable products include NOD32, Norton (holy hell, never thought I would say that...but they have improved dramatically), and BitDefender. The best results were from Avira, Kaspersky, and Comodo.

Funny, Avira doesn't mention that it has zero-day prevention, yet it blocked more than any other product. That is what impressed me the most. Comodo and Kaspersky were very close in quality to Avira, but I could not get over the ugly interface of both. Also, they included many features that I just will not use, so that is more RAM usage for no reason. Avira idles around 45-50 MB which is not the best, but I figured all around it was the most solid product and best fit for me. People will disagree with me, I'm sure. I recommend anyone in the market to renew their antivirus or perhaps get a new one should do the product testing themselves. It is kind of fun, not sure why! My girlfriend wondered how I could spend so much time doing something so "boring".

So yes, I did my own testing. I recommend everyone do this if you have the time. So far, I am absolutely loving Avira.