Best forum software?

Question

What is the best web forum software available? I'm not terribly concerned with programming language (I can run both PHP and ASP .NET). I'd like to keep the price under $200.

11 answers to this question

Have had decent results with vBulletin in the past, ~$200 for the midrange version. Partial to phpBB myself though, not because its free but it's just pretty easy to work with in general and overall pretty solid. Not as many features as the paid options though.. depends on your needs really.

Go for XenForo, you won't regret it, developed by the ex-developers of vBulletin 2/3 etc. http://xenforo.com. Great piece of software much more advanced (altough since it's quiet new you might miss a feature or two) than IPB, vB, Burning Board, phpBB, MyBB, SMF, etc.

SMF could be a good choice, but I had bad experience with it. My forums would always be hacked with SMF somehow :| Xenforo is great, it's easy to use, simple, and get's the job done.

I think I`ll check out XenForo. Thanks for the suggestions, guys :)

I'd go with IPB personally. Been working with it since 2004 and it's power and feature set are simply unmatched.

IPB or XenForo for paid and for free I recommend vanilla (advanced users) (extremely easy to add SSOs and plugins)

I would go with IPB or VB just because they are the leading forum softwares out there

the thing about VB is that the cheapest package is $195 and that's with just the forum. For IPB its $175 for just the forum and $25 for the adds from the suite and $75 for Nexus. Like others have stated it is all based on your needs. XF is nice but it's fairly new and doesn't have everything IPB and VB has.

VB does have more mods and skins compared to everyone else though